Author Topic: Sleeping Bag  (Read 491 times)

Mr. Magoo

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Sleeping Bag
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:54:33 AM »
I haven't been camping in 4 years
Hoping to go camping at Rock Creek in September.
Been taking care of my Dad.
He now in a Senior Living home.
I need to get a new sleeping bag.
Does anyone have suggestion what sleeping bag?
 :tent:

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping Bag
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 12:18:27 PM »
Western Mountaineering. Hands down the best. Expensive but it's an investment. I've had mine 6yrs.... My last bag to buy,  Also have a Enlightend Equipment quilt also 20* great value too
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:15:12 AM »
I just bought a Western Mountaineering down mummy bag this year for backpacking and have to admit it's awesome. I would think that it's too much money for someone just getting back into camping after 4yrs though. When I wanted new bags for the wife and I to use car camping a few years ago I went old school and have been very glad that I did. I went to either Sports Chalet or Big 5 and bought a couple of big heavy brown canvas bags with red flannel lining. They are big and wide and weigh something like 12lbs. They are thick and warm and the flannel is Sooo Comfy!! It's heaven on a chilly night.  I don't even know the Mfg but they are a cheap generic brand and I wish that I would have went with something  like Coleman or a little better quality.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »
I car camp so weight of the bag does not matter My favorite are Coleman canvas bags with Flannel lining ,Big Five . My winter bag is a grizzly and it is amazing but to hot in the summer .
The Creek is Waiting...

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:45:15 AM »
IMHO,

TEX is 100 % correct in his assessment, along with Gary's observation.

I've been looking into a moderate priced bag for the purposes of E.S. higher altitude car camping in the fall.

Here are some links to suggestions for what Gary and Corey are referring to.  As Gary states, quality and craftmanship are important to not only long term durability, but also actual performance of the bag when you are using it and need it - a $20 to $30 dollar savings may not result in a consistent, comfortable night's rest when you need it most.  Spread those few dollars over the course of a couple of weekend trips and it is very modest for a better product.

NOTE: Not all of the Coleman products use brushed COTTON Liners, instead they used brushed POLYESTER which can be less comfortable than cotton.

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/Coleman+Mountain-Ridge-6-lb.-Sleeping-Bag/0720101785014/_/A-3151271   

I have long been a fan of the premium Slumberjack and premium Bass Pro Shop canvas shell sleeping bags for colder weather car camping.  As BPS and Cabella have merged, their combined assortment has been trimmed to avoid duplication.  Here are a couple of currently available suggestions that I am eyeing:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-eclipse-hercules-10-oversized-rectangular-sleeping-bag-with-hood

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Rogue-Expedition-Bitterroot-0-Rectangular-Sleeping-Bag 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/slumberjack-big-timber-pro-0deg-sleeping-bag-16sjkabgtmbrpr0lncsl/16sjkabgtmbrpr0lncsl

Although a bag rated to 20 F should be adequate, a bag rated to 0 F will ensure more warmth and comfort at sub Freezing temps.  a MINUS -20 F bag will likely be waaaaay too uncomfortably warm/hot on most non-sub Freezing temp nights during most of the summer.

Hope this is helpful to your search.  Please let us know whatever it is that you end up getting. 

All the best, P A C

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:47:01 AM by P A C »

Still Mostly Spinning

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »
You don't want to buy gear based on one year's weather, but it was super warm at night this year.  I was a East Fork last 2 weeks of July.  Too hot to sleep in a moderate bag zipped up.
What really counts in my opinion, is what's under the sleeping bag.  Inflatable mattress, pad, box springs.  I had a harder time dialing this in than the bag.  You can always sleep in a set of sweat pants and shirt if you're cold.  If you take a leaky air mattress, you're probably stuck with it for the trip.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »
Agree with Corey, Coleman bags from Big 5 (watch for sales and print a coupon from their website) are the best for car camping. I have a few weight ones for different times of year. All are the oversized so lots of stretch out room.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Mr. Magoo

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 10:42:41 PM »
Thank you for your reply.
I plan on car camping [be more of a fair weather camper] :tent:
I am retire don't need to go camping in bad weather.
But sh-t happen.
Weight will not be a problem.
Not sure of what Temperature rating Sleeping Bag I should get.
Thinking of getting 20F Temperature rating or 10F Temperature rating Sleeping Bag
I am thinking about
Bass Pro Shops Eclipse Hercules 10 Oversized Rectangular Sleeping Bag with Hood - Hunter Green [thank you P A C]
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-eclipse-hercules-10-oversized-rectangular-sleeping-bag-with-hood
or
TETON Sports Fahrenheit Sleeping Bag 20F Temperature rating
https://www.amazon.com/Teton-Sports-Fahrenheit-Sleeping-Lightweight/dp/B00DDP3E7K?th=1&psc=1

Maybe next year I will go Backpacking.
Been to long time since I done that.

Is it true no pie? :pie:
My best friend will be coming with me.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:01:28 PM by Mr. Magoo »

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 02:53:46 AM »
If it were me I would go with something more along the 0 degree rating. Unfortunately most bags are way under rated warmth wise and I just like the big heavy keep you warm in the mountains type of bag. If it is too hot I'll open it up and peel it back until I find my comfort zone.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 05:19:32 AM »
I have two Slumberjack bags,, one is rated at minus 20 and the other 0 degrees....both are large bags and give me plenty of room as all my trips are tent camping only. They were not cheap sleeping bags and have lasted me for many years.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 06:10:42 AM »
Yes it's true No Pie  :pie: but the BBQ is great and so are the crumbles and cookies with ice cream  :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »
For what it's worth,

Teton is a brand that I have also admired in the past, along with a couple of 'related' brands from the same manufacturer. 

That TETON Sports Fahrenheit Sleeping Bag 20F Temperature rating that you've found looks mighty tempting for the price and listed performance. 

In comparison to the BPS model, the TETON offers both a 'collar' and zipper length Draft Baffle Tube which will help to keep cold air out.  The description is very clear about the temp rating, so as Gary C stated, you might want to see if this model is available in a 0 degree version - however watch out for a shift from Cotton to Polyester inner liner if that is important to you.

Based on the user reviews on AMAZON, if you are using a tent, with an air mattress, cot or other pad underneath, this 20 degree rating might be just fine for the average of Eastern Sierra night temps during the 3 seasons.  Simply add thermal underwear, socks, etc for the really colder nights.

Best of luck!  P A C

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
I can vouch for the Teton brand. I own a couple backpacks and bought my son the 0 degree bag and its super warm and small enough that he bright I backpacking.   If youre looking for something a little lighter that you could maybe bring backpacking in the future check out outdoor vitals. Theyre a new company that sells really good products for way less than the competitors. I got a 20 degree 800 fill down bag for $130 it has  worked great and is light as a feather (pun intended  :rotflmao: )