Author Topic: East Fork May 31-June 7  (Read 2009 times)

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
East Fork May 31-June 7
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
Camped at site #110 at East Fork May 31st through June 7th. This was a "guys trip" this time. Fishing was fairly good at East Fork. Also fished twice at Iris Meadows which was closed to camping due to the restroom renovation going on. The workers said it would probably be another week or two before they were completed and Iris Meadows would reopen. Fishing was great there. Had pie at the lodge on June 4th then stopped by the lake to take some pictures on our way to Mosquito Flats. Took a short hike up from there to take some more pictures. That evening the clouds rolled in and it rained off and on through the evening, but not a downpour. It was windy off and on as well. We stayed in the tent and played cards and listened to music. Forecast was for possible snow flurries that evening, but never saw any snow. It was about 28 degrees in the tent according to my watch, probably a few degrees cooler outside. Next day, although cold, it was beautiful again!

We had a great time, as usual. The canyon is a special place. I have been visiting here for 50 years. I used to visit with my parents when I was a kid in our "Holiday" camper. My wife and son and I have tent camped for years as well, so not only is Rock Creek a stunning place to be, but it holds so many specal memories for me. Now that I have retired, I'm able to make a few more trips than before.

Little Hardrock, it was nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by to say hi and for the extra firewood! Paul, hear you were at East Fork too, sorry I missed you.

Here are a few pictures:

The start of the John Muir Trail above Mosquito Flats:

Sunburst along Rock Creek :
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:45:26 PM by Claremont Dude »
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: East Fork May 31-June 7
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »
Just looking at the trail as it leads away is enough to make me dream.  Thanks for the report.  You had  fishing, pie, got to meet Carol and spent time with friends.  Does it get any better than that?
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »
There is something special about that photo of the trail... it is calling for all of us to head down it!

It was fun to meet you too!  (even if you did go to the wrong high school:)   

it was a great time to be at the creek!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
Never gets old looking at pictures of Little Lake Valley.  Thanks Claremont Dude!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:58:30 PM »
Thanks for the report and pics. Like the sunburst shot.

The trail is definitely calling!
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !