Author Topic: Bishop Creek - 6/15 - 6/17  (Read 7812 times)

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Bishop Creek - 6/15 - 6/17
« on: June 19, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »
Got back late Sunday night after a nice short trip to the Sierras.  As always, things didn't go as planned, but we still had fun. 

We camped at Four Jeffrey's campground up by South Lake.  Never stayed there, but it was one of the only campgrounds up there that still had reservable sites.  My first choice was in the Big Pine area, but those were all taken.   We had a really nice site right by the creek, full of good sized bows.  A word of warning to anyone considering this campground, though.... make absolutely sure you get a site by the creek.  Most of the campgrounds here are exposed with no trees whatsoever, and look like really miserable places to camp. 

We took it easy the first day and just fished the creek literally steps from our campsite.  I tried fly fishing for an hour, using every fly in my tacklebox, and all I caught was this little guy...

Is this a baby brown?  I can't really tell.  Note the red spots on the side and the brown fins.  If so, this is the only brown I was able to catch this trip.  We never made it down to the Owens.  It was just too hot in Bishop this weekend. 

After an hour of sub-par results with the fly rod, I rigged up my wife's rod with a Panther Martin.  On the very first cast, I had 3 large bows chase the lure, resulting in this:

I didn't measure it, but it was probably around a 13-14" bow.  It was bigger than this picture makes it look.

The very next cast, I caught this

I wish I had a picture of this one out of the net.  A very nice fish, although I don't know exactly how big it was.

Over the next hour, I caught about 6-7 more of these sized guys.  I had to keep changing lures after they got bored, but the fishing was really good here.

Here's a nice shot of Bishop Creek, right near the campground.

We had to keep a few because they took some damage on the retrieve, even though I hooked them in the mouth.  First time in a while I cooked up some trout while on a trip.  I try to let them all go, if I can. 

The next day, we planned to take a 4x4 road up to the Coyote Flats area.  I was taking the "easier way" in from Bishop, and I was scared to death taking that road.  I ended up turning around after we got up the extremely narrow switch back area covered in sharp rocks.  I need to armor up my truck a little and lift it before attempting roads like these.  While turning around, I accidentally scraped the underside of the drivers side frame (just a small scratch that paint should cover up), and I ripped part of the gasket that surrounds the rear differential.  It's just the excess plastic squeezed out from when they put the diff together in the factory, so it's not big worry.  I was going to trim this, anyway. 

Disappointed, we headed up to North Lake and tried fishing the stream, there.  I had a few bites, but no fish.  We then went up Bishop Creek a little further and found this hole full of fish.  We caught about 3 or 4, and then headed back to the campground to continue fishing.  I caught a few fish on the fly rod, finally.  They weren't interested at all in dries, even though I had elk hair caddis, parachute adams, PMDs, black gnats, black ants, stimulators, and a few others.  What ended up working is tying a prince nymph bead head off the end of a dry fly.  Once I saw the dry fly sink down, I set the hook.  Sometimes it would be me getting caught on a rock, other times it was a fish.  I'll have to use this strategy from now on.  Nymphs seem to be the way to go when there is no surface activity. 

On Sunday, we went up to the Kennedy Meadows area for a while.  I haven't been there since I was a kid.  I was sad to see how much of that area burned up in a fire that happened about 12 years ago.  I remember it being beautiful up there.  We drove to the campgrounds up there and were amazed by how empty they were.  It could have been just because it was a Sunday, but if this place stays empty, it might be a good place to go if I don't want to deal with the Summer crowds in the Sierras. 

Overall a good trip.  In hindsight, I wish I would have just kept going on that road.  Maybe next time. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:29:16 AM by Brewskier »

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Creek - 6/15 - 6/17
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »
Nice Brewskier, thank you for the post and pictures.

Glad you had a good fishing trip.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
Nice report and pictures, thanks for posting. I'm happy to see there are still as many trout in the creek as when I was there a few weeks ago.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
great report!

i havent been to kennedy meadows since i was a kid as well..   i remember how green and gorgous it was. 

laughing at your thinking how you wished you kept going up that road.. have those same thoughts all too often after getting back home.   :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
great report!

i havent been to kennedy meadows since i was a kid as well..   i remember how green and gorgous it was. 

laughing at your thinking how you wished you kept going up that road.. have those same thoughts all too often after getting back home.   :)

It's still nice up there, but there are quite a few dead hillsides now.  They had a really bad fire back in 2000, I believe.  I was up there probably in 98 or so. 

