Author Topic: horrible news for June Lke community  (Read 7876 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
horrible news for June Lke community
« on: June 22, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Read in the Sierra Wave, The owners ( Mammoth Mountain) of the June Lake ski area have decided to close the mountain for the summer and next ski season. This is really going to hurt the June Lake community that is already suffering in these hard times...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:45:47 AM by retired96 »

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: horrible news for June Lke community
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
Read in the Sierra Wave, The owners ( Mammoth Mountain) of the June Lake ski area have decided to close the mountain for the summer and next ski season. This is really going to hurt the June Lake community that is already suffering in these hard times...

The June Lake ski area, or Mammoth Mountain?  Both?

Why would they do this?  As a skier, I can comfortably say that this winter sucked, but next year it may go back to how it's been the past couple of years.  Must be something major if they are going to toss away that much potential revenue. 

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:45:02 AM »
Just June Lake ski mountain which is owned by Mammoth Mountain, they bought it in 1986...Local June Lake residents are highly upset as this will be a major loss of money and tourist to their community...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
I imagine most ski resorts lost money this past winter due to the poor snow conditions but why would they already commit to closing down for next winter?  Makes no sense if they have a good winter!  This will really hurt the locals there too. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
Thats really sad news. My daughter is an outdoor clothing sales rep. and she has said that this winter has been beyond brutial. Even last year with all the snow the local business had a hard time. Hopefully a rabbit will come flying out of the hat and help the people that will be effected by this bad news

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
I have a feeling this has to due with Mammoth's budget issues not anything to do with June lake ski area. They said they were going to cut back a lot of things. Looks like they might have cut back something that wont affect their town directly, maybe even increase activity in mammoth this winter.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »
The Mammoth budget and their monster 43 million debt due to the stupidity of their elected leaders has nothing to do with closing June Mountain...June Mountain is owned by Mammoth Mountain which is owned by Starwood Corp.. ( Westin Hotels, Sheraton etc). Rusty Gregory the CEO of Mammoth Mountain blames it on the decreased numbers of skiers at June..  This is going to have a very severe impact on the June Lake community, during the winter months skiing visitors is all they have for tourist to bring money to their small community..

The locals are not happy campers....Sadly Mammoth Lakes is slowly going down the toilet due to the absolute incompetence of the elected leaders... We will see the town filing for bankruptcy very shortly....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
The Mammoth budget and their monster 43 million debt due to the stupidity of their elected leaders has nothing to do with closing June Mountain...June Mountain is owned by Mammoth Mountain which is owned by Starwood Corp.. ( Westin Hotels, Sheraton etc). Rusty Gregory the CEO of Mammoth Mountain blames it on the decreased numbers of skiers at June..  This is going to have a very severe impact on the June Lake community, during the winter months skiing visitors is all they have for tourist to bring money to their small community..

The locals are not happy campers....Sadly Mammoth Lakes is slowly going down the toilet due to the absolute incompetence of the elected leaders... We will see the town filing for bankruptcy very shortly....

I agree.  Mammoth spent millions trying to make it into a destination such as Aspen with the high dollar hotels, restaurants and expansion of the airport.  Unfortunately, the city of Mammoth did this to themselves and Dave McCoy was a smart man to sell and walk away.  I remember the old Mammoth...no fancy hotels...no fancy restaurants...no fancy golf courses...no fancy stores.  The highlight of Mammoth used to be ice cream from Thrifty's after a day of fishing!  I hope that they can recover and that the "corporation" does not turn their backs on June Lake.  They have already been suffering due to the economy...this will only make it worse.
The creek is waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
 A prime example of the stupidity of the town leadership, last year they paid a outside firm to design a new logo for Mammoth Lakes.... They paid a assinine 75,000 dollars for this firm to come up with a stupid logo. They could have had a contest with the local residents, school kids etc. which wouldn't have cost them a dime....When any community has leaders like that, there is only one direction for them to go and that is down the toilet...

2dtrails

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
They reported that they have lost money every year since 1986.  Im suprised it lasted as long as it did.  Its like setting up a carnival next to Disneyland, it was bound to fail.  They had alot of plans to expand the resort, create new runs which would lead down to the town of June, and many more great ideas that were foughtand won by the forest service and Sierra Club. RIP JUNE MTN.  At least we can still :tent: and :hiking2: and :fishing3:!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:57 AM »
There's a meeting July 10th, 7:00 p.m. at the June Lake Community Center to discuss this. Rusty will be speaking. Citizens will have a chance to speak also.

(Rusty Gregory is the Mammoth Mountain Ski Area Chairman and CEO)

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
This is sad to hear, know some people that have lived up there most of their lives and its a struggle even in good times and good weather. The folks with rentals, motels and most of the businesses barely make it now. There is planned development that has been on and off for many years near june mountain, I wonder if anything will happen with this now that june mtn is closing.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
They reported that they have lost money every year since 1986.  Im suprised it lasted as long as it did.  Its like setting up a carnival next to Disneyland, it was bound to fail.  They had alot of plans to expand the resort, create new runs which would lead down to the town of June, and many more great ideas that were foughtand won by the forest service and Sierra Club. RIP JUNE MTN.  At least we can still :tent: and :hiking2: and :fishing3:!

