Author Topic: Rock Creek Republic report  (Read 9885 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Republic report
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
Headed out of the SFV with the ole Navy Veteran about 8:30am Thursday morning and arrived at Palisades about 1:30 pm after making the normal stops in Mojave,  Coso Junction,  and Bishop.  Bill (Bstolton) and family were in the camp,  as well as Roy (Retired 96).  Roy talked about his great success the past few days in the heat on the Upper Owens,  and had the fish to prove it,  these were toads! 
After setting up camp I headed down to my secret spot,  which produced nothing!!  Creek was flowing well but a bit on the low side,  and later in the summer a lot of Sierra Creeks are gonna be lowww....I decided to head even further downstream and did pick up a stocker from this nice run and then caught and released a nice 10 inch brown from another nice stretch    
That evening we were getting ready to light up the pine cones to cook on when Roy insisted that he had extra corn and sirloin-thanks Roy!  Carol (Little Hardrock)  and her friend Misty showed up about dark,  so the camp was starting to fill a little bit.
The next morning after breakfast we headed up to scarf on pie and I fished downstream from the flats to the meadow above the lake,  caught a great variety of wild trout,  got sprinkled on a bit from the leading edge of a t-storm,  and had a great time as I weaved my way downstream

That evening I fished down from the Lodge to East fork,  observed this portrait as I walked through Pine Grove walking a bit more than fishing,  picked up a stocker and several browns,  and stopped in at spot 108 in East Fork to talk with Wayne (Packer) and family,  including his cool friend Dennis,  then picked up another stocker on the far side of the creek.  Also got a visit from Tim (creek dude) that evening,   and got to visit with Stacy (Rockncreek girl) and her husband. 
Next morning it was time for strawberry pie and then the parking lot at the Flats which reminded me a bit of CSUN,  we had to wait about 30 minutes to get a parking spot!  After that I did the hike with Carol and Misty,  getting as far as Long Lake.  Caught quite a few wild fish downstream from there,  also just above Heart Lake,  and in Ruby Creek as well
  I have never seen so many people in the Valley,  but it was still spectacular as always

Even saw a few gals hiking,  making me wonder where I could find one of them  :lol:
Of course,  this is the vista everyone just gasps at once they top Crankcase Grade,  without a cloud in the sky on this day
That night was the big feast in Palisades,  with tons of people there.  Salim brought some incredible beef bacon,  and packer of course showed up with his dutch oven goodies.  I hope I am including all that showed up:  Rockncreekgirl and her husband (thanks for bringing the grill Stacy!),  Packer and family,  Bstolton and family,  ABSN and their foreign exchange students,  Scout,  Marine one and family (thanks for the Shnapps Mike!), Carol and Misty,  Retired96,  and I am hoping I am not missing anyone!  It was good to see Fshrsmn as well,  as he begins his journey back up the canyon,  and later in the night,  Creekdude stopped by again.  Had a great time chatting with Tim about the history of the website and message board,  about some of the folks that have come and gone,  and how much the board,  the folks associated with it,  and the creek mean to all of us.  These are the best of the times!!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:11:33 PM by Topwater Terry »
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Republic report
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:16:29 PM »
great report and picures Terry.

Your forgot Scout.
Last person on the left with glasses.

great catching up with you Scout and thank you for your card.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »
Great report, Terry.  Love the pics, all of them.  R96 did land some fat boys, wow! 

Rock the Creek!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
What a great trip it looks like you all had. Those are some great pictures, especially the one up the canyon.

ab-sn, he did mention Scout along with the rest.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
Good report and nice pics, Thanks  :thanks: :thanks:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:04:32 PM »
Sorry Terry miss-read and missed Scout

Thanks Gary for pointing it out.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »
it's all good :clap:

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
Nice report and pics Terry.

enjoyed talking with you and Karl.

Good times for sure.  :clap:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
Nice report Terry.  I swear one of these years I am going to make it. 
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »
I hope you do make it Todd.  Oh,  bring Corey with you :lol2: :rotflmao: :lol: :lol: :lol2:

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
Im confused..... LOL

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »
you must not be looking at the board that much Todd.  I always give Corey a bad time for spending so much time at the creek,  year after year,  usually just before or after the club event.  It's all good though,  that way she is better able to make plans :lol: :lol2: :rotflmao:

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
yeap, been just checking in when I can..  Little ones been keeping me busy!

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
Thanks for the report Terry. I was really sad to miss it but about a week before the outing I crashed on my scooter going 30 mph wearing shorts, a short sleeve shirt & Sanuks on my feet. I was wearing a full face helmet which saved my face. I hit some sand while braking and the front wheel slid sideways launching me head first onto the street. I'm still riding but wearing gloves now. Can't wear long pants though.

I think I will be fit to go in a week so I am heading up then for another week with my son.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:08:01 PM »
Yes,  we missed you Jon,   I hope you are healing up well!   :clap: As far as long pants are concerned,  nobody wears them in Havasu in the summer anyway :clap:

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
Nice pics Terry, especially the pie!. It was really nice finally getting to meet you face-to-face (along with the other RCL Republics). There is already talks about us heading to higher campgrounds next year so hopfully we will be a little closer to the group. We are hoping to stay in East Fork during the RCL Club 2013. 
"Don't get no better than this!"

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 07:08:24 AM »
Terry, Terry ,Terry

SEE I am not the only one  :lol:   by the way heading up next week  :camping:
The Creek is Waiting...

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 07:41:55 AM »
Nope,  you're not...didn't you say that last year...and the year before..and... :clap: :lol2: :rotflmao: :lol: :lol: :rotflmao:

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:43 PM »
Back from the creek.  Nice report Terry!  We went and found retired's fishing spot after you all left and caught a bunch of fish on the owens.  We put them all back for next time.  Headed back up in a week...guess we already miss the creek!
The creek is waiting...

kerby14

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
great pictures! i was at east fork 114 that weekend, i wish i would have known to look for everybody on here. i am new but found the boards prior to camping and am beyond thankful for the vast amount of info available on here. it would have been great to thank you all in person, but, hey, there's always next time! it was my girlfriend and my first time ever going to the RCL area and we are already talking about going back when we can!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 06:07:26 AM »
Congrats, kerby14, and welcome to the board.  This is a well of information...and a bunc of good people, too.  :camping: :hiking2: :tent: :campfire2: :fishing3:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.