Can anybody confirm that the little fish I caught is a brown?  I wanna be able to say I caught a brown this trip.  I don't care if it was sardine sized. 

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
Thanks for taking me out of here and up there with you in your report, Brewskier.  Fun times for sure!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
It's hard to tell with the light reflecting off of it but I would say yes it is a brown.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:44:32 PM by Gary C. »

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
Looks like a brown to me also

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
That's my vote, too.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »
Nice!  Not the size brown I wanted, but at least I got one.  It's the only fish I caught all weekend that actually went after a dry fly.  The rest were all caught on nymphs.  I think I was too visible to the fish.  It was a shallow, crystal clear creek. 

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
Brewskier-nice report,  and yes that is a brown.  As for dry fly action,  you may have been up there a bit early,  although we had a dry winter,  the early season water is still quite cold.  Try this sometime-fish Rock Creek from Mos. flats down about a mile to the meadow above the lake.   Also,  fish upstream from East Fork toward Pine Grove.  Do it a lil later in the season.  You may not see any surface action at all,  but it won't matter.  When you pop those dry flies into a lil hole or pocket,  you'll get hit by a brown right away...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:16:04 PM by Topwater Terry »
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »
Brewskier nice report.

Looking to do some 4x4ing in the sierras in the future, my project fishing truck is starting to come together. Nothing to hardcore as I will only have a small lift w/ 33`s. Just looking to have a little fun on the way to a fishing hole.  :fishing3:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

2dtrails

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »
Definitely a young brownie!  Thanks for the report.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 08:13:21 AM »
Brewskier-nice report,  and yes that is a brown.  As for dry fly action,  you may have been up there a bit early,  although we had a dry winter,  the early season water is still quite cold.  Try this sometime-fish Rock Creek from Mos. flats down about a mile to the meadow above the lake.   Also,  fish upstream from East Fork toward Pine Grove.  Do it a lil later in the season.  You may not see any surface action at all,  but it won't matter.  When you pop those dry flies into a lil hole or pocket,  you'll get hit by a brown right away...

I didn't think about the water temperature.  It was pretty cold.  Even at sunset, I didn't really see any hatches taking place.  There were some bugs flying around of course, but no surface activity whatsoever.  I was dead-drifting everything over a group of fish and none of them seemed interested. 

I'll try it again in early August when (hopefully) I can go up for a longer period of time. 

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »
Brewskier nice report.

Looking to do some 4x4ing in the sierras in the future, my project fishing truck is starting to come together. Nothing to hardcore as I will only have a small lift w/ 33`s. Just looking to have a little fun on the way to a fishing hole.  :fishing3:

I'm planning on lifting mine between 2 and 2.5 inches, and adding rock sliders to protect the rocker panels.  The truck I have came stock with skid plates, but they aren't the greatest.  I might get thicker ones eventually. 

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go with 33"'ers.  The truck came stock with 32" BFG Rugged Trails, which is a decent tire.  Once these go bald, I may just keep the 32" size and upgrade to BFG All Terrains. 

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »
Those are some nice fish - and even though I only recently (opener) caught my first brown - I vote for brown - Thanks for the tip about the campgrounds up at south lake, my husband and I were thinking of trying to camp up there on one of our trips.
Kim

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »
... camped at Four Jeffrey's campground up by South Lake...
... In hindsight, I wish I would have just kept going on that road.  Maybe next time.

Brewskier,

Nice AAR!  Sounds like a good time, despite the minor disappointment.

4-Jeff is a last resort stay for us. It's too hot, especially July-September. Not enough shade. Over night only, it's fine.

Unless the road has deteriorated badly since we went to Funnel Lake, I think that you could have made it. Sometimes you just have to put a spotter out in front and creep along. We had to move a rock or two for better tire contact, but that was with the long bed, supercab.

I'm looking for a smaller 4wd package to go with. Something mid 60s to early 70s...Bronco, Scout, Jeep, or Land Cruiser.

Keep on truckin', and telling us about it.

OldSarge
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:05:47 PM by OldSarge »
Smokey's watching you!