Author Topic: Cerro Gordo is for sale!  (Read 1218 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Cerro Gordo is for sale!
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
Cerro Gordo is for sale

You may have seen this on the news; the Ghost Town of Cerro Gordo is for sale.  Located high in the Inyo Mountains, Cerro Gordo came into existence after the discovery of silver in 1865.  In the 1860s and ’70s, the town saw a murder per week with over 2,000 inhabitants living in this thriving mining town.  So much silver was being taken out of the mountain that there were two steamboats on Owens Lake transporting the ingots from Swansea to Cartago for transport to the port in LA.

Maybe some of you remember the property’s late owner, Michael Patterson or his late wife Jody.  They ran a B&B at the Hotel up to the 1990’s.  The town itself is very well preserved and a fascinating place to visit.  If you do decide to visit I recommend 4-wheel drive and let the caretaker know you’re coming up or soon after you arrive.  The property is already in escrow.  That went fast!  So much for my dreams of owning a ghost town!  I hope the new owners preserve the town.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
(SOLD on Fri the 13th) Re: Cerro Gordo is for sale!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Interesting articile, interesting group of investors............

Historic California ghost town sells for $1.4 million on Friday the 13th 

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Cerro-Gordo-California-ghost-town-real-estate-13079866.php