Author Topic: 6-29 - 7-2 Float tube Extravaganza Trip  (Read 14388 times)

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
6-29 - 7-2 Float tube Extravaganza Trip
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:27:58 PM »
With gas prices falling, Seth ( BaldyCreekDude) and I decided it was time for another trip and a few more bag nights. We arrived into camp on Friday at 9am. We set up camp and then broke out the float tubes. I've had these tubes for over 5 years and never even opened the box, so I decided it was time this trip to do so, especially since I wanted to try trolling some streamers nice and slow. I also wanted to catch all my fish on a fly rod, as I learned this skill over the winter and had yet to catch a trout in the Sierra on one. Once we had everything set up and figured out we headed to Convict Lake.

When we got to Convict I would say it was just before 1pm. We got on the lake and kicked around the outlet half of the lake for a little while to get the feel of the tubes and how they work. Then the adventure began. We kicked from the outlet to the inlet and back again. What a journey. Seth caught 3 on a Golden Super Duper, and I struck out. I only had 1 strike all day. I can honestly say it was an amazing day of fishing even though I didn't catch anything I had a blast! We even saw a Bald Eagle out there fishing with us which was a cool thing to watch!

Saturday we woke up early and headed up to RCL. We kicked around the outlet half of the lake and around the boat docks. I was trolling an Olive Woolly Bugger and boy were they hammering those! I kept 3 that day. I have to say trolling a streamer is one of the best ways to fish, and I wish I would have been doing this for years! Saw a guy that was floating next to us hook a 3lb+ trout on an Olive Woolly Bugger. We decided to get out of the tubes and warm up a bit, as Seth was just in board shorts, and I was just in wet suit leggins. We fished from the shore and caught 3 while sleeping. We dubbed this "sleep fishing", getting woken up by the tug of a pole is pretty neat!! As the sun went behind the hill the trout started feeding on the surface so I switched to a Dry Mosquito and hopped back in the tube. I managed to miss a ton, but hook a really nice little Brookie that fought like it was a MONSTER. Ha Ha. Also saw a Bald Eagle fishing with us here too all day, such an amazing thing to see.

Sunday we were going to head out to Kirman but decided to save it for another trip later this year ( fall ) but we ended up at Crowley. Drove from the Benton road side took a dirt road out to Green banks I think. Parked the truck ( which was a super happy truck this trip, loaded up with tubes and flying down dirt roads ) and walked the tubes to the lake. Crowley was GREEN, like really really green. Guess there was a crazy algae bloom going on. Fishing was super slow, and it was super hot outside. It was a perfect day out there though, not an ounce of wind glassed out all day. Seth managed to catch a Perch on a Woolly Bugger, but that was all. After we couldn't take the heat anymore around 130pm we decided to head back up to RCL. Trolled the Woolly Buggert some more hooked a ton and caught a bunch. Again as the night before the trout started feeding on the surface as the sun started to leave the sky, but I noticed that there wasn't as many fish feeding as the night before. I switched to a Sierra Bright Dot and Hooked a ton, but landed only 2. 1 was a for sure born in the lake natural Rainbow with perfect fins awesome colors and the head of a natural. The second Rainbow on the Bright dot I think was natural as well, not a mark on its body but I could be wrong about this one. I let them both go to catch again another day. Mr. Bald Eagle was there again all day fishing with us.

Monday after neglecting the creek all weekend, we both felt really bad so we rigged up and headed to the creek. We both caught fish and spent the entire afternoon on the creek banks, bush whacking and pushing through to tight spaces and boy was it great! I love that kind of fishing.

All in all what an amazing trip!! I will never fish from the shore of a lake again, unless its to "Sleep fish" Ha Ha! Float tubes are the way to go hands down! The weather was perfect barely any wind at all and bright blue sunny skies every single day. Monday was a had a tad bit more wind than any of the other days. While up at RCL had a Bacon Burger some Golden Trout beer, and a slice of :pie2: !! I caught every fish on a fly this trip except for 1 of them. Had a blast can not wait for my next trip, this time with some Chest Waders for sure. HA
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: 6-29 - 7-2 Float tube Extravaganza Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »
FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a fun trip!    and i love the 'sleep fishing' thing:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:13 PM »
Sleep fishing! That's classic! :lol2:
Sounds like you had a great time! Thank's for sharing your trip.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip.  I'll have to try the float tube + streamer method.  Were you rigged up with a sinking line? 

