Author Topic: Food storage at rock creek lake campground  (Read 3571 times)

boliverbog

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Food storage at rock creek lake campground
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
Hi everyone counting down the days untell we leave. More questions, is it safe to leave unopened caned food out of sight in the car with all the windows rolled up at night? We will be staying nine days and will bring alot of food with us. I dont think it will all fit in the bear box. We are on a tight budget and it saves alot if I bring most of our food.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Food storage at rock creek lake campground
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
It should be ok to leave that kind of stuff in the car,  as long as it is covered up and out of sight.  You might be surprised though,  at how much can fit in a bear box,  I bet you'll get most of your stuff in there...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:49:36 AM »

The bear boxes are really roomy. We usually fit a marine cooler and a couple interlocking food containers inside, with a few extra bags of goodies. Although, this does entail the need to rearrange things when you have to get something out. It's still great insurance for those extremely strong critters that can open a car up like a tin can. I'm with Topwater, as long as airtight can goods are hidden in the car there should be no issues. Just are word of wisdom...a bear knows what coolers are and even though they can't smell anything...if they see it they may try and break into the car to get to the contents.

I made the mistake many years ago (before the bear boxes) of thinking that bears wouldn't like cooking oil enough to bother it. I was wrong! A bear drank a half gallon of cooking oil on our table one night and left an oily mess to clean up the next day. Needless to say...that bear would have been easy to track!
"Don't get no better than this!"

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
  Needless to say...that bear would have been easy to track!
:)

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »
Those bear boxes are good sized, 5 of us have camped for 7 days (3 of them teenage boys) and we fit all of the food, we organized it in plastic bins (all cans in 1, breads, crackers oatmeal in another etc, it made it easier when you needed to get something you just took out that bin. Have fun
Kim

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »
If you can't put all your stuff in a bear box you are bringing too much stuff....its camping, you don't need to bring half your house with you.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
Canned food and drinks are fine, as long as they are concelled.  Fresh, bagged and boxed food the can smell...even if concealed.  Also, they know what an ice chest is, so those whould be covered as well.  The bear boxes are huge, so I am sure you will have enough room.   
The creek is waiting...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
We store all are dry goods in a large rubbermade box and leave it in the back of the truck covered. The host at Eastfork told us that there were signs of a bear on the backside of the creek but as of July 3rd when we left he or she hadn't come into the campground . I did see one site while we were there that left 3 large coolers out if that continues it's only a matter of time .It always amazes me when I see that  :puzzled:

:trailer:
The Creek is Waiting...

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:01:02 AM »
You can see what happens when a bear sees food in a vehicle in my YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLvWZsbTP_I&feature=plcp

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »
I have one of those huge marine coolers so it's about all I can get in the bear box besides dish soap and other kitchen clean up supplies. Put them away at nite. I keep my dry and canned goods in a plastic tote, my cooking gear also in a tote. We store both totes in the back seat of the truck along with our toiletries, and cover them with a large beach towel Keep your campsite clean and put things away at nite and you wont have any bear problems, as the bear will go to the campsite that didn't use any common sense.