Author Topic: 2 day backpacking trip help  (Read 1308 times)

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
2 day backpacking trip help
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »
So I have got the go ahead from the boss (aka wife) to take my soon to be 12y/o on our first father/son backpacking trip.  I plan to do 2 nights.  We camp about 3 times/year and this will be our first overnight non car-camping trip together just to give your my experience level in the backcountry overnight. My bucket list is to finally get into some golden trout (even more so after seeing wshawkins recent posts!).  I am thinking cottonwood lakes is my first option but I was hoping to get more ideas.  I want to limit the trek to about 8 miles one way for his trip which puts cottonwood lakes right below that.  Does anyone else have other suggestions?  I appreciate any advice.

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: 2 day backpacking trip help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:51:03 PM »
Purple Lake  over Duck Pass  out of Mammoth is in that mileage range I believe. There are several lakes within day hike range from that area.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:06 AM »
I think that the Cottonwood Lakes would be an excellent choice. Keep in mind that the trout season in the CL does not open until July1st. Twenty Lakes basin where wshawkins has been writing about would also be a great option. Cottonwood Lakes would be an almost guarantee on catching a golden.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:51:07 AM by Gary C. »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:31:52 AM »
Cottonwood Lakes is a great choice as its all-golden up there.  I usually camp near #3 as it makes easy access to all 5 lakes.  If it gets too crowded in Cottonwood Lakes, take the trail towards New Army Pass where you have many more golden lakes to test your skills.
Other Suggestions:

I believe Purple Lake has only Rainbows (at least thatís all I caught in 2015).  Now if you go to the next lake on this trail which is Virginia Lake, itís all golden!  Also just before you get to Purple Lake on your left is the turnoff for Ram Lake Basin Trail.  Takes you to Ĺ dozen golden lakes, some with good size!

Little Lakes Valley has Treasure Lakes.  Lakes #3 & #4 have the golden trout.

Little Lakes over Mono Pass to Pioneer Basin has several Golden lakes.  Golden Lake is my favorite.

Tioga Pass at 20 Lakes Basin has many golden lakes and a much easier hike.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »
Thanks to everyone!  Gives me some great ideas!
I wasn't aware treasure lakes in LLV had goldens, we've never gone that far up the trail. 
Doesn't the treasure lakes above south lake in bishop creek area also have goldens?

thanks again!

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
We based camped at Purple. WSH is right, no goldens there but excellent at Lake Virginia (state record golden caught there). Also nice goldens at Ram Lakes but a little tougher access there.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
Bishop Creek Canyon Treasure Lakes #1 & #2 Consists of Goldens and Golden/Rainbow Hybrids.  Treasure Lakes #3 through #7 are "fishless" for the Mountain Yellow-legged Frog enhancement program.

This is an easy hike with BIG rewards. Only 3 miles from South Lake trailhead, you will be impressed with both the scenery and the quality of the fishing. With a little adventuring, many off-trail lakes in the Treasure Lake Basin can be found from here.  Campsites abound in this area, and this is a great beginner hike. 

I did a trip report (Bishop Creek Canyon) and covered Treasure Lakes on Page 2 & 6.  http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?topic=953.0
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 09:49:02 PM »
Thank you for pointing me to this. I remember reading about this back then and probably where I first learned there were Goldens there but just forgot where I heard it!! Great pics as always and a wealth of knowledge from everyone!