2dtrails

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:57:42 AM »
A float tube will change your life! I prefer it over a boat even. Great report, thanks for sharing.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:34:21 AM »
Sounds like fun Mcgee Dude!  Have to try that “sleep fishing” technique. Catch them while you sleep!   :lol2:  RCL Lake has always fished well for me on woolly buggers and matukas.  Thanks for the report.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
Nice report.

Hope to learn to float tube someday myself, sounds like alot of fun.

Nice way to finish off the trip ( burger, golden trout beer and pie )
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
Inspiring report, Mcgee Dude. 
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Sierraslam

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:45:04 AM »
Very nice! No better way to end a trip than outside on the deck of the resort, with a burger, pie and a Golden Trout! When sleep/nap fishing, try removing one shoe and sock, and wrap the fishing line around your little toe. When the tug on your toe wakes you, you got one! Huck Fin style. I love it! good fishin!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/trip2.jpg/][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is Katy, I think they said shes a Bernease Mountain dog. She belongs to the McGee Pack station and uses the whole canyon as her "range" and roams it all night protecting us :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
Sorry guys I'm having some serious problems posting pictures, I get a forbidden error when i try and then i can't even acres the site for about a day after i get the error.. I'm on my phone now.. so lame

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »

Can you find Seth? Ha Ha

East Side Sunset Rock Creek Road and Hwy 395

Dinner:

RCL Brooke, Dry Mosquito:

Bald Eagle Convict Lake:

Natural Rainbow RCL, Sierra Bright dot:

Crazy Bloom on Crowley:

RCL, Olive Woolly Bugger:

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
Doing that from a phone was difficult! Haha only took a few hours.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »
Awesome-awesome. Nice report. Weather looked great fishing and great company! That dog doesn't look like a "Berner" They are more saint Bernard looking? How's the camping at McGee?
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
McGee, were you trolling with sinking line?  I bought an extra spool for my fly rod but I have yet to buy the sinking line for it.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 10:46:56 PM »
Awesome!  Looks like a fun time for sure!

Can't believe how bad that algae bloom is at Convict!  Yuck!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
No sinking line as I do not have a second spool, and I wanted to use dries too, I jimmy rigged my line to sink tho. Next time sinking line on a second spool for sure.  the bloom wss on Crowley too, the water was very warm, like a hot tub.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
Oh and the camping at McGee is horrible!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
 :lol2: :lol2:

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 06:18:12 AM »
Oh and the camping at McGee is horrible!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
 :lol2: :lol2:

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
Sounds and looks like a great trip. You will still fish plenty from the shore, trust me. Mostly on windy days when the whitecaps are busting over your back and pushing you to the wrong side of the lake.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
Great work Jo,  glad you are getting em' on the fly!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 09:49:26 AM »
You don't really need a sinking line.
Your leader can be rigged with the proper weights to do that.

KISS model is best and the least expensive.

MGD, what rod did you use and how did it handle?

great report, but I alreaydy knew most of that from the RCL FB postings

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:26:33 PM by ab-sn »

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »
FANTASTIC photos.. worth every minute you spent working on it!  i really LOVE those black and white ones.. so cool!!!!!!!!!!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »

Great Pics!!!!!! I used to love my tube. I caught so many fish from that tube and the cool thing is that when the banks are crowded you can always find a place on the water to fish. The banks seems to limit your opportunity when there's a lot of people. We are looking into something that can get us out of the water and on top of it. I have looked into several different pieces of equipment for two people but they all are pretty expensive. Looking for something in the 8-10' range for two people and small dog.
That small voice calling my name is the mountains,
and I must obey.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
The blue and tan tube I'm using has my body up out of the water. Just from just below my knees down are in the water, its really nice. Heard a shore fisherman say it looked like a floating lazy boy ha ha. Feels like one while you're in it.