Author Topic: The Palisades  (Read 24666 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: The Palisades
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2018, 06:35:57 AM »
The Palisades

Last Post – Hike Back to Trailhead

After slaying the trout in Black Lake, it was time to head down the trail.  Past Black Lake the path leaves the shade of the trees and begins the sharp descent back to the head of the main canyon, near First Lake.  I would hate to hike up this trail as its real steep.  Less than 2 hours later I was back to the Trailhead and to my truck and my backpacking trip was history.

Black Lake Loop Trail

Trail down Black Lake Loop Trail looking down at Big Pine Lakes #1 & #2

My favorite trip for 2017, best fishing trip (Over 100+ trout plus 5 different species caught plus a few odd Hybrids) and loved the warm weather (Shorts and t-shirt most days), light jacket during afternoon showers and chilly but sleep good weather at night.  As for crowds, there were none.  After leaving 3rd Big Pine Lake, I didn’t see another single person until back to my truck.  The way your backcountry experience should be.

One last photo…….Standing on the northern side of Big Pine Basin, visitors are given a spectacular view of the Palisade Glacier and surrounding peaks framed perfectly right above the lake.  These impressive peaks viewed from this photo from left to right are: 
Temple Crag 12,976 ft, Mount Gayley 13,510 ft, Mount Sil 14,153 ft, North Palisades 14,242 ft, Thunderbolt Peak 14,003 ft, Mount Robinson 12,967 ft, Mount Winchell 13,775 ft and Mount Agassiz 13,892 ft.

The Palisades – Zoom Photo
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2018, 07:13:55 AM »
Outstanding report! I finally got to Black Lake. :clap:
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
Outstanding report! I finally got to Black Lake. :clap:

Thanks bj!  Black Lake was a joy to fish.  You could possibly day hike to Black Lake, but the final mile has a tough 1,000 ft. elevation gain.   :hiking2: :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Maybe in the old days, Ha!
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
The Palisades

One last post for the fishing in the Big Pine Lakes.  What’s unique in the Palisades is the opportunity of catching five different species of trout!  Very few places like this exist.  Many of the trout species also had varied color patterns and add to that the many hybrid trout you can catch in this valley.  Some hybrids were very unusual and one was somewhat rare.  Thought I would share some of the photos I took of them. 

Feel free to speak out if you think you know what species or hybrid they are .  Others may disagree, but it’s all in good fun.  Any guesses of what they might be???

Trout:
Very common trout but many get it wrong due to the spots and bright belly.  Check out the different colors of the same species of trout.
#1a   Trout?   

#1b   Trout   

Love the colors on this one!
#1c   Trout

Very common trout and a favorite for many fishermen/women.  Also comes in many different variations.
#2a   Trout?   

#2b   Trout?

#2c   Trout?

Many get this trout wrong.  This is an adolescent trout so don’t have the adult markings yet.
#3    Trout?

This trout gets confused with #1 a lot.  The color usually will darken with age.
#4a   Trout

Light Colored
#4b   Trout

Adult Trout
#4c   Trout

My favorite trout to catch and possible the most colorful.  Many variations to this trout too.
#5a   Trout

#5b

The smallest one I ever caught, maybe 3” but still has great color.
#5c

Hybrids:
Very common hybrid, usually in lakes above 10,000 feet.  This is an excellent example with being 50/50 with great colors.
#6   Hybrid Trout

Any guesses on this hybrid?
#7   Hybrid Trout

First one of these I caught in theses lakes and only the third one caught in the last decade. 
#8   Hybrid Trout

That’s it for now.  As you can see the trout variety is endless in The Palisades.  Take a guess if you like or just enjoy the photos at your leisure.  No Pressure, this is all in fun!  Heading to the Hawaii Islands for a family vacation soon and in June will be my first Eastern Sierra trip that’s planned.  I have some great (I hope) trips planned for summer and fall 2018 too.  Best Regards!

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
My Guesses are:

1-Brook
2-Bow
3-Cutt
4-Brown
5-Golden
6-Golden/bow
7-?
8-??
Hardrock

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
WSH - WONDERFUL completed post and great follow up addition with the photos of the gorgeous fish found in the area!  Thank You!

I'm with BJ on his selections.

My additional guesses:

7 - A darker/stream-based Rainbow/Golden Hybrid or even possibly a Kern River Rainbow/Golden ( based on the profusion of black spots as well as Parr Marks, yet with the white tipped fins not normally found on Rainbows)

8 - the unique and 'relatively new' TIGER Trout - a Brown/Eastern Brook Hybrid primarily bred in hatcheries over the past 30+ years.  They are sterile, and are the combination of of male brook trout milt with female brown trout eggs. 

PS - I keep searching for the story about a Piano being hauled in to the LC Cabin.  I know I saw it somewhere in the past - maybe it was in an old article in a document somewhere up in the actual Big Pine Area, like at the Glacier Lodge or Pack Station or other place of business, or in some other old marketing brochure for the area.  I am now on a mission to find it.  I recall a hand drawn picture supporting the story with an image of LC  appearing as if dressed in one of his costume roles and with a 'monstrous facial expression', standing up, playing the Piano with an audience of 2 or 3. 

