Author Topic: Miracle  (Read 564 times)

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Miracle
« on: March 22, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »
I am a relative Newbie to the ES. Only making trips up there for past 9 years. I have often heard the term "March Miracle"........are we witnessing one? I saw a ton of pics of Mammoth over Christmas and there was zero snow except for on the runs. I also read that the snow-pack was less than 5%.........Things changed since the Calendar went to March that's for sure and it looks like a dump-fest has been happening ever since!

Hope you all are surviving the winter blues........ :cold:
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Miracle
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »
It’s been an impressive month so far, more than doubling the Sierra snow-pack.  I think were still below average precipitation levels but it sure took a chunk out of that stat!  As of now, eleven feet of snow has fallen so far on Mammoth Mountain in March and still coming down. 

I recall The “March Miracle” comes from 1991 when that winter was  similar (If not worst) to this year, then upwards of 20 feet of snow fell in March alone, saving the state of California going into a severe drought.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."