Author Topic: Kokanee in RCL?  (Read 10986 times)

funnysloper

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Kokanee in RCL?
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:49:40 AM »
Hey all last season I caught a bunch of silvery
trout like fish in the like but they appeared to
Be juvenile Kokanee. I caught another one last night.
so I was reminded to post and see if anyone can
fill me in.

Tight lines

Sierraslam

Re: Kokanee in RCL?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:32:33 AM »
try to get a picture up. Lot's fish knowledge on the board. Welcome to the classiest message board on the net!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:34:28 AM by Sierraslam »

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »
How would a Kokanee get into RCL?

Some misguided fisherman self-planting? Very dangerous.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »
Salmon in the Sierra??
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:23:50 PM »
Maybe Alpers? The pink meat inside would be strange to some for a trout.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
I was fishing with a family friend at Saddlebag lake years ago, and he caught a fish that looked like a rainbow, but it had completely pink meat inside.  Not sure what that was, but it was tasty.

Sierraslam

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 06:27:01 AM »
I've caught Cutthroats out of Steelhead Lake in the 20 Lakes Basin. Maybe that's what it was.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:32:57 AM »
Sounds more like a Kamloop, very silvery, sleek streamlined body with fantastically tasty, almost watermelon colored flesh inside.  Grant Lake has them and that's where we've picked a few up.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »
A large percentage of the trout we catch has pink meat. I think that it as much a factor of what the fish eats as it is of the species.

I just ate some trout that was nearly as pink a natural salmon (not the dyed farm raised variety).

Still skeptical about the Kokanee. Not impossible, just less probable.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
A large percentage of the trout we catch has pink meat. I think that it as much a factor of what the fish eats as it is of the species.

I just ate some trout that was nearly as pink a natural salmon (not the dyed farm raised variety).

Still skeptical about the Kokanee. Not impossible, just less probable.

OldSarge

Really?  I've eaten a decent amount of trout while in the Sierras and I've only ever seen one that had what I consider to be "salmon pink" meat inside. 

Then again, most of the trout I've eaten in the Sierras were stocker rainbows. 

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
Old Sarge, my wife just caught a Kamloop when we were at Grant in May that had flesh the color of the curtain in your avatar.  Seriously deep color.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »
I can't count the number of fish I have caught in the last 50 plus years in the Sierras that had pink meat... All the fish I caught in Crowley on opening weekend were pink meated fish....I have caught countless fish in the Upper and Lower Owens River over the years that were pink meated fish..  I always assume that if the meat is pink or orange colored its a natural or wild fish,, not ones that has been raised on hatchery pellets...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »
Kokanee would be interesting in the lake.
They fight nice and are better eating than brookies.
Either fish stresses the rainbows anyway.

Brewskier,
TT caught a nice rainbow about three weeks ago at east fork.
Nice pink colored meat and he said it was tasty.

funnysloper

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »
Hey all as the knucklehead that started this thread I just wanted to clarify a couple of things.
first I have probably caught about a dozen of them beginning
last season. If they are Kokanees ( which as you can guess I  am like 99.9% sure of ) then they
would have to be recent immigrants because they reach spawning age at 3 to 4 years and as we
all know if the creek and inlet were swarming with bright red bodied green headed critters
We would all know about them by now. I have. never kept any to check the color of their flesh.
What I can tell you is exactly what they look like. All have been 6 to 8 in length
slender silvery bodies, light olive backs, no spots of any kind except a few sal
mon like black flecks on the shoulders. And perhaps the most non-trout like feature of all
a very forked yet rounded tail. If I had taken the time to count the number of rays on the anal
fin I would have my answer but I imagine for that kind of inspection I would have had to at least bought the little bugger dinner first.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 09:08:34 PM »
Hmmm...never seen one in my 35+ years of fishing Rock Creek?  If they are there, they might be new as I have not heard any talk about them either from the locals. 
The creek is waiting...

