Author Topic: Can't wait to get to the creek!  (Read 283 times)

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Can't wait to get to the creek!
« on: June 28, 2018, 03:07:03 AM »
It's almost three in the morning and I'm sitting here at work thinking I should just go home. Vacation starts at 7:30 and I'm not getting any work done anyhow. Just thinking about the Sierra. Saturday morning we p/u our permit and head for the Mosquito Flats BK camp and a Sunday morning start up the mountain. Taking it easy and keeping the hiking days short and fishing/resting time maximized. Mosquito Flats to Ruby Lake, Fourth Recess Lake, Third Recess Lake, Pioneer Basin, and maybe back to Fourth Recess before coming back over the pass again to the truck.

We hope the skeeters leave us alone but know they won't. We hope the smoke doesn't bother us but we know it will. Really don't care because we will be high in the Sierra and fishing will be great. I'll post a report and some pictures after we get back.
 :hiking2:

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Can't wait to get to the creek!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:58:07 AM »
The anticipation of the trip is the real starting point and we are envious!

We hope you have a great time!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:37:23 AM »
Sounds like a great trip planned!  As you know the mosquito's can get bad in Pioneer Basin, especially at the lower Pioneer Lakes.  Hope your bringing a mosquito head net.  Only thing I would do differently is end with trip at Golden Lake.  Youll see the cutoff about mile past 4th Recess Lake trail.  About 0.3 mile to Golden from there from the Trail split. Can be tough fishing there but a chance at some larger than normal Goldens.  Golden Creek is also good for 6-8 goldens if using a light pole.  Either way Im jealous!  Have fun! :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:10:27 PM »
wshawkins, I had thought about spending the last night at Golden Lake but from the pictures I've seen and satellite views I don't see much in the way of camp site space? There are seven of us (5 tents). I've seen and walked past the trail up to GL before but never went up it. Also I assume that there is a use trail from the GL inlet to the trail near Summit Lake?

As for the skeeters we are all bringing head nets and spraying our cloths with permethrin. I tell everyone to bring there preferred mosquito repellent but also pretty much insist that they bring at least  one small container of 100% DEET. I dislike using DEET as much as anyone but when the skeeters are really bad nothing works better.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 03:24:57 PM »
Wonder years from now they will come out and say Deet "may" cause cancer.