Author Topic: Mosquito Flats to Fourth Recess TR 1st week in July  (Read 764 times)

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Mosquito Flats to Fourth Recess TR 1st week in July
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:51:48 AM »
This is kind of a lame way to post a TR. Tried using a new picture host and didn't resize my pics the way I should have. Been trying to fix it off and on but they finally worked on the High Sierra Topix forum so I'm just posting a link. We had a great time and I hope that you can enjoy the report from there.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18587

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Mosquito Flats to Fourth Recess TR 1st week in July
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 06:51:30 AM »
Thanks for the nice trip report with some great pictures to one of my all-time favorite places to backpack.  Looks like all of you had great time and had some good weather on this trip.  Thanks for sharing! :fishing4:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
Wow Gary, 

Great TR and Photos.   :goodpost:

I would doubt that anyone would think it 'lame' to accomplish posting it any way possible.  You got it done and we can enjoy it.  Thank you for that. :clap:

So out of curiosity, in a previous post in advance of this trip you mentioned treating all of your clothing and gear in Permethrin to ward of the Mosquitoes and related insects - I am curious how that worked out?  Would you do it again in a similar situation?  Anyone experience any skin or other irritation during or after the trip?

I didn't see anyone wearing a Head Net, were those needed earlier or later in the day or were you able to dodge the pests altogether ? 

Thanks for sharing, your destinations, the reports and photos are always great!   :twothumbs:

All the best, P A C

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:29:23 PM »
Good report even if it didnt work here. Thanks Gary C

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
WOW Gary!     

what a great trip report!

i especially love that pic of the fish feeding at sunset...   so gorogus!

hope Vinces knee is feeling better... that had to hurt!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
PAC, We have been using the Sawyer product for years and no one has had a reaction yet. You would never even know the stuff is on your cloths except that you can tell the difference it makes. You will see the mosquitos land on the clothing but they take off again almost instantly. It's not 100% effective but well worth using. i don't know if they keep changing the formula or what but their claims seem to change from year to year. The current claims are that it will last 42 days or 6 washings.

We really lucked out this year considering how early we went. The mosquitos were at the worse at Mosquito Flats the evening that we arrived. I used DEET while were there. After that Debbie and I used Bullfrog and our friends Vince and Tania were able to get by using Avon's Skin So Soft.

Here is what we treat our clothes with.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Products-Premium-Insect-Repellent-for-Clothing-and-Gear/19887389

LH, Vince's knee was a lot better by the time we put the packs back but it was still painful for him on the downhills.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:31:48 PM by Gary C. »

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »
Great Report Gary! Thanx
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock