Author Topic: Cerro Gordo is for sale!  (Read 2874 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Cerro Gordo is for sale!
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
Cerro Gordo is for sale

You may have seen this on the news; the Ghost Town of Cerro Gordo is for sale.  Located high in the Inyo Mountains, Cerro Gordo came into existence after the discovery of silver in 1865.  In the 1860s and í70s, the town saw a murder per week with over 2,000 inhabitants living in this thriving mining town.  So much silver was being taken out of the mountain that there were two steamboats on Owens Lake transporting the ingots from Swansea to Cartago for transport to the port in LA.

Maybe some of you remember the propertyís late owner, Michael Patterson or his late wife Jody.  They ran a B&B at the Hotel up to the 1990ís.  The town itself is very well preserved and a fascinating place to visit.  If you do decide to visit I recommend 4-wheel drive and let the caretaker know youíre coming up or soon after you arrive.  The property is already in escrow.  That went fast!  So much for my dreams of owning a ghost town!  I hope the new owners preserve the town.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
(SOLD on Fri the 13th) Re: Cerro Gordo is for sale!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Interesting articile, interesting group of investors............

Historic California ghost town sells for $1.4 million on Friday the 13th 

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Cerro-Gordo-California-ghost-town-real-estate-13079866.php   

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Cerro Gordo is for sale!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
Related Info not only for Cerro Gordo but other interesting CA Historical tid-bits.  Make sure to skip through the ads to get all of the story.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Road-trips-California-ghost-towns-abandoned-13145465.php#photo-15710979 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:19:04 PM by P A C »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »
Image 18 of 39, a cemetery with a stone monument made by an internee at Manzanar.  Just visited here.  Noticed the thundershowers activity that chased me down the hill.  Crazy weather this summer in the Eastern Sierra!

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:31:40 AM »
We stopped there last Saturday. Didn't drive back to the monument but took my visiting daughter and family into the museum.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »
Also, while visiting Manzanar, went to see the ponds and reservoirs used for water storage.  They are not on any tour guide furnished by the Parks system.  Its in back of the interment camp about 5-6 miles on a dirt road (High clearance vehicles only).  This reservoir held up to 900,000 gal of water for daily use for Manzanar internment camp.

Reservoir

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 04:23:10 PM »
WSHawkins,

Incredible photo and info, as always.  Thank you.

Is it documented what/where the water source was to fill this?  From Onion Valley/Independece creek (area), or the Lower Owens from Crowley, or other?

All the Best, P A C

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 06:55:36 AM »
Water source was from Shepherd Creek, north of the site which flows year-round.  From the reservoir water was piped down to Manzanar.  Water was carried through an open cement-lined flume from the settling basin to the storage reservoir. Water passed through a chlorinator on the way to the reservoir.

Open cement-lined flume to reservoir

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 06:47:57 AM »
Many men who worked on the reservoir and any concrete work in Manzanar left graffiti (include militaristic slogans, poems, individual and group names, present and former addresses, whimsical sayings, and expressions of love) made in wet concrete.  I saw this on an old Huell Howser (California Gold) show and always wanted to see this and where they were located.  There were hundreds in Manzanar!

Graffiti

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 06:07:14 AM »
There are many gardens at Manzanar National Historic Site.  Some are along the driving tour route and are easy to spot, others are buried beneath layers of sand and debris.  Some are simple rock formations, and others are elaborately designed landscapes, with ponds, bridges, streams, and fences.
Itís estimated that there were more than 100 gardens inside the fences and underneath the guard towers at Manzanar. The men and women who built the gardens did it to improve living conditions and add beauty and hope to the desolate prison landscape.

One of many gardens in Manzanar, this one called Pleasure Park.  Must have been beautiful with water flowing into it and more flowers and plants as most Japanize gardens are.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 04:55:53 AM »
  When I lived in Lone Pine, I would drive up to Manzanar often, as Shepherd Creek was a  great fishing spot and very lonely. It had its own feel to it that seemed to go beyond the history.  After awhile,  an Inyo County Deputy Sheriff  befriended me, and we began fishing and hiking together. To say this fellow was conservative was an understatement.  A good chance he had some of the blood from those settlers  that the Alabama Hills were named for, as he was a multi-generational native to the Owens Valley.  We never discussed politics, religion, or any other topics besides local news and the outdoors; especially anything  kind of squishy and touchy-feely. 
     One fine morning we headed up to Manzanar to fish, driving up the deep rutted desert roads  to  get closer to the foot of the mountains.  My stoic, tough friend fell even more silent and seemed a bit nervous as we drove up on to a flat area with a look back over the relics of the  "re-location camp".  He looked over at me with a sheepish  look and said "please don't tell anyone I told you this".  I  agreed and he proceeded to tell me he had been visiting this spot since he was a teenager.  He had initially came out of curiosity, but eventually things started to happen during his visits.  With a quiver in his voice he told me that he had begun to sense and even sometimes see  spirits in this place. He said they seemed troubled, but somehow conveyed a peaceful feeling to him.  I was floored by this admission, but not surprised.  I'm glad this area is now consecrated as a museum. May the souls residing there have their stories  told and  remembered.

Thanks for the Cerro Gordo link, WS. I hope it becomes another well preserved part of the  valley's history.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:04:56 AM by charlie »