Author Topic: What's in my pack? Backcountry fishing kit.  (Read 1432 times)

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
What's in my pack? Backcountry fishing kit.
« on: May 13, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »
I originally saw this topic on highserratopix and as I am getting my gear ready for some trips this summer and thought this might be fun while waiting to actually go. What am I missing? Any comments are welcome. Would love to see others kits as well.
thanks!

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What's in my pack? Backcountry fishing kit.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 02:55:29 AM »
Looks to like a well rounded kit. All I carry these days in the backcountry is my fly gear. The only thing that I don't see but is a must for me even with my fly rod a bag split shot.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »
That is a nice trout kit.  I’m mostly a fly guy but do carry some lures if I’m heading to some special lakes I visit in the back-country.  But if you’re serious about catch and release in the back-country, get rid of the Treble Hooks.  Replace them with singles.

Might also want to carry some:

•   Extra Leader material
•   Extra spool with line (if you get a birds nest in the back-country, you’re done without a back-up!)
•   Clippers
•   Fishing Line Floatant
•   Split-Shot
•   Swiss Army Knife
•   Ketchum Release Tool (Catch & Release)
•   Pole Case (protect the pole while hiking)
•   Fishing License
•   Don’t forget your 10 Essentials when you’re in the back-country!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »
Great set up!

In addition to the above excellent suggestions from WSH,  with an emphasis on the 10 essentials, you would likely benefit from adding some proven great old standbys such as :

Lures -
A couple of small Super Dupers, particularly ones with the ‘reflection’ tape
A couple of small SILVER Kastmasters & Thomas Bouyants
small swivels - although WSH has previously shared an alternative that he might suggest again in this post he is if able.

Flies –
Mosquitoes (don’t recognize any in your assorted gray hackled flies as such)
Basic Black Ants (non-parachute)
Royal Wulffs (better floatation/attractor than a standard Royal Coachman)
Grey Hackle Yellow Body
Grey Hackle Peacock Body
A Bee pattern – McGinty or a Western Bee

All have been consistent High Sierra  ‘go to’s ‘ with great success for me over the years (decades), in addition to those that you already have in your assortment.

All the best,  P A C

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 02:49:46 PM »
My two cents:
I would add red and orange mini jigs and orange /green and brook trout pattern kastmasters.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »
Hey all! Good looking kit and i hope you have some luck up there fishing. I myself had a question as to what type (meaning sink rate) sinking line you all prefer, I just picked up my first reel dedicated more to sinking line presentations so i was curious as to what is preferred for the eastern sierra lakes and depending on depth. Thanks in advance for any replies as ill be taking a trip here in about two weeks.

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 02:40:21 AM »
My sinking line has been on my spare spool so long that I don't even remember what rate it has.  ???  When hiking in the backcountry I carry a 7-10ft sinking leader to help get some depth in the lakes.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 05:10:00 AM »
Sink rates are generally determined by the body of water you are fishing. An intermediate sink rate would give you the slowest sink rate and would be appropriate for slow moving, less deep water. A type 3 sink tip would be appropriate for a little faster sink rate (3-4 inches per second) and if the water is moving faster. For throwing streamers in a lake you may want to go with a type 6 sink rate which will sink at a faster rate.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 06:47:31 AM »
Sinking lines are used to sink your flies down to where the fish are.  I mostly prefer to use full sink lines when in tandem with a streamer and dropper nymph.

My little trick if you want your fly down faster, use split shots on the leader helps greatly.  An alternative I prefer is using a tungsten conehead and let it slide loose on the leader.  The conehead also provides extra flash as well.  Just make sure you check your tippet often because a conehead has a tendency to wear the tippet.

