Author Topic: Why so few fish this year?  (Read 514 times)

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Why so few fish this year?
« on: September 24, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »
Although I have personally not been able to get up to the ES year to speak to this first hand, many posts on this Board from our many long time residents and frequent visitors have lamented that there just doesn't seem to be many/as many fish being planted by DF&W this year.  Some of you may already be aware of the following, however I just saw it for the first time a few moments ago.

I have not researched the DF&W site for the following reference, however am copy/pasting directely from another very reputable, long established ES Resort - Silver Lake Resort in the June Lake Loop.  If you would like more details surrounding their quote of the DF&W and how they are offsetting it, click on the URL. 

'Following is the official statement from Fish Springs hatchery (as of 9/7/18).

"Unfortunately, Fish Springs Hatchery, which supplies trout for many of the waters in Inyo and Mono Counties, experienced an influx of supersaturated gasses in the groundwater supply earlier this year.  This uncontrolled environmental situation caused an outbreak of Gas Bubble Disease (GBD), whereby excess gases become trapped in the fish’s bloodstream and tissues (similar to a diver experiencing the “bends”).  This disease proved fatal for many of the hatchery’s fish, and reduced the inventory to such that there will be no further fish plants coming from Fish Springs for the remainder of the calendar year.

The smaller trout, which were on hand during the period of super saturation, are showing some signs of GBD, but not to the extent of the larger fish.  It is our expectation that we will have enough fish on hand to grow up to “catchable” size to meet our goals for the upcoming 2019 season
." '

http://silverlakeresort.net/fishing-report/silver-lake-resort-fishing-report-9-17-9-24-2018-2/   

All the Best!  P A C

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Why so few fish this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 04:37:13 PM »
Not surprised by this news.  It was rumored something like this happened but no public statement from Fish Springs Hatchery or DF&W.  Strange we have to hear this from Silver Lake Resort, so kudos to them for getting this out.  But the word is this happened sometime in August.  Oh well!

I had a family reunion in June Lake Loop over Labor Day weekend and nobody was catching any trout at the drive-to lakes.  I took some of my nephews and nieces to some of my favorite back-country lakes and we killed it fishing each day!  What joy watching these youngsters catch wild trout, some for the very first time.  Had some jealous parents, that’s for sure. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
curious as to the amount of volcanic activity in this area...  and if therei is any connection
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
That statement from DFG was the first that anyone heard about this, except maybe some higher-ups in the department. I spent quite a while talking about this with a Fisheries Biologist I know on Tuesday, even he knew nothing about it, and he doesn't know why they kept it so quiet. It was a natural occurence, and a series of unusual circumstances that caused the shortage of fish, and the lack of stocking, but why wouldn't they tell us about it? Are they embarrased?
I owe Still Mostly Spinning a small apology, but I was merely relating what I knew at the time.
The good news is, things seem to have returned to normal at Fish Springs, and, barring any more unforeseen circumstances, things should be back to normal next year, with lots of fish to stock in the streams and lakes.

Still Mostly Spinning

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »
No apology necessary, I love a good debate/dialogue.  I had been fishing the lower part of East Fork, in the willows and taking it for granted for years. The thing is, my observation of the fish is that the last 2 years have been unusual.  I'm well aware that fishing isn't catching.  What I'm basing my remarks on is observing the fish holding in the deepest pools in the willows at first light.  Wader access is necessary.  I'm out of the rack at first grey and fishing as early as possible.  Normally, the stocked rainbows are holding stacked up.  They don't have the wild fish territorial thing going and are accustomed to sitting on top of each other.  They simply have not been there the last 2 years. I've fished the same spot for 15+ years in a row.  Anything is possible, my opinion is something has changed not just this year.