Author Topic: Tioga & Rockcreek  (Read 3012 times)

Sierraslam

Tioga & Rockcreek
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
It was great to finally get back up 395 last weekend. I was in real need of mountain air. Two of us took off Friday around 5 am. Got to Mojave and realized I had no video or still shot camera. I was going to buy a throw away camera but never did. So, no pics. sorry. Anyway, got to Tioga Lake around noon after a Alabama Hills Cafe Breakfast, and a Bishop grocery run. Set up camp after a short hike to the backside of Tioga Lake. Caught little stocked Rainbows on almost every cast. The wind was howling, but it didn't seem to bother the fish. Kept a few for something to go with our steak and corn. Saturday we broke camp and caught the 8:00 am water taxi to 20 Lakes Basin. Hiked to the exact same lake that I found frozen solid last August. This time we hit right! Lot's of snow still around the lake so I'm pretty sure it iced out recently. I caught 4 nice Golden's, my partner caught 6. On my last cast I lost the biggest fish of the day. Probably a 16 -17 inch fat Golden right at my feet in the water! Oh well, I was going to release him anyway. I kept 2, my buddy was a Little over excited kept 4. Wow, were they good tasting trout! Headed back down and went to Rockcreek via Toms Place. I found some other guys I know in East Fork, but we were lucky and got Big Meadow #3! Cooked up the Golden's and told fish stories at East Fork till we passed out. Sunday the guys wanted to drive all the way back to Grant and fish, so... we did. My buddy caught an 18 inch sleek Brown that had 5 inches of head alone. Quite the predator. That gave him 3 of 4 species needed for a weekend slam. Monday determined to catch his Brook Trout, we went up to RCL. My nephews and friends we already on the beach at the boat dock because they drove all night, and went straight to the lake. They were catching lots of fish on Night Crawlers. We watched for while then walked past the group camp to fish. My buddy ended up with 2 Brookies to complete his weekend Slam! He was pretty happy I must say. I made him buy me a burger and pie before we hit the road for home.(Got in 3 bag nights!) My buddy did take 1 picture of our Golden's with his cell phone. He said he would email it to me. when he does I'll put it up. Great trip even though the wind blew hard all weekend. July 12th just around the corner!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:47:12 AM by Sierraslam »

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Tioga & Rockcreek
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »
Sounds like a great weekend. Did you run into any mosquito's in the 20 lakes area?

Sierraslam

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »
Mosquito's were bad everywhere, but the wind helped keep them down.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
That’s one of my favorite places to fish in the Eastern Sierra Sierraslam!  Had a friend come back from the Tioga Pass area recently and said the mosquito’s are just terrible, until the wind picks up.  They were especially bad at Saddlebag Lake, just swarming.  He also mentioned that the lake levels are down this year too.

Looks like you timed the golden trout lake just right!  Thanks for the report.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »
Awesome report! Sounds like you had a blast, Cant wait to get up there this weekend!

Thanks!

:goodpost:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 06:36:27 AM »
Sounds like you had a great trip.  My mouth is watering for one of those golden trout, especially up in the mountains.  Thanks for the report.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
Sounds like a very cool trip.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:12 AM »
another great trip!!!   and your note to self will read:  when going to sierra's, take camera:)

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....