Author Topic: Swimming around rock creek camp  (Read 6143 times)

boliverbog

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Swimming around rock creek camp
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »
This is our familys first camping trip and I am so excited I have not camped for about 20 years. We will be staying at rock creek campground in a tent, looking for a site with some shade and not right next to each other, does anyone know if there are many to chose from? I read you do not need reservations we will be arriving on a sunday or monday in july. Can you swim in rock creek lake? Are there any swimming holes in the area? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Swimming around rock creek camp
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »
I can't speak for everyone, but I really hate it when I show up and people are swimming in the creek and/or the lake.  I know it's a fun thing for families to do, but it kind of wrecks the fishing/camping atmosphere in the area for everyone else.  I don't know of any swimming holes, but part of June Lake is designated just for swimmers and lying on the beach.  Not sure if that is too far out of your way.  I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly.

Oh and welcome to the site!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:34:51 PM by Brewskier »

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:49:58 PM »
I have never seen anyone swim in Rock Creek Lake, I sure wouldn't want to swim in the cold water or risk getting my feet cut because glass or hooks on the bottom. There is a public swimming pool off of Benton crossing rd. If one chooses to water play in the creek, make darn sure there isn't a fishermen in sight.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »
If you are camping at the Lake, then all the parking stalls are side by side and you walk in to the tent sites.  There are many campgrounds in the canyon and most of those are more private and not side by side.  The lake is at 10,000 feet and is very cold, even in the summer, so I would not recommend.  There are also no "swim" beaches at the lake and is primarily for fishing.  There is a pool down at Whitmore Hot Springs and some swimming holes down in Bishop. 
The creek is waiting...

boliverbog

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »
Thank you everyone. I think we will do more hiking and go to june lake if it is warm enough to swim.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:37:38 AM »
June Lake is spring fed, so the water temp stays cold, except that in the beach area as Brewskier mentioned there is shallow water, which warms up.  Give it a try as it is a beautiful lake and the shoreline there at the east end is expansive, so you can spread out a bit and not be on top of each other.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 07:12:48 AM »
Everyone is going to hate me for this but I have kids and have camped at Rock creek forever ... although my kids are older now when the were little we would go up to the lake so that they could swim around/wade in the area where the water runs into the lake. They loved it :) I will say that if people were fishing we didn't do it and they always wore shoes .  :dance:
The Creek is Waiting...

Fredb

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 07:32:32 AM »
So that was you!  :fishing4:

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »

I was camping with some buddies and we decided to fish the sandy beach inlet one day at RCL. We were all in waders when we heard a lot of noise behind us. Wouldn't you know it? ... a group of teenagers decided they wanted to skinny dip in front of everyone right there in the stream as it reached the lake! Well...it wasn't long before the camp host had them rounded up and leaving the area. A little excitement for a bunch of old guys, but there were also some children present which wasn't good. I have seen people take a dip in the lake, but usually when they do...they are not in long as the water is freezing. Like many other fishermen, however, I believe there are places and times (respecting other's rights to fish) people should be allowed to take a dip. The key is doing it respectfully. Of course, these teenagers were not honoring that.
"Don't get no better than this!"

Sierraslam

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »
Grant lake is ok for swimming. People water ski Grant all the time. Last August I was fishing the backside of Grant, it must have been 85 degrees out there. I went swimming while fishing and caught a fish. I had to swim back in and reel him in. It's a kind of a long dirt road back there, but there are some nice enough beaches. Beware of the afternoon wind.. Comes up almost everyday.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
Nobody has mentioned Serene Lake. It's below Eastern Brook Lakes, actually may be considered part of that chain of lakes. Immediately below the bridge you drive over before reaching Mosquito Flat, on the left side of the road, you'll see a trail (sort of) heading up the hill. Depending upon the ages of kids in your group, it's not a bad climb, Scramble up that hill, keep going straight when you get to the top, in a minute or so, you'll be looking down on Serene, It's fairly shallow, therefore warm, nice sandy beaches, pretty nice. It has a small population of trout, but I've  seen very few fishermen up there. Even taking your time, it's a short hike, maybe five minutes, from the road. It is one of the closer places where it's OK to swim. Park either at Mosquito Flat and walk downhill to the bridge, or in the overflow lot and walk up, they're fairly equal.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:45 PM »
PLEASE DONT SWIM IN MY LAKE OR CREEK AT ROCK CREEK!! Swimming at the mammoth community pool is awesome! Go down to benton crossing road and make a right. The pool is 1 mile down the road and the view at the pool is amzing! Sorry this is late but its good for future reference.

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 05:10:54 AM »
There is a lake on the left side of the road when driving up to Mosquito Flats. It's called Serene lake but it is a bit of a climb to get to it. Just check a map and you will find it. There are no fish and no stream running into it so it is warmer. Some of the local youngsters use it for a swimming hole.