Author Topic: Power Bait Fishing Poles  (Read 3294 times)

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Power Bait Fishing Poles
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »
Now - purely as an FYI, not intending to sound elitist or otherwise.

Yesterday while in Woodland Hills I stopped by a major national sporting goods chain store to snoop around for any closeouts unique to that location.

In the Fishing Dept, Front and Center to the 'track' around the store, I noticed what appeared to be Kelly Green colored, shorter length Fly Rods.  Since my soon-to-be 7 yr old son's favorite color is Green in general with Kelly being one of his favorite shades I thought I would explore further as he wants to learn to 'fish like dad does'.

Upon close inspection, the Display is a specific Berkely branded fixture, and all of the poles and spinning reels on it are specifically 'designed' for fishing with Power Bait products.  The rod actually has a metal reel seat with cork handle above and below.  Farther down the lower portion of cork is a 4"to 6" section of the Kelly Green color rod with another short section of cork below that.  From a distance, I mistook the short green section as a reel seat for a Fly Reel.  For those who know what I am talking about, from a distance, the rod looked like a 7 or 8 ft long Spey or Surf Casting Fly Rod.

Imagine my surprise to discover what it really was all about...................

Definitely great marketing and presentation - If you fish with Power Bait, you need to match your equipment to it (the Powerbait)!  (Kind of like the old days when the cooking instructions on a box of Kraft Mac and Cheese said you MUST use their name brand of margarine (Parkay?) for best results.  ;D From this, I learned my first lesson from my mother regarding not believing everthing you read........and the power of suggestive marketing).

Best to all, P A C