Author Topic: Who else has DRIVEN to the top of Morgan Pass???  (Read 6986 times)

IW

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Who else has DRIVEN to the top of Morgan Pass???
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
I posted this at the end of the Pine Creek Mine stories and pictures...great to read them...

I thought I'd like to find out who else is still around who has driven up Crankcase and to the top of Morgan Pass as I have probably 4 or 5 times total.

I wonder how many others on this board have DRIVEN to the top of Morgan Pass as I have at least couple of times before the road form Mosquito Flats was blasted shut...???   We never drove down the other side and just walked down to fish.   The back side was gravely and we were afraid we couldn't pull back up from the Pine Creek side with only 2 wheel drive of our 1928 Franklin.   And then we'd have to drive all the way down to 395 and back to Tom's Place and back up the canyon, then a dirt road to the Rock Creek Lake STORE and around the lake and up the old branch of the old Sand Canyon Road to Rock Creek Lake to our cabin.

I remember however driving UP Pine Creek to the mine in a then modern Chevy or GMS Surburban once when my father was going to see a geologist colleague of his.   I remember when we went to fish, walking down from Morgan Pass, looking from the lower Pine Creek lake down to some of the mine buildings but don't think we ever walked on down since fishing was more important to us on our trips down to the upper and lower lakes.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Who else has DRIVEN to the top of Morgan Pass???
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »
That would have been way before my introduction to LLV.

Sierraslam

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »
My grandmother did. My dad tells a story about how they hung canvas bags of water to cool the over heating car down, then run down to the creek and refill. I guess it took a few trips to the creek to reach Morgan Pass.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »
It must have been some drive to make it to the top of Morgan Pass.  Do you know what date they closed the road for cars?

Postcard of Morgan Pass taken in 1930. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »
Great post. I hope we get some more on this subject. How about some more old photos :goodpost:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
Chickenfoot Lake 1925.  Bet you never seen a boat in this lake before, especially a heavy wooden boat.  Wonder how the fishing was back then?
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
This entire thread had just blown my mind!

:clap:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
Walking to Chickenfoot is hard enough; how do you get a boat up there?

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »
Probably by an old truck.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
I've seen pictures if some of those wooden rowboats on the backs of mules, on their way to Little Lakes Valley, one mule, one boat, with the stern and bow overhanging the head and tail of the mule. I'm pretty sure that Rock Creeks Lake Resort was responsible for the boats on the lakes, they'd rent them out to fishermen. There are the remnants of one of the boats in the last Hidden Lake before it flows into Box Lake....if you follow the chain of Hidden Lakes to the last one, you can look into the creek connecting that lake to Box (you'll have to wade a little) until you see a recognizable bow. Most of the wood is gone, but you can see the metal shape of a bow...it was in better shape when I was a kid, time has taken its toll.

IW

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 05:27:48 PM »
Yes, there were wooden boats.   And originally they were taken up the canyon I think as described on animals  and after WWII the old ones were replaced with fiberglass boats that I think were taken up the canyon by pickup truck.  When the road was blasted shut I think the boats were supposed to be removed as the area was declared a Wilderness Area but think the store took their time doing so.

I remember my father driving maternal grandparents to Chickenfoot in our 1928 Franklin Airman and renting the boat for trolling.   I think they caught a few nice fish.   My mother's parents were strictly "old school."  I don't ever seeing her father without a hat on and a white shirt and tie and vest.   Even when he was working in our garage on the WOODEN table saw that he had built probably from Popular Mechanics.  If we hadn't been able to drive them up the canyon they would never have walked up the canyon. 

I recall once while fishing at Chicken Foot when it started to rain getting under the upside down store boat which was chained near the outlet and my father taking a nap while my brother and I were bored but not wanting to get soaking in the rain.