Author Topic: Another great trip  (Read 4768 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Another great trip
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:18:25 AM »
Got home yesterday afternoon after 5 days in Rock Creek., I hate coming home.. I left last Tuesday for the 2012 roundup and spent the first two nights in French Camp as Iris and Big Meadow were full...Arrived in French Camp at 1000 hours, set up tent etc. and was on the Upper Owens by 1130.. Fished for about 4 hours and caught about 8.

Wed. On the River by 0700, found a nice deep pool area and using a Rooster Tail, caught a huge fish, played him for about 5 minutes with runs up and down river, saw that he was a big fish and lost him just as it neared the shore when my line snapped at the lure....Fish won that round, a few foul mouther words were let loose.. A few minutes later another big fish was on and I was able to land that one,,,,It measured 20 inches and 3.9 pounds on my digital scale...Within the next few hours I caught about 7-8 more including a 3.1 pounder...It got downright HOT on the river, the Temps were 97 degrees. Fished until about 1600 and returned to camp hot and tired....The temps. at camp were about 92 degrees.

Thursday, Packed up my camp and headed up the hill to Palasade, got the key from the East Fork host,  ( charged me 25.00 deposit for the key) I hope you got the deposit back Carol...Set up camp in Palasade and cleaned up all the trash the previous group left... Every bear box had trash left in it.... In my bear box someone left a entire case of Frito Lay snack foods, at least 200 bags of various snack foods... I gave away a bunch and still came home with about 150 bags of goodies...Hit the river again and had another great day of fishing catching 3 big fish well over 3 pounds.. I gave one away to a elderly couple when they said they wish they had a big fish to cook for dinner versus the stockers they had caught.. Made me feel good to do a good deed for the elderly senior citizens...The weather was warm and it was cloudy and humid all day, had a a little thunder and rain. Went back to camp, cooked a huge Sirloin steak and corn on the cob, Topwater Terry and his dad had a nice steak dinnner compliments of yours truely...

Friday, again on the Owens bright and early, fished down by Crowley and another great day of fishing, caught 14 or so including fish over 3 pounds...Weather was cooler, temps were in the mid 80's.

Saturday, on the river again early, I caught 20 fish and the largest of the trip, at least 4 pounds or more and lost 2 big ones when my lures broke off in the fish.... Somewhere in the Owens is a big fish with a orange Rooster Tail in his lips,,, I want my lures back, I paid good money for those lures and you had no right to steal them from me.

Saturday evening was the roundup get together, it was nice to meet everyone and the food was great.... AB Saleem brought the best beef bacon from Montana that Terry cooked on the BBQ.. Packer brought some great corn bread chile that he cooked in a dutch oven.

Sadly Sunday came and I had to pack up bright and early to head home as my wife was going out of town and she wanted me home by noon so she could leave.... Sorry I didn't get to say goodby to my friends in camp... On the drive home I saw at least 200 RV'S headed north on 395.  Got home bout 1130, unpacked my SUV, gave my neighbor 4 fish and then went out and mowed the lawns.  I was so tired I was in bed before the sun went down....

Overall another great trip,,, I caught 9 big fish, brought home 5.. In all my years of fishing the Upper Owens this was the first time I caught the number of big fish in one trip....Topwater Terry took some photos of them on Saturday evening and I hope he post them as proof of my sucess on the river....Someday I'm gonna learn how to use my digital camera and post pictures... 

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Another great trip
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
so glad to hear you made it back home ok....

it was like 'poof' you had vanished!   didnt hear athing sunday morning.. just woke up and you were gone!    how did you do that????  :)

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:32:33 AM »
Fantastic report, Retired96.  You had what sounds like the best fishing you ever had on the Owens.  You just have to get back there and find those lip lures.  Can't wait to see Terry's pictures.  Them's braggin' rights, Sir!

Oh, the temps sounded really unpleasant, except for the fact that you had to suffer them in your surroundings  :lol:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
after R96 helped me with parking the trailer with slight damage due to my stupidy and having moved Carol's bear box with it, he came up to our group and showed me the fish he had caught.
first R96 had a great smile on his face, then I said something like it looks like it is 22 or 23 inches long.
R96's reponce was close about 1" less than than.  But man was it a nice fish.
...............Way to go R96......................

I also did not hear you leave on Sunday.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPr3L2RlooA&amp;feature=plcp&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MPr3L2RlooA&amp;feature=plcp&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:44:51 AM by Creek Dude »
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:27 PM »
R96, it was great meeting you and listening to your fish storeys, but seeing those fish you caught was amazing. maybe some day I will be lucky enough to tag along and learn your techniques.  :bowdown:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Nice proof Roy!!!!
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »
Thanks Retired, I wish I could have been there but will be heading up in about a week and a half. I hope you saved some pine cones for me.  :wood:

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
Wow!  Great stuff, retired!  Glad to hear you had a great fishing trip.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
Terry that was great video of Retired 96s bounty. Mr 96, that was great generosity on your behalf by giving aways one of your great fishes to  an elderly couple! I bet that guy was shocked and still smiling from ear to ear. Finally we have picture\video of Roys great angler stories documented with pictures!

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »
That is awesome!!! Nice work
Slowly switching from salt to sweet