Author Topic: So I wanna catch a few browns this weekend.... where to?  (Read 6433 times)

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
So I wanna catch a few browns this weekend.... where to?
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
Doing a short 3 day trip this weekend, and hopefully a longer trip at the end of July.  As I've mentioned before, I've been extremely brown challenged throughout my entire Sierra career (only a couple caught in nearly 2 decades).  I attribute this mainly to never being in the right spot (the lakes I fish do not have browns), but part of it is my long history of using bait, while another part is the relative rareness of the brown.

From what I gather, the Owens is flowing too fast to fish right now.  I am only going to the Bishop area this trip...not heading up the Sherwin grade most likely.  Any recommendations?  I found a few out of the way places to catch some golden, rainbow, brook, and even a shot at cutthroat, but I'm not sure where I could potentially catch a brown or two.  I know Pleasant Valley reservoir has them, but it's not my favorite place to fish, especially since I'm going to be fly fishing for most of this trip.

Thanks in advance.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: So I wanna catch a few browns this weekend.... where to?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
stay out of the Lower O, it's running fast.

Good luck on your trip and catch lots of fish and take pictures for those of us staying home this weekend.

flyGirl

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
I'm brown challenged myself.  I caught a few, very few!  Hopefully you get some responses from the board.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
stay out of the Lower O, it's running fast.

Good luck on your trip and catch lots of fish and take pictures for those of us staying home this weekend.

Will do, thanks

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:15:18 PM »
I'm brown challenged myself.  I caught a few, very few!  Hopefully you get some responses from the board.

Glad I'm not the only one. 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »
Lots of Brown Trout opportunities in the Bishop area.

The Owens River Gorge offers both controlled flows and hungry brown trout. You won't likely catch anything over 14 inches, but you'll have lots of action on both dries and nymphs.  I catch 3 browns for every 4 fish on average.  The fish are eager to take most anything. Just keep it 16 and smaller.

Browns as well as some rainbows can be found along nearly the entire length of Bishop Creek, along with the occasional brookie.  Also some good action on wild fish.  Brown 3/1 on average and higher.  Lots of browns in Bishop Creek.

North & South Lakes is a great Brown fishing Lakes.  I do best at South Lake inlet as the browns love the fly’s.  Also you can take a hike up to Long Lake out of South Lake Trailhead.  I average 1-2 browns each trip and it comes with a great view.  Maybe you can catch the big boy Gary C. saw cruising! :lol:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »
Lots of Brown Trout opportunities in the Bishop area.

The Owens River Gorge offers both controlled flows and hungry brown trout. You won't likely catch anything over 14 inches, but you'll have lots of action on both dries and nymphs.  I catch 3 browns for every 4 fish on average.  The fish are eager to take most anything. Just keep it 16 and smaller.

Browns as well as some rainbows can be found along nearly the entire length of Bishop Creek, along with the occasional brookie.  Also some good action on wild fish.  Brown 3/1 on average and higher.  Lots of browns in Bishop Creek.

North & South Lakes is a great Brown fishing Lakes.  I do best at South Lake inlet as the browns love the fly’s.  Also you can take a hike up to Long Lake out of South Lake Trailhead.  I average 1-2 browns each trip and it comes with a great view.  Maybe you can catch the big boy Gary C. saw cruising! :lol:

Great advice.

I've never been to the Gorge.  Isn't that flowing really high right now, too?  I was under the impression that anything south of Crowley is going to be flowing too fast. 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
Flow is 45 CFS.  This is a permanent flow required to be maintained by LADWP.  But it can get hot there, I usually fish the morning only here because of the heat.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
I agree with wshawkins about Bishop being a good place to pick up browns. I was with a group this weekend that fished the creeks and a lot of browns were caught. The spin fisherman fishing bait caught only bows with one or two exceptions. The fly guys on the other hand caught browns probably 9 out of 10 fish. I think that may be an example of why some of you may have caught so few browns in the Sierra.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:50:09 AM by Gary C. »

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »
I always catch a few browns in Walker Lake (June Loop). The upside to this lake is that rarely is there a crowd there. The downside is that you have to hike in and the browns are more active early and late on flies. It's always better to get an early start then to risk staying late and having an accident on the trail out due to little light. Try venturing to the inlet as this holds the best opportunity for the bigger browns. Good luck on your trip.  :flyfish:
"Don't get no better than this!"

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
Gary-that is prolly the biggest reason for people not catching many browns.  Flyfish and you will catch them,  power bait and wait and you won't catch many.  Pretty much all the creeks and lakes in the Sierras (at least the roadside ones)  have browns in them.   Not all of them,  but most of them.  Many of the backcountry areas do,  but sometimes as you get higher it is more about brookies and Goldens. 
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
Gary-that is prolly the biggest reason for people not catching many browns.  Flyfish and you will catch them,  power bait and wait and you won't catch many.  Pretty much all the creeks and lakes in the Sierras (at least the roadside ones)  have browns in them.   Not all of them,  but most of them.  Many of the backcountry areas do,  but sometimes as you get higher it is more about brookies and Goldens.

I've been a bait fisherman my whole life, but I haven't been a "power bait and wait" type since I was about 6.  My style of bait fishing is to thread a nightcrawler on my hook and fish it like it was a lure.  Steady retrieve, with some occassional flicks of the wrist to keep them interested.  It's been very effective.  I remember reading about just how much more effective artificials are than bait, but I've never seen that to be the case in action.  I always catch more with bait.  The reason I'm giving it up is because I am tired of fish swallowing the hook.  Even if I manage to get the hook out, they likely won't survive their injuries.    I might catch less with lures, but at least I'll be truly practicing "catch and release". 

oakboy

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »
Im not sure if Rock Creek is a little to north for your trip but i have caught them on mosquito patterns around the east fork area.  Also on the all silver panther martins.

<><
KP
<><

KP

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »
I have caught browns throughout almost all of Rock Creek.  The fish are there,  it might be a wee bit early for a good bite though,  as the water might be kinda cold from whatever runoff we get this year.  Brewskier,  nightcrawlers are usually good for browns.  You mentioned lures,  and flies are lures.  One time about 20 years ago I outfished a friend 16-1 with flies-he was using nightcrawlers.  You need to get to some of the backcountry creeks with the flies and you'll be hooked.  If you are having a real problem with flyfishing,  having someone to mentor you a bit is the best way to go. 
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
There is a specific type of bug I've told you about when you made this post before in the old forum last year. It works great and is almost a 100% a for sure brown on the end of your hook when you feel the tug. ( I've been standing next to friends using other baits and they were catching 100% bows and I was catching 100% browns) get a tiny single red hook and POP the barb and you should never have a problem with them swallowing the hook as i never have. This bug has caught browns where I have never even caught a brown before or even knew they were there after years of fishing there with other methods. One day I used only this bug in 6 different creeks and by the end of the day I had caught almost 3 limits of solely brown trout, they just love it.

Also up untill about 7 years ago I had never caught a single brown trout, I decided to give this bug a try and ever since then I now catch them in all the spots I've fished in the past.

Many of you may remember what this bug I mentioned is but as the old forum no longer exists for reference and  I am a VERY secretive fisherman you can send me a PM and ill let you know.

MGD
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
Brewskier. MGD is 100% right. Catching browns is based on your tacticks and you bait or Fly.