Author Topic: Entry into Yosemite could cost up to $70  (Read 2562 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Entry into Yosemite could cost up to $70
« on: October 30, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »
Heard this on the news last night: The National Park Service is asking for a steep fee increase at 17 of its most popular parks.  Visitors to Yosemite for example would be charged $70 per vehicle, up from the fee of $30 for a weekly pass. 

The 17 parks affected are:

● Acadia National Park (ACAD)
● Arches National Park (ARCH)
● Bryce Canyon National Park (BRCA)
● Canyonlands National Park (CANY)
● Denali National Park (DENA)
● Glacier National Park (GLAC)
● Grand Canyon National Park (GRCA)
● Grand Teton National Park (GRTE)
● Joshua Tree National Park (JOTR)
● Mount Rainier National Park (MORA)
● Rocky Mountain National Park (ROMO)
● Olympic National Park (OLYM)
● Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park (SEKI)
● Shenandoah National Park (SHEN)
● Yellowstone National Park (YELL)

The last fee increase in 2015 was supposed to help chip away at the $12 billion maintenance backlog that plagues the national park system.  So where did the last fee increase go to?  Also they just recently raised the cost of a lifetime Senior National Parks Pass from $10 to $80.

There is a 30-day public comment period if you like to respond to it.  Here is the link for comments:
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=442&projectID=75576&documentID=83652
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Entry into Yosemite could cost up to $70
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
It's more important to give tax breaks to the 1%, and also go further in to national debt???  Basic economics says you need tax breaks during a "full employment" level economy to spur further growth???  NOT!!! 

Or, we could invest in infrastructure upgrades and properly fund our parks and wildland programs.  Favorable interest rates and good economic numbers are perfect times to invest in our country!!! 

Like my dad said.  Wish in one hand, and s**t in the other.  Which will get fulfilled first?

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:28:10 PM by John Harper »

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
"From comment website"

All of the money will stay within the National Park Service. 80% of the money will remain in the
park where it is collected. The other 20% will be spent on projects in other national parks. The
funds will be expended on projects and activities that further the mission and purpose of the
NPS, with an emphasis on deferred maintenance. This includes roads, bridges, campgrounds,
waterlines, bathrooms, and other visitor services.

If it improves park infrastructure in any small way I am OK with it.

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »
When I first heard this on the news either late Friday or on Saturday my first thoughts were:

- Typical Administrative and PR ploy to release a news item, which will likely not be well received, late on a Friday and hope something else newsworthy develops and overshadows the release by Monday Morning.

- That as stated in the news story as I heard it, and stated above by Littlefish, the majority of the Funds collected by each park will 'stay' in that park's coffers and budget and are to be targeted specifically for the immediate REPAIR, upkeep and infrastructure improvements in said park.  I thought to myself, well if accurate and it really plays out that way, and we see immediate improvements on currently deteriorating resources, that would really be a great thing.  However I fear delays in application, and final direction, of where the funds go, and that said 'new found money' may be used for FUTURE and NEW developments.  Those are important for the long run, but can be funded in other ways and while more immediately and urgently maintaining and preserving important historical elements of the Park(s).

- Lastly, I thought about the comparative value of entry after the dramatic increase in price - $70 is a lot of money, particularly for a Government Location allegedly supported by our Federal Taxes at work - however if on average there are at least 3 to 4 people in a vehicle, and many (although US Citizens and pay taxes) are from out of state or are out of country tourists, they are also likely budgeting for some of these expenses. Example -  they likely pay $5 to $10 in one way single trip short mileage bridge and toll road fees elsewhere during their journeys, let alone the additional price of Parking and single person admission ticket pricing when going to visit a for-profit Theme Park(s), Animal Parks, Round of Golf, (even payment for a Guide Service etc.  ;).  Most people are familiar with the cost of at least 3 o 4 people going to see a first run movie in a Theater.   A visit to the park will, in most cases, last longer than 2 1/2 hours and have a far greater experience in general and a likely positive life-long lasting memory.

So I still think it sucks, however I am a realist and try to maintain a positive outlook.  It is unfortunate, however appears unavoidably necessary at this point in our lives and for the future - as long as the money goes where it is supposed to, and quickly.

As stated above - if the money is really and truly being used to fix things in the park(s), and ASAP after collecting the funds, if not in advance based on budget forecasting of increased revenues to be realized in the future, this could be a very good development and may help stop the unaddressed deterioration, and resulting blight in some cases, that is now occurring due to the continued increase in popularity (visitors) in National Parks like Yosemite.  Think of the many simple things like the dilapidated structure around Soda Springs in Tuolumne Meadows and others like that. The decades old sewer systems that don't get repaired, and therefore are turned off, leaving structures unused, and un-maintained to deteriorate further. These should never have been allowed to deteriorate to the level which they have. 

It is unfortunate that the Concessionaire Arrangement does not seem to benefit the park(s) and the paying public at the level it should.  And let's face it, we all know who pays the price - no pun intended.

Just my 2 cents worth and IMHO.

P A C

johnjcampnfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »
On the bright side, business should improve for the Tiger Bar, Tom's Place, Schatt's and others as my trip home from Saddlebag will take the scenic 395 route instead of the Yosemite route.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »
Not that I go all that many times a year but somehow it makes me feel better that the proposed season pass would be $75. If you were to even go twice in the same season it wouldn't hardly be any increase at all.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 12:21:56 PM »
I usually go to Yosemite 3-6 times a year, so the annual pass looks like the best deal for now.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
good points PAC about the costs of other things such as movies..  and then there is disneyland. (while i have no idea what the cost is there anymote, i am sure it is more than this price hike.

and if the money actually gets used in the parks, that would be grand.

so now to decide.. am i happy that i can pay less to get into Mt Lassen?   or am i sad because it wont get as much money?
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Mr. Magoo

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »

America the Beautiful Passes
The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Series

A pass is your ticket to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites. Each pass covers entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges as well as standard amenity fees (day use fees) at national forests and grasslands, and at lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. A pass covers entrance, standard amenity fees and day use fees for a driver and all passengers in a personal vehicle at per vehicle fee areas (or up to four adults at sites that charge per person). Children age 15 or under are admitted free.

See a list of federal recreation sites (PDF), including national parks, where the passes are issued.

The following passes are available:

Annual Pass - Cost: $80 annual pass Available for: Everyone
    Free Annual Pass for U.S. Military
    Annual 4th Grade Pass
    Senior Pass -  $80 Lifetime Senior Pass  $20 Annual Senior Pass
    Access Pass
    Volunteer Pass

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#

StephenH

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 09:38:55 PM »
Great! The parks were way too crowded anyway. Implementing this might help greatly cut the riff raff. And people do pay for Disneylend.