Author Topic: Ice and Road  (Read 482 times)

BigAL2919

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Ice and Road
« on: April 23, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
Hello,

Im looking to see if anybody knows if the lake has ice?  If yes how much or how little?  Also, im seeing that the road has been plowed to the pack station.  That on the West side of the lake if im correct.  Does anybody know if Rock Creek Lake Campground Road is open or will be open?  That road leads to the inlet if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks!

Alan

hikerdude9988

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Ice and Road
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:12:30 PM »
We were up there this past weekend fishing the Owens River. We decided to make a quick drive up to see Rock Creek Lake and it is still covered in ice. If you are looking to go for the opener, I would go elsewhere. Unless you wanna just fish at the outlet where the water is thawed.

The road going to Rock Creek Lake Campground is still closed and there is a couple patches of snow on the road. Shouldn't take long to open that road though. Rock Creek Rd. is open all the way to the pack station so you could park there and hike up to LLV. Although it is safe to safe that most of the lakes up there are frozen as well.

Rock Creek at East Fork Campground is clear so you could fish there. I don't think the campsite will be open by this weekend though.

Here is the list of campgrounds in the Inyo NF that will tell you if it is open or not (https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/inyo/recreation) and the projected opening. I would call the ranger station though for the most up to date status.