Author Topic: Fishing Tips for Bridgeport Area  (Read 7448 times)

Scott

Fishing Tips for Bridgeport Area
« on: June 09, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Iím planning a fishing trip later this month up in the Bridgeport area off the 108.  Iíll be staying at Leavitt Campground and be attempting to fish Poore Lake and Secret Lake one day, Roosevelt and Lane Lakes next day, Kirman Lake another day and like to also try Leavitt and Ski Lakes.  Never fished these lakes and appreciate whatever advice you can offer.  I fish fly/bubble combo mostly and throw lures as needed.

Questions:  I have a stocked 4-wheel drive Toyota truck; can I get to Leavitt Lake OK?  Is the fishing any good at Leavitt?  How is Ski Lake fishing?

Fishing at Poore & Secret lakes any good?  And Roosevelt & Lane, any good?  Never read any fish reports from any of these lakes.  I heard of Kirman Lake.  I plan to stop first at Kenís and hopefully get some advice, but will sincerely appreciate anything from this board.  Can send me pm if sensitive info.

Thanks everyone.

Sierra Girl

Re: Fishing Tips for Bridgeport Area
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
I fished Kirman Lake and the East Walker River, but not any of the other lakes you mentioned.  A stop at Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport is a good start as you mentioned.  Hopefully some of the  Board members can help you out. :fishing3:

Sierraslam

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:18 AM »
Board member Chris W. can be a big help to you. His pictures of his exploits to those areas will make you drool. I'd PM Chris and hope he's around for a response. Might be best to keep that info. private. Lurkers in all..  BJ has also done some pack trips out of Leavitt Meadows, I'm sure he can help you out too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:29:23 AM by Sierraslam »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »
Only recent fishing Iíve done in that area is Leavitt & Ski Lakes, Kirman Lake and the West Walker River, all last year.  About 5 years ago or so I fished the other lakes you mentioned. 

As was said, go to Kenís in Bridgeport and they will set you up for Kirman.  Fishes best from a float tube, but can fish from shore.  DFG special regs lake.

The Leavitt Lake trailhead is accessible with a high clearance vehicle and 4-wheel drive. Itís about 3 miles to Leavitt Lake over very rough terrain and a couple of stream crossings.  Usually itís not open until early July, but this year itís probably already open.  Call the Bridgeport or Summit Ranger Stations to make sure.  You can park on the north side of the lake or cross the outlet creek to your left to get to the east side of the lake.  Wind will come up on schedule every day at about 3 pm and can be brisk.  Set up with your back to the wind and youíll cast like a pro quarterback.  Leavitt Lake gets hit hard in the summer and fishes like a typical drive-to lake.  Whatís disappointing about this lake is the trash that left behind, worm boxes, candy wrappers, beer cans, etc.  Brooks and Rainbows caught here.

Ski Lake is a nice little high elevation sierra lake.  Just a short 30 minute hike from Leavitt Lake.  Flyís work good here.  Golden trout lake.

Donít forget to check out the west Fork of the Walker River in Leavitt Meadows.  Start at the Leavitt Meadow Trailhead and proceed down to the West Walker River.   West Walker River produces a large number of brook, brown and rainbow trout.  Fish size ranges were from 6 to 14Ē on my last trip here.
Fishing an Elk Hair caddis I managed to hook a dozen fish over the 2 hours of fishing in the morning.  After lunch I fished a hopper and caught my biggest of the day, 14 inch brook.
Late afternoon I was nymphing with bead head nymphs that was producing great numbers of wild and stocked trout and fishing with dries and dry/dropper combos also did well.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
Thanks for the advise!  Questions:  Why would I need to call the Ranger Station if the road is open?  What works at Leavitt Lake and Ski Lake?  What are the ave size fish caught?  Thanks.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
Well actually, the road is always open.  They do not plow this road; they just let the snow melt naturally.  So call and see what condition the road is in and if the creeks are safe to cross. 

For Leavitt Lake, first get away from the north end of the lake where the bait crowd fish.  Hike around to you see a sharp drop-off.  There are many good fishing holes on this lake.  You can sight-cast to the brookies, and cast out just beyond the drop-off for the Bows.  Streamers (Woolly Bugger), Nymph's (Hair's Ear, Pheasant Tail, Copper John's), Dryís (Caddis, Ants) all work at Leavitt Lake.  Light Lures are productive too.  Fish average 10Ē.

Ski Lake, Dry Flyís did well (Black or Red Ants, Black Gnat or Mosquito).    Small lures work too.  Fish Average 8Ē.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

High Sierra

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
I fished Leavitt Lake, last time being in Fall of 2010.  The creek crossing were almost dried up by then.  Woolly Buggers (Olive or Black) in size 6-8 did OK for me.  I agree with Hawk, hike away from the crowd to fish.  The fishing is better on the other side anyway.  Wish I knew about Ski Lake Golden s! :puzzled:

Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 08:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the advise on these lakes.  Any special fly works at Kirman Lake?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
Kirman has both brookies and cutthroat, and has special regulations (Artificial flies or lures only, barbless hooks, 2 fish limit, 16 inch minimum).  It's not uncommon to catch brookies in the 2 to 4 pound range and cutts in the 20 to 24 inch range in this incredible trophy trout lake.

Because this is a trophy trout lake and would like to keep it as such, no fishing secrets given over this open forum.  Sorry.

Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
OK, I understand.  If anybody would like to pm me on what works at Kirman, would really appreciate it. 

Same goes for Poore/Secret and Roosevelt/Lane Lakes.  What fly works best and what type of fish is there and ave. sizes of fish caught.  Don't care if your information is old.  Thanks all!