funnysloper

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »
Same here RocknCreek Girl. Been fishing RC and the lake for 40 plus years and only started catching them last season. That is why I am thinking they are recent arrivals. Maybe jim king will
Weigh in with his thoughts.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »
I've been catching more and more pink meat fish in the past years. They look nothing like the stockers at all, So I assume they are all wild. Witch would make sense because most of these were not caught in areas that would be easy for a Stocked fish to get to. I have also been told by a Fish and Game guy that a stocked trout, if left in the wild long enough will start to turn pink, and I've caught some with very light pink meat and some that look just like Salmon meat. He said the more bugs they've eaten since the hatchery food, the more pink the meat. But 99% of the time one with pink meat is a natural.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 01:12:07 AM »
If we indeed do have Kokanee in RCL, OK. Let's catch 'em.

They only have a 3-4 year lifespan, and they don't get any bigger than our beloved browns, so I don't think they will be serious competition for the bows, browns & brooks that we already have. Might even provide good forage for large trout.

If you catch one big enough to eat, don't feel bad about not releasing it. It is life-span limited anyway.

Now, if we can just gene-splice some of that natural "term-limits" into our politicians, we'll be set. :lol2:

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 06:05:04 AM »
I've been catching more and more pink meat fish in the past years. They look nothing like the stockers at all, So I assume they are all wild. Witch would make sense because most of these were not caught in areas that would be easy for a Stocked fish to get to. I have also been told by a Fish and Game guy that a stocked trout, if left in the wild long enough will start to turn pink, and I've caught some with very light pink meat and some that look just like Salmon meat. He said the more bugs they've eaten since the hatchery food, the more pink the meat. But 99% of the time one with pink meat is a natural.

I used to keep about 6 fish per trip and eat them, but I haven't kept a fish in the past 7 years or so unless they are so badly injured upon release that they won't make it.  I think I know what you mean about those "wild" rainbows.  They look like they have more spots on the sides of their bodies than the stockers, and they are much more active when they are on the end of the line.  The ones that jump out of the water 10 times before you get them to shore.  I never kept these, though, so I don't know what they look like inside.

Bestfrets

• Junior Creeker
  • Saugus,CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 06:11:37 AM »
Bass lake has Kokanee.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 07:02:56 AM »
"Like the kokanee salmon, the species to which the Kamloops rainbow trout belongs is native to California. However, this subspecies was introduced into California as a new form."

Well, with little going on at work, I find myself on the web researching this thread.  Just found this, which makes me think that they well could be Kokanee or the Kamloop.  Both have been introduced into our lakes.  As you mentioned, funnysloper, if they were spawning they'd be brightly colored and we would have noticed them long ago.

Interesting thread.  Maybe someone has some more information.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
a few years ago on Georgetown lake in MT, we tube fished for trout for a week.
every three hours of so we would have to come to shore and empty the float tube pockets as they were filled
with Kokanees and it was ILLIGAL to throw them back once on the line.
We did keep those that were 10-12" and it was good pink salmon meat.

The trout in that lake were rather large.

People in the group landed over a dozen mainly rainbows 20-24" with 26" being the largest.
I was begining to fly fish then so I caught Kokanees all day long but it was fun.

So I wonder if we have that fish, will fish and game force us to land keep them

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
I don't think that Cal DFG rgards Kokanee as "trash" fish, or as an invasive species.
They are planted in areas on the western side.

They are supposed to be very tasty. Never caught one, myself, but I'm definately willing.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »
lake tahoe is full of kokanee... and we have caught scads of them.  in fact, one of the lake records just happens to be hanging on our wall:)   

at tahoe, they swim upstream in taylor creek to spawn,,,    the new crop ventures down to the lake.. and the cycle continues...

they are YUMMY!!!!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
Same here RocknCreek Girl. Been fishing RC and the lake for 40 plus years and only started catching them last season. That is why I am thinking they are recent arrivals. Maybe jim king will
Weigh in with his thoughts.
I sent Jim an email, and he said NO, there are no Kokanee in RCL...Twin Lakes Bridgeport, yes, but not RCL.  I am really curious now, Funnysloper...you should catch one and keep it the next time, and take it into the resort and show it to Jim.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock