Author Topic: Golden's from Rockcreek area  (Read 7776 times)

Sierraslam

Golden's from Rockcreek area
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »
  This is my Nephew with his prize Golden's!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Golden's from Rockcreek area
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
woohoo!   way to go nephew!!!!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »
Golden Creek??  Outlet creek of Golden Lake??  That's my guess...
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »

Would have loved to have been there for dinner!

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
Some nice fish for sure!

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »
Wow! Those are some monsters!

Biggest I ever caught was 8-9 inches.

OldSarge
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:31:49 AM by OldSarge »
Smokey's watching you!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:34:42 AM »
Wow!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:35:05 AM »
Really nice fish!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »
NICE  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:29:27 AM »
very nice
 thanks for posting

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
No C&R?

Should this thread be in the "members only" section?  Just in case?

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
NICE Fish !!!!

Thats what I call a GREAT day of fishing.  :clap:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Sierraslam

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 07:01:25 AM »
Your probably right Brewski. I was not there, i was in the 20 lake basin a few days before. I did talk to them about catching and keeping Spawning Golden's. Six people, and they kept six fish. It's a heck of a walk to not come home with one of those tasty Golden's. Once the out let becomes a trickle, all those fish just disappear into that deep blue water. I've found that to be true in most of the lakes that have Golden's in them. I've been skunked more than once back there.

troutketcher

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:33:41 PM »
Hey guys!  Just rejoined the forum, I had been a member on here before things got restarted, I'm heading up to the sierras next Monday for 7 days so will post a report when I get back.  Planning on hitting up rock creek area as well as 20 lakes basin, june loop, and mammoth area. 

Was planning on hiking up to treasure lakes but now I'm thinking of making the trek to Golden Lake.  How many miles each way is it from the flats trailhead?  Looking at a map, I'm guessing about 5.5 miles each way?

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 06:16:43 AM »
Welcome back, troutketcher.

troutketcher

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
So I found out it's actually more like 7 miles, definitely going to be one heck of a tiring day but definitely the views alone from mono pass will be worth it! And to catch and release some nice goldens would put it over the top.  Going to do this hike most likely next Saturday, I figure if I get to the trailhead by 7:00 should be good.

Sierraslam

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:55 AM »
I'll send you a message with some info. on the Half moon pass route to Golden. It's much shorter, but very steep. You don't get to pass by Ruby and get the view of Little Lakes Valley though.

Sierraslam

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 08:06:06 AM »
Troutketcher, did you get my message? I've been known to send messages to the wrong people.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »
Sierraslam, ab-sn and I are thinking about heading to Golden Lake this summer, so any insight into that route you could forward to me as well would be appreciated.  I vaguely remember a thread prior to this that had a route over the pass, but that was on the old board.

Thanks in advance.

IW

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
Golden is a fun lake to go to however in the dozen or more times that I've been in that area and fished from the bottom of the rock slide at the lake around to the outlet, I've only seen fish in Golden once or twice and only a couple of quite small ones.   Even the time that we camped next to the outlet of Golden for late day fishing and early morning fishing we didn't catch any and we did go to the sandy area towards where Mono Pass trail comes down.   However I have seen some pretty nice fish once or twice that were caught there when people were getting them frozen at the Store.  (Yes, before it was called a "resort".)

I'd take 2 days and go on to Pioneer Basin and perhaps an upper lake or 2 in the Pioneer area.   There are some nice Goldens in some of those lakes.   I think my father caught the only fish, a Golden about 20 inches long from one of the highest up lakes.   Only fish seen in that lake on several trips there.

If you are reasonably able to read a map and are reasonably fit you can contour around from the creek out of Golden into Pioneer Basin without losing altitude to go to the trail to Pioneer which crosses Mono Creek at a much lower elevation.  You can head for Mud Lake or intersect the trail coming up from the creek a bit below.

The quickest way to get to Golden, much much faster than Mono Pass and can't be done with a horse, assuming the snowbank on the Rock Creek side is not very deep or nonexistent which is likely in this dry year this time of year is to go over Half Moon Pass, and through what we always called Webb Gap since it was my father's favorite path over the Sierra Crest.   Park in the area of the Pack Station and go up from there.   Look at a map and make sure you are heading towards the right rock slide.   The last several hundred feet is over a rock slide so don't take a small dog with you unless you want to carry it up the steepest part and down the other side as we had to do several times with our short legged Cocker/Corgy dog.  There often has been a fairly well traveled trail to the gap if you look for it in the sandy areas.

Once reasonably acclimated one of my brothers made it to the Sierra crest and the gap in less than an hour however I don't know that now 20 years later he could match that performance.

Half Moon was obviously an Indian way over the Sierra crest as I found a Hudson Bay light blue trading bead at the very top between a couple of rocks where you could see a small patch of sand.  I figure it must have been a trading route over the Sierra???  Even though I've looked I've never found any other sign of Indian items at the crest.

A bit of time with Google Maps may give you some more specific information about the upper areas of the mountain getting to Half Moon Pass.   However when I last looked it seemed that Google Maps lately were taken with snow in many areas and I didn't get the nice views that I got for some friends of both sides of the trail over Webb Gap.

troutketcher

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 09:50:20 PM »
Yep got it thanks Sierraslam!  Been packing all day getting ready for the drive up tomorrow morning.  Planning to hit Convict, Crowley, Mamie, George, Virginia, Saddlebag, 20 Lakes basin, June Loop, and of course, Little Lakes Valley over the next week so will let everyone know how it goes!