Author Topic: French Camp area report 5/31-6/3  (Read 704 times)

Fisha

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=6dbc6fa29ead73562fbe7db531851a7b&action=register
French Camp area report 5/31-6/3
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:09:04 AM »
So just got back from my trip to French camp.

First full day we fished Convict Lake by the inlet. Caught 1 rainbow on a float and mini-jig, and had a few other strikes. Pretty slow, but a nice hike around the lake. Looked like a pretty slow day, and only saw a few people with a couple fish. After lunch we tried Rock Creek down at Tuff Camp. Found some pockets of slower moving water and caught a few rainbows. I was using a flylined fly, and my buddy was drifting a single salmon egg.

Second day we hiked up the Little Lakes Valley trail. Skipped  Mack Lake, so the first stop was Marsh Lake. I fished a mini-jig and bubble while my buddy fished a spinner. He got skunked and I got 2 rainbows. Saw 2 huge fish roaming around, but they didn't want what we were throwing. Next stop was Heart Lake. Used the same set-up and fished in between the first two smaller inlets first for nothing. Moved over to the major inlet and caught 1 rainbow. Ate lunch and headed on. We skipped Box Lake and headed up to Long Lake. Get to the outlet and there is a small amount of thin ice pieces floating around. Walk a little ways down the left shore and find a place to fish off the rocks. This was the most consistent fishing. I fished the same setup, and my buddy switched to what I was using. Caught quite a few brook trout.

All fish released.

The first evening after we got there we tried to find a spot on Rock Creek by our campsite at French Camp, but the water was moving pretty quick, so didn't catch anything. Tried  the little spot towards the top of camp where the concrete is, but no luck. My buddy's dad did find a spot with a big rock that he pulled a rainbow out of while we were on the hike.

Overall great trip and good weather. A little cold out night, but was very nice during the day.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: French Camp area report 5/31-6/3
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 01:08:21 PM »
yay!    sounds like a great trip!

lucky you:) :tent: :camping:
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: French Camp area report 5/31-6/3
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »
For your first trip up to the Eastern Sierra, you did pretty well!  Fishing the inlet at Convict Lake is one of my favorite places to fish for spring fishing.  Thanks for sharing! :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."