Author Topic: Dogs and bears?  (Read 4787 times)

boliverbog

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Dogs and bears?
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:40 AM »
Hi everyone thank you for all the good ideas. I just watched the video with the bear trying to get into the car. We were planing on bringing our lab with us she would sleep in our tent. In the clip someone said is there a dog in the car?  :lightning: Now I am worried it might not be a good idea to bring her what do you all think. The camp said dogs were allowed, I thought a dogs bark would scare a bear away not attract them? Please fill me in on this bear thing I dont want to make any major mistakes. Thanks boliverbog

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs and bears?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »
Your'e dog will have as great a time as your family will. Just one reminder, take her everywhere you go as she is also a family member. People that take off for hours and leave their dog tied up in camp howling should just leave their pet at home. It's their vacation too.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »
We always take our Dogs  :clap:

As far as the bears go ... I wouldn't be to worried as long as you keep a clean site you will be fine. I have been going to Rock Creek for 20 plus years  4 or 5 times every summer and although I have seen bears a few times it has never been in my site ( its clean ) all they want is food ,chances of them bothering you or your dogs is slim to none,chances of you even seeing a bear is slim to non. SO GO and Have a WONDERFUL time with your dogs  :camping: :clap: :fishing3: :clap: :pie2: :clap: :hiking2: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
Most bears in the sierras are more afraid of of you, then you are of them.  Majority will run away.

Now if you were in an area where there are Grizzlies, then it may be a different story.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:32:31 AM »
Camping Dogs and the bear box
The Creek is Waiting...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »
take your dog, take your dog, take your dog!!!!   dogs LOVE camping!!!!!     and just think,, if your dog sences that there is a bear around, they will let you know, and you might even get to see it!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:04:42 AM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
like most of these fine individuals have eluded to (you too Corey :rotflmao: :lol2: :clap: :lol:),  be smart,  keep a clean site,  and forget about bears and have a great time!  I have been camping at Rock Creek all my life and still have not seen a bear up there.  They are there,  but if you don't have a bunch of food and ice chests all over your site,  you won't see them either...just keep your dog under control at all times,  don't let em' go running off on their own,  that will benefit everyone...now,  as far as the weather is concerned :lol: :lol2: :lol:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »
I think we have touched on all the hot topic's  Bears, Dogs amd the Weather  :lol2:

The Creek is Waiting...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
Now if you were in an area where there are Grizzlies, then it may be a different story.

If they know you are there and you don't panic and run you are fine.
I posted a thread about fishing in Yellowstone park last summer. 
We fished the park three days and two of those where within 100-200 yards from a large silver back.
Never bothered us and we did not panic.

on the RCL subject, I think bears tend to stay away from our campsite due to our dogs.
this year we will not have Bella (the wolfdog), so we shall see if that changes.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »

We have seen several bears in the RCL area. We have almost always brought a dog. Noah used to go with us all the time. After Noah went to doggie heaven we just didn't feel right about getting another right away. Tomorrow will be Jasper's (beagle) first camping trip. He LOVES to hike, but has never been camping (only hotel and cabin stays). In the past with Noah we really didn't have issues with bears, but some visited our camp site. They usually will not approach a human unless something really entices them to do so (open food containers). Remember...we are in their home and therefore should understand them enough to respect them. Even when we are in camp, we keep food and ice chests locked away in the bear box. Only when we are preparing the food will we get it out. Bears will attempt to get the easiest meal possible so if they can steal it from campers it will be easier then foraging for it.

Also...my wife and I always wash the cooking equipment after every meal and dispose of the trash often throughout the day.

"Don't get no better than this!"

JJErickson

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »
Hi, all. I, too, agree with everyone on here. I have been Creekin' it for about 20 years now, and I have ALWAYS brought my dogs. When I was a kid, it was my Lab, and now, it's my two Golden pups. I spend a great deal of time with my dogs as they are like my kids, but I never see them happier than when they are in Rock Creek Canyon--and that's the truth!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
I always take my lab JoJo when I go to the sierras, she is the first one in the truck and the last to get out. :lol: Your dog will have a great time and let you know if any visitors are near by.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
Dogs are the best and have a blast.  Took my lab/pointer mix to Mosquito Flats and he just went nuts.  So much fun.

Welcome to the Board, JJErickson
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

ose

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
I to enjoy taking my dog. But he loves to swim so l am always mindful of my fellow fishing friends around me. I tether him when necessary so he does not decide to take a swim when there are people with lines in the water. He gets plenty of swimming time and loves to be in the sierras with his family.Been going to the sierras for 20 years and can count on one hand the times l have witnessed a bear. No troubles like what has been said above keep your site clean.[/img] 
Ose

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 09:13:39 AM »
Suggestion  :thanks: 

So as a dog owner this is my #1 pet peeve  People who let there dog off leash but have no control over there dog. I am a firm believer that if your dog listens to you when you same come then by all means let it off leash but...

I can not tell you how many times on this past trip we encountered people with there dogs off leash and as we approached they yell it's OK they are friendly ! well guess what mine aren't ,they do however listen to me so we had no bad encounters .

IF YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER YOUR DOG IT SHOULD BE ON A LEASH :thanks:

The Creek is Waiting...

ose

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
Yeah my dog gets a hair trigger every once and a while. He seems to think float tubers are rubber ducks or tennis balls that he needs to retrieve. Hence the tether that l will use on occasion.  That thing seems to get more tangles than my fishing pole will.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:31:34 AM by ose »
Ose