So this is a permanent decision? 

Now I'm disappointed.  I always wanted to go there, but never had the opportunity.  Based on what I know of the resort, I would have preferred it over Mammoth.  Mammoth is too crowded for my liking.  June Lake seemed like a small, family-oriented resort, similar to the other places I go. 

2dtrails

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »
I'm not sure how permanent it is brewskier, I would say this upcoming season is a loss for sure.   We can only hope that some BIG changes are made. It was a great resort and an easy way to escape from the crowds, and wind. I have a feeling somebody will come in and bring it back to life.

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
That article makes it sound like June Lake resort is closed for good...

Sad news.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »
Mammoth Lakes is in Deep doo doo and it will take years for them to get back to a great resort town...There is no way in hell they will ever be able to pay the judgement against them... You elect idiots for leaders and this is what you get.....

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
Brewskier,

The runs will still be there.. Hike up Ski down.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
Mammoth Lakes is in Deep doo doo and it will take years for them to get back to a great resort town...There is no way in hell they will ever be able to pay the judgement against them... You elect idiots for leaders and this is what you get.....

You are right, R96, it will take a long time for Mammoth to sort it all out.

I remember 1955 Mammoth as a sleepy little town with only a few streets of businesses, and most of those being Mom & Pop establishments. We bought our ice, food necessities, bait, and gas at the same place. The only restaurant we patronized was the ice cream shop.

After ‘Nam, went back and it was still pretty laid-back. Went back in the 80s and could hardly recognize the place. Condos everywhere, tourist shops all over, and roads going everywhere. Just drove straight through to Twin Lakes.

90s were worse, and it just kept on growing like crab grass. I think that the “planners” were bought off by the developers.

Now, I think that it all has to kind of seek its own level; however bad that may be. There is no white knight coming to slay the dragon.

Let’s just hope that it can rise from the ashes in a more pleasant and sustainable fashion, and that the folks that live there can make it work.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
It’s too bad that June Lake is being dragged down the gutter because of Mammoth Lakes/Mountain problems.  It’s also probably good that June Lake didn’t go for the big “Rodeo Grounds” development.  There would be hundreds of condo’s and homes sitting vacant now with no local ski resort, a modern Bodie.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
You are right, R96, it will take a long time for Mammoth to sort it all out.

I remember 1955 Mammoth as a sleepy little town with only a few streets of businesses, and most of those being Mom & Pop establishments. We bought our ice, food necessities, bait, and gas at the same place. The only restaurant we patronized was the ice cream shop.

After ‘Nam, went back and it was still pretty laid-back. Went back in the 80s and could hardly recognize the place. Condos everywhere, tourist shops all over, and roads going everywhere. Just drove straight through to Twin Lakes.

90s were worse, and it just kept on growing like crab grass. I think that the “planners” were bought off by the developers.

Now, I think that it all has to kind of seek its own level; however bad that may be. There is no white knight coming to slay the dragon.

Let’s just hope that it can rise from the ashes in a more pleasant and sustainable fashion, and that the folks that live there can make it work.

OldSarge

I've been going up there since the late 80's, and even I have seen a gigantic change in the town.  Those really trendy shops on the far end of town, right by the "scenic route" that goes out towards 395 was the final straw.  I was really starting to worry about the direction of the town.  They wanted to be Aspen so badly, but it's just not in the cards for them.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »
Personally I'm glad that Mammoth will have trouble growing any larger, if they can at all. I feel like they decided to worry about how much money they "could" make instead of worrying about preserving the beauty of the East Side. I for one am glad that I will not see the airport grow any more than it already has, which I think is too much and makes me sad everytime I see it. Heres to keeping the East Side WILD.

GO NATURE!

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
It looks like Mammoth problems will be affecting Lake Havasu City. A few months ago a "Stove" sign appeared on one of our closed businesses. I wondered if it was the same folks and sure enough my wife tells me she found out it was the same people that owned the Mammoth "Stove" restaurant. I was excited and started telling people about it because I thought it would be a great addition here even though we do have a few diner type restaurants. The good ones do very well especially in the winter months.

I just went by and the "Stove" sign is gone and a commercial real estate sign is in front of the building. Sad to see it but something I have learned in the last four years is that sometimes growing bigger is not the best thing. I hope and pray the original Stove will still be there for years to come. I hope they are OK.

The businesses in June Lakes will have some tough times ahead so many prayers are needed for them as well. In Havasu when a business closes (as many have) it is like they are a sacrificial lamb to keep the other like/kind businesses open. The remaining businesses might pick up just enough added business to keep going for a while.

Some day we will all look back on these times and NOT laugh.