Author Topic: Let's talk attractants  (Read 12983 times)

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Let's talk attractants
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
Anybody use them?  I think part of the reason I have not had a ton of success with spinners and spoons over the years is that I didn't cover up the smell of the insect repellent, sunscreen, and overall humanness on my hands.  I've read about garlic and anise, but I've also seen some that emulate the "hatchery" conditions, while others grind up nightcrawlers and other kinds of fish and make them into attractants.  Which of these work best?  90% of my fishing success was done with nightcrawlers, so I'm gravitating towards those ones.  Not sure if they'd buy a nightcrawler smelling spinner/spoon, but then again fish are pretty dumb. 

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk attractants
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »
Brewskier. There are thousands of lures, attractants, flies, lines, rods, salmon eggs and tricks to getting fish onto your line! Please come by the next Rock creek cook out and we will elaborate on it more. I dont think i have never used attractants while in the sierras ever. I have had luck with just salmon eggs and thomas bouyants. I have used attractants while at the lakes in southern california though. I usually use "bite on garlic". There are also Natural night crawlers that are already pre packaged in "garlic scent" for you. Good luck buddy, we hope to see you soon.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »
There is a lot of controversy over “Fish Attractants”.  If it does attract fish, is it ethical, should it be banned?  Some of my fishing buddies use it and swear by it.  They pour it on their bait, dump lures in it and even splash some on their fly’s. 

Most of the baits they sell now have fish scents already put into them.  The attractants cost the angler anywhere from $1.99 up to $10.00, and when an angler "Douses the Bait" several times, he or she is ready for another bottle, and that can get expensive after a while.

A fish attractant works in one fashion, it removes the human scent from your hands.  So the most effective way to use it is rubbing the formula onto your hands so that anything you touch while fishing would rub off on the bait as to eliminate human scent.  Or you could just wash your hands!

Did my fishing buddies catch more fish than me?  Nope.  Nothing beats just plain old fishing skills, nothing. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

oakboy

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »
I myself have never used attractant for trout.  I have fished with a buddy who used it bass fishing, and he sweared by it on plastics.  Personal preference i think.  I dont like getting my hands all stinky, thats why i bring a rag.

KP
<><

KP

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »
yeah,  I have never heard anyone talk about using attractants on lures when fishing for trout.  Brewskier,  those lures you mentioned are basically "reaction" baits,  they are usually fished fairly fast and the fish "react" on them,  or grab them as they are going by.  The fish either grab them or they don't,  and they don't have time to smell the lure first.  I do occasionally use attractants when bass fishing with soft plastic baits,  but that is to cover up any smell such as sunscreen I might have on my hands.  By the way,  in case anybody out there does not use sunscreen because they are afraid they are gonna scare the fish,  it is a whole lot better to scare a fish or two in exchange for multiple sunburns and visits to the dermo or plastic surgeon.

Brewskier,  I think you might be over thinking a bit here.  If you are not catching many fish on lures,  you might just be fishing the wrong areas.  Get away from the campgrounds and community holes that get pounded.  Get into the backcountry creeks with the flyrod (minus the strike indicators) and get er done :fishing3:

I also am not aware of any controversy surrounding attractants.  I just don't think they are necessary on trout lures...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
yeah,  I have never heard anyone talk about using attractants on lures when fishing for trout.  Brewskier,  those lures you mentioned are basically "reaction" baits,  they are usually fished fairly fast and the fish "react" on them,  or grab them as they are going by.  The fish either grab them or they don't,  and they don't have time to smell the lure first.  I do occasionally use attractants when bass fishing with soft plastic baits,  but that is to cover up any smell such as sunscreen I might have on my hands.  By the way,  in case anybody out there does not use sunscreen because they are afraid they are gonna scare the fish,  it is a whole lot better to scare a fish or two in exchange for multiple sunburns and visits to the dermo or plastic surgeon.

Brewskier,  I think you might be over thinking a bit here.  If you are not catching many fish on lures,  you might just be fishing the wrong areas.  Get away from the campgrounds and community holes that get pounded.  Get into the backcountry creeks with the flyrod (minus the strike indicators) and get er done :fishing3:

I also am not aware of any controversy surrounding attractants.  I just don't think they are necessary on trout lures...

With backcountry creeks, I doubt I'll ever use anything besides a fly rod from now on.  With lakes, though, I don't think I know what to do yet.  I might fly+bobber until I can get the fly cast out there far enough on the lakes.  I should also learn how to use nymphs and streamers for lakes, except when there is surface activity. 

As far as attractants and lures, I was mainly referring to spoons and spinners.  I've never had a ton of luck with either of these kind of lures.  I just never got that hot action I would get regularly from nightcrawlers, where every other cast would result in a fish, and almost every cast would at least get a bite.  I was hoping an attractant would work on at least masking the smell of my hands on the lures. 

oakboy

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:38:16 PM »
in the lakes i have used the small gold or silver mepps spinners and have been wfo.  Back country lakes are awesome!

:hiking2:

<><
KP
<><

KP

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
So "no" on the attractants, then?  I was reading about how insect repellent and sunscreen can adversely affect fishing, so that led me towards looking into certain attractants to cover up the smells.  It seems like it would work on things like spoons.  What about flies?  Does anybody dip their flies in WD40 or one of the other attractants I've read about?  :lol:

What about buying some crickets and mashing them up? 

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
I say don't waste your time.  Like I said before,  with reaction baits,  the fish don't have time to smell them.  Get out and fish as often as you can,  that is what will make you more successful. 
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
I say don't waste your time.  Like I said before,  with reaction baits,  the fish don't have time to smell them.  Get out and fish as often as you can,  that is what will make you more successful.

