Author Topic: 6-22-12 thru 6-24-12  (Read 5445 times)

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
6-22-12 thru 6-24-12
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
This was a spur of the moment trip since I got Friday off, which gave me a 3 day weekend.  Left home at 1am - arriving in Bishop around 0530 - love watching the night sky turn to day with those beautiful sierras as the back drop,  drove straight up to RCL to begin fishing.   :fishing3:

Friday - Was windy, fishing was hard, but when your in paradise you have nothing to complain about, was still able to fish and breath in the fresh air, caught and released 5 for the day, with a break for lunch and some boysenberry pie    :pie2:
Saturday - Hubby wanted to go to Sabrina and South lakes - so we headed up around 7am - got to Sabrina and the wind was BRUTAL - I think it was at least 30 mph sustained, figured we would give it a try since we were already there. Casting was a bitch, but just started aiming in the opposite direction of where I wanted to be, was able to catch 2, before a group of about 15 boy scouts showed up - they spread out and 3 of them - on there very first fishing trip ended up between me an my hubby -  The scout master - (I assume) he was the adult setting up the boys' poles - get this - with a worm hook and a salmon egg - NO weight - in this wind. We were talking about leaving when the first boy tried to cast out and as he did his spool came off and into the water it went - the boys called an adult over to tell them what happend - he shrugged his shoulders and went back to what he was doing - I was shocked - I gave my husband that look and he knew we were staying - I went over to the boys - Lucas had started to cry - his new rod/reel he got for his bday the day before was now broke - and they were going to be camping/fishing til Monday - managed to get his spool out of the water with the net, but it was missing the drag adjustment knob to keep the spool on. I felt really bad, I asked my husband to go to the car and get the spare reel I keep just in case - it is really old - Fixed Lucas' pole up showed him how to use it, in the mean time my husband set up the other 2 boys' poles- Adam & ??(forgot name). The boys were so well mannered, and very appreciative of the help, when my pole went off I called Lucas over and had him reel in his very first fish, the excitement on his face was priceless, eventually I was able to have the other 2 boys come over and reel in their first fish, After awhile they each also caught a fish on their own poles.  By noon we were pretty wiped out because of the wind - we decided to head back to RCL have lunch and a nap - relax - read some of my book, just hang out.
Around 6:30pm headed down to the lake to try the evening bite - didn't get one, but watched the beaver swimming around, and a coyote came down by us at the lake.
Sunday packed up early - hit up Schotz and Jacks and headed home.

Kim

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 6-22-12 thru 6-24-12
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
You and your hubby deserve a hearty congrats!  Being a Scout in my formative years I can thank you from the bottom of my heart for your benevolence toward them. 

Now that's what I call a great 3-day trip, especially finishing it of with Schat's and Jack's.

Nice going, Kim.  Thanks for brightening my doldrums.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »
Thumbs up on helping out those new boy scouts, my one and only boy scout camping trip was not a positive experience, so glad to hear you came to their rescue. Sounds like your trip was a good experience.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »
That's why you are called "Troutmom".

Way to go!
You might have started a couple of kids on their way to being good creekers.

We're proud of you!

OldSarge
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:18:17 PM by OldSarge »
Smokey's watching you!

Fredb

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
Way to go Troutmom, I'll bet those three Scouts will never forget the kindness that you and your husband showed them. You are the 95% of the kind of people you meet in the Sierra's  :twothumbs:

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
Good for you helping the kids out. I went with a group up near South Lake for 3 nights a few weeks ago. We had a half dozen kids with us including two of my own grandkids. I didn't thread my own line all weekend. I just helped the kids get there fish and it was a blast.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
Really a nice thing you and your husband did for the boys!  I work with my nieces and nephews every year on how to fish on our annually family fishing trip to the Eastern Sierra.  I have a large family so I get a new crop of beginners every year, and what a great satisfaction it is to see them catch their first fish!  And how they get better at fishing year to year and the smile on their faces, just priceless!  Way to go Troutmom.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »

FISHING HATS OFF to you and your husband TROUTMOM. Like Fred said the two of you are one of the 95% that help others in need to enjoy their time in the canyon. " As we say at the beach in south O.C the two of you have GOOD KARMA!" Those scouts will always remember your kindness, and I'm sure that your deed headlined the conversation that nite :campfiregroup:

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
Thanks everyone, and yes it was the mom in me that wanted to show them that fishing is fun and make their first trip memorable, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Kim

2dtrails

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
The fishing gods will repay you! :thanks:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
I agree with 2dtrails.
the fish gods will repay you hopefully twice :)