Author Topic: Snow Report?  (Read 1109 times)

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
Snow Report?
« on: January 29, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »
Anyone know the current conditions of Rock Creek?  Donít think there has been much snow yet...
The creek is waiting...

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Report?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 05:06:53 PM »
Just after the New Year the Sierra snowpack was only 3% of normal.  Last week I heard it was up to about 25% and they've gotten a lil more snow since then so things are looking up somewhat but we still need a lot more.  As far as Rock Creek road,  I have some friends who parked at the snow park last week and hiked to the lake,  it was pretty snowy,  a foot or two on the road,  but they made it without a problem.  Not sure if there is any snow in the forecast for a while,  hopefully that will change  :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »
Thanks Topwater...we will be up next weekend to hike back in and check out the homestead.  I will make sure to bring my snowshoes!
The creek is waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:02:52 AM »
As of last Friday, my last trip to the spring, there wasn't much snow at East Fork, maybe three inches, you may not need your snowshoes, unless you want to hike to the Lake....the shady road into your cabin might have more snow on it. It's been in the 40s and low 50s in Crowley the last few days, not much snow here at all. This is one of the worst winters I've seen in a long time, if ever. Maybe a Miracle March?

beantown

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
my friend and I skinned into Little lakes valley on 1/27/18.  4-6" of fresh snow on the road up to the lake, no old snow.  Past lake to mosquito flats more snow but not a lot.  mosquito flats to long lake varies thin to 2' +/- but you don't need snow shoes.  lakes frozen over and safe to cross.  treasure lakes drainage still has rocks showing thru snow.  We set out to do mt dade cats ears but still rocky on the approach from treasure lakes and up and the couloir not filled in.  only thing filled in to ski/ride was the hourglass which we did.  we spent the night and on 1/28/18 the road was almost melted out below RCL.  its most likely snow free now.  pretty low tide for up high
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:10:41 PM by beantown »

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 09:03:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I have been watching those warm temps and I am sure it is melting the snow.  It was 90 degrees down here in SoCal this week.  Was really hoping for another good winter to kill off those stupid bark beetles!  Lets hope for a Miracle March
The creek is waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »
I just got back from my weekly trip up the Canyon, the gate was open at East Fork, I was able to drive, on dry pavement, up to the Lake, actually to the Pack Station, the gate was closed there, but the road to Mosquito Flat was dry for as far as I could see. In all the years I've lived here, this is a first. The Lake has a few inches of snow, there are bare patches of dirt around the boat docks, I probably could have walked to the upper end without any problem.
It's going to be an interesting summer....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
We were up on Saturday too and drove right in which was odd for this time of the year.  Drove up to the lake and saw a bald eagle eating some trout, which was really cool.  Drove down to the boat ramp thru some patches of snow. Heard it is snowing up there today so hope it continues. 
The creek is waiting...