Hopefully I'll have some success to report after this weekend.

Sierraslam

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
I bought some garlic sent once. Spilled out in my creel, never again.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
I smoke use sun screen and bug repellent and never had a problem with my "scent" on the lures. I do think it matters if you're using stuff like dough baits cause you might mash that scent onto the bait, but again I haven't seen it affect anything. As TT said lures are taken by fish out of a natural reaction and they don't actually "smell" it before they take it. Either they react to the movement or they don't. I am talking specifically for trout fishing. I do understand your concern as I had the same thoughts a few years back and tried some garlic and worm scent not to mask my smell but to maybe attract fish more cause it smelled "tasty", if anything I thought I was catching less than traditional methods. My biggest tip for lure fishing, and i do a lot of it, is don't be afraid to switch lures  A LOT!! I usually have 10 or more lures in my creel and I'm constantly switching it up. One will get hot for a few casts and then completly die off. If its not working keep rotating lures and fishing spots, it might be there aren't any fish checking out your lure in that spot.

Just my comments on my experiences. If youre compelled to do so just give it a try and come to your own conclusion, but as I said I'm sure my hands smell terrible with everything that is on them to a fish, and they'll still bite if they're there.

MGD
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:22:58 PM by Mcgee Dude »
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »
I smoke use sun screen and bug repellent and never had a problem with my "scent" on the lures. I do think it matters if you're using stuff like dough baits cause you might mash that scent onto the bait, but again I haven't seen it affect anything. As TT said lures are taken by fish out of a natural reaction and they don't actually "smell" it before they take it. Either they react to the movement or they don't. I am talking specifically for trout fishing. I do understand your concern as I had the same thoughts a few years back and tried some garlic and worm scent not to mask my smell but to maybe attract fish more cause it smelled "tasty", if anything I thought I was catching less than traditional methods. My biggest tip for lure fishing, and i do a lot of it, is don't be afraid to switch lures  A LOT!! I usually have 10 or more lures in my creel and I'm constantly switching it up. One will get hot for a few casts and then completly die off. If its not working keep rotating lures and fishing spots, it might be there aren't any fish checking out your lure in that spot.

Just my comments on my experiences. If youre compelled to do so just give it a try and come to your own conclusion, but as I said I'm sure my hands smell terrible with everything that is on them to a fish, and they'll still bite if they're there.

MGD

You smoke?  I don't remember you smoking when we went to San Gabriel? 

Thanks for the advice.  I think I may skip the attractants.  I have a ton of new lures I wanna try out, but I will also dedicate most of this trip towards fly fishing.  I am going to buy a few nymphs tonight and I'm going to use them on a trailer with a dry fly on top.  I have PMDs, Elk Hair Caddis, Parachute Adams, Royal Coachmens, Yellow and red humpies, a few stimulators, and a few others for dries.  Hopefully one of those will work where I'm going. 

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
It was the first time meeting you and salim, and the last thing I wanted to do was irritate or bother you guys with the terrible smell.

Sounds like you're ready to go knock em dead! I wish you the best of luck and cant wait to here how you did! Keep in mind don't be afraid to switch up what youre using frequently if it doesn't seem like its working , amd I think youll do great, ok very jealous you get to be up there, we gotta plan a trip asap and meet up there!

MGD
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »
It was the first time meeting you and salim, and the last thing I wanted to do was irritate or bother you guys with the terrible smell.

Sounds like you're ready to go knock em dead! I wish you the best of luck and cant wait to here how you did! Keep in mind don't be afraid to switch up what youre using frequently if it doesn't seem like its working , amd I think youll do great, ok very jealous you get to be up there, we gotta plan a trip asap and meet up there!

MGD

Yeah, I hope I have more success this time around.  I think I have a better idea what I'm doing now than I did a little while back. 

Yeah, we gotta plan some sort of trip.  Even just a day trip to GTW would be a blast. 

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »
I use three scents...

Love Sauce

Bang Garlic

Siberian Garlic Oil

I have on many occasions noticed an increaded catch rate using the attractants next to buddies who are not, but using the same lure, speed.

Might be a confidence thing, but I really think it give you that extra second or two for the fish to hold on to the lures I use.  Jigs, spoons, plastics.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »
did someone mention a trip to GTW?
 fishing opens there very shortly :)

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
did someone mention a trip to GTW?
 fishing opens there very shortly :)

Yes it does!  Hoping to do a backpacking trip mid July.

pc2mac

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
I always use attractants and usually find myself outfishing everyone around me up in the Sierras. My favorite combination is an inflated crawler dipped in garlic. Then, it could be that I'm the only one using inflated crawlers and everyone else is using PowerBait and six pound test line for their leader...  ;-)

It definitely can't hurt to use an attractant.  I like to save old butter containers and pour in the attractant. Then I can just dip my bait in the container without having to touch it. When I'm done fishing, I just snap the lid on the container and it doesn't spill all over the place in my tackle bag.

My favorite attractants have been the Berkley Garlic Dip, Kickin' Bass Garlic, and Pro-Cure Trophy Trout scents.

Tight lines!

2dtrails

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
I use either the Berkeley garlic or corn dip. Tried the Love Sauce, it stains everything, and the bottle it comes in is a pain.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
I use either the Berkeley garlic or corn dip. Tried the Love Sauce, it stains everything, and the bottle it comes in is a pain.

The new love sauce no longer stains.