If you do decide to use a sinking line, you need to choose a line that best matches the type of water you are planning to fish on.  Good luck!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
Thanks for all the tips! Ill probably go with a clear intermediate for fishing the lakes around the loop. Will also be heading down to sotcher with the float tube to try fly fishing it for the first time. Anyone fish down there often? One of my favorite places in the ES.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 04:11:48 PM »
Thanks for all the tips! Ill probably go with a clear intermediate for fishing the lakes around the loop. Will also be heading down to sotcher with the float tube to try fly fishing it for the first time. Anyone fish down there often? One of my favorite places in the ES.

I fish Sotcher Lake quite a bit when I’m in Mammoth.  Usually head down after 5pm for a couple of hours after the Park Rangers leave the gate.  Always done good there catching planters. For your info, the road down to Sotcher Lake is closed and not expected to be open until mid-June.  Check the website for updates.
https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »

I fish Sotcher Lake quite a bit when I’m in Mammoth.  Usually head down after 5pm for a couple of hours after the Park Rangers leave the gate.  Always done good there catching planters. For your info, the road down to Sotcher Lake is closed and not expected to be open until mid-June.  Check the website for updates.
https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Thanks for the link WS! I've been checking the reds meadow website which says they plan on opening in late May /early June, hopefully the road will be open by the time I get up there! I've heard about big browns in t he lake, but have only caught some good rainbows in there, have you ever pulled a brown out of sochter? Tight Lines!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 06:41:13 AM »
Yes, quite a few over the years but usually after Labor Day.  If you want to look what’s possible out of Sotcher Lake, head over to Reds Meadow Resort and check out the large Browns on the wall in the Store/Café.

Sotcher Lake is spring fed and has a nice 1 ½ mile hike around the lake.  On this lake hike you cross several spring fed creeks, one is if you follow the creek a bit you come to what’s known locally as the “Water Cave”.  One of many cool finds in this area of the Eastern Sierra!

Water Cave

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »
It all looks very good! I love everything about it. I would not add anything as you are trying to go with the bear minimum

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 10:01:06 AM »
Back to the original topic, here is my main bulk of equipment for trout fishing the ES, In the pictures below you will see the conventional spinning setup I have as well as my fly setup. I have been assembling my fly fishing setup for the last three years and trying to learn as much as I can. I definitely need more flies and any help on what to add would be appreciated. Pictured is a three weight with floating line, a four weight with full sink line for the lakes, and a 5 weight with floating line as well.
 I must say i am a pretty confident spin fisher for trout and left my favorite two baits in the middle to be seen. The copper/red buoyant and a red/chartreuse mice tail fished on a single hook like a jerk or swim-bait. Both have produced 15+ rainbows in an hour or two fishing plenty of times.
 That being said, my goal this year is to catch fish on the fly, and especially a brown, but ill be fishing for those on conventional tackle as well. I did not include my terminal tackle as I thought it might be a waste of space, but rest assured I have all the essentials and the spinning rods I fish are all ugly stik Gx-2 . Thanks Everybody for posting on the forums and tight lines! Headed to SLR in a week!!!
           PS: If you want to know specifics models of the gear I use or have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 03:23:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded!
I had planned on changing all my trebles to siwash hooks I just hadn't had a chance at that time. I changed everything out a couple days ago.  We took a little family trip up to Yosemite and I tried the Merced down in the valley for 10 minutes with several followers on the panther martins but no takers.  The action looks a little different with the single siwash hooks, has anyone else noticed that? May just be me though.  Would it be better to add a split ring?  The Thomas spoons all come with split rings but panther martins donr so not sure if it would help or hinder more.  Thanks!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 06:17:23 AM »
I recommend not to add split rings to Panther Martins as it will give it an unnatural spinning action.   I changed out my 1/16oz Panther Martins treble hooks for single hooks some years back.  I replaced the trebles with Gamakatsu single hooks (LS-3423F) which is a vertical ring-eye which I have had great success for hook-setting trout.  For example, for the 1/16oz lure, I use size 2 hook.  It’s important to have the right type of hook and correct size for the type of lure you’re fishing with.  I have not noticed any difference in hookups compared to trebles since I made the switch.  Best of luck!