Thank you again for sharing your journeys and experiences with us. :clap:

All the Best!  P A C

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
Was it Tiger trout they were playing with at the little reservoir near Kirman Lake out of Bridgeport? It was dry the last time I was there.
Hardrock

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
I'm not aware of that, but would love to learn more if that is/was happening.

I do know the former DFG attempted to establish a Grayling habitat and population in 'nearby' Lobdell Lake - however it was unsustainable due to the drought, as you refer to, which makes me wonder if that is the lake and fish you might be thinking of. (?)

All the Best.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2018, 10:10:26 PM »
My Guesses are:

1-Brook
2-Bow
3-Cutt
4-Brown
5-Golden
6-Golden/bow
7-?
8-??

Nailed the first 6 guesses.  Thought that Cutt might throw you off bj.  Nicely done!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2018, 10:11:18 PM »
WSH - WONDERFUL completed post and great follow up addition with the photos of the gorgeous fish found in the area!  Thank You!

I'm with BJ on his selections.

My additional guesses:

7 - A darker/stream-based Rainbow/Golden Hybrid or even possibly a Kern River Rainbow/Golden ( based on the profusion of black spots as well as Parr Marks, yet with the white tipped fins not normally found on Rainbows)

8 - the unique and 'relatively new' TIGER Trout - a Brown/Eastern Brook Hybrid primarily bred in hatcheries over the past 30+ years.  They are sterile, and are the combination of of male brook trout milt with female brown trout eggs. 

PS - I keep searching for the story about a Piano being hauled in to the LC Cabin.  I know I saw it somewhere in the past - maybe it was in an old article in a document somewhere up in the actual Big Pine Area, like at the Glacier Lodge or Pack Station or other place of business, or in some other old marketing brochure for the area.  I am now on a mission to find it.  I recall a hand drawn picture supporting the story with an image of LC  appearing as if dressed in one of his costume roles and with a 'monstrous facial expression', standing up, playing the Piano with an audience of 2 or 3. 

Thank you again for sharing your journeys and experiences with us. :clap:

All the Best!  P A C

Very impressive P A C!  #7 is a Rainbow/Golden Hybrid.  There are so many variations of this hybrid, just depends what % is Rainbow and Golden.

#8 is indeed the Tiger Trout!  Rare in the backcountry.  This was caught in Black Lake, full of Browns and Brookies.  This Tiger Trout was a very aggressive fighter.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2018, 10:12:37 PM »
Was it Tiger trout they were playing with at the little reservoir near Kirman Lake out of Bridgeport? It was dry the last time I was there.

Have not heard of that one bj.  Kirman Lake is one of the best trophy trout fisheries in California.  Football sized Brookies when I fished it last in 2016.  Nice Cutthroats too.  But being as Tiger Trout are sterile, that could make it interesting! 

There was talk of Kirman Lake being managed as a fishery for triploid rainbows gleamed from another Board, but looking at CDFW latest fish plants still shows Kirman as Brookies and Cutthroats, so don’t know for sure what’s happening there.

But Fish Springs Hatchery was experimenting with cross breeding these two species some years back to breed the Tiger Trout.  But to my knowledge they never were stocked locally.  They are raised in other states, with Utah and Colorado coming to mind.

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »
What an excellent post! Really enjoyed reading and re-reading the entire post! I have never been to that part of the Sierras!  Thanks so much for sharing. And did I mention what an excellent post it was?

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:22 PM »
Great post thank you!
That juve cutt threw me!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2018, 06:01:45 AM »
What an excellent post! Really enjoyed reading and re-reading the entire post! I have never been to that part of the Sierras!  Thanks so much for sharing. And did I mention what an excellent post it was?

Thanks 12440!  Enjoy sharing and reliving one of my favorite backpacking trips.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2018, 06:02:18 AM »
Great post thank you!
That juve cutt threw me!

Yeah, I thought that Cutt would have thrown everybody, but we have some savvy fisher folks on this forum.  There were two lakes up there with Cutts in them that I saw.  Just a nice mix of different trout in most lakes, never really knew what I had on the line until I brought then in, which made it more fun and interesting. :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2018, 06:03:55 AM »
The Palisades

One last photo of me looking back at “The Palisades” on my hike out to my truck.  Thanks to all for those who took time to leave a positive comment for this trip report.

The Palisades – One Last Look

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2018, 03:17:22 AM »
Thank you so much for the incredible pictures of my favorite places on earth! :clap:

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »
Thanks for your great work Wshawkins.  The NFBPC is a beautiful pristine area but unfortunately there are many campers who still build fires up there.  Last year my crew disassembled many fire sites and cleared the trail as far as we could.

No fire means no fire. Read the sign at the near the junction to Black Lake Trail.

Note to all:
If you absolutely need to have the comforts of a campfire at night stay down at Sage Flats and day hike the lakes.  lf