Author Topic: Glamping vs Camping  (Read 6845 times)

bmi1965

Glamping vs Camping
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »
So we almost had some friends join us this coming trip in August, but when I told them they did not have showers at the camp grounds, they put the breaks on. Even though we are bringing a portable one to freshen up in. I guess there are "Campers" and then there are "Glampers".   :camping:

Now I am not Joe camping guy, but that will not stop me from enjoying the wilderness. Whats THE minimum you would do without to go camping?

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Glamping vs Camping
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
When you go to the mountains you are expected to get dirty and smell like fish and pine cones.....Any wussy that has to have a shower.bath everyday is not deserving of the beautiful Sierras....

DIRT IS GOOD...................

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
Better that people like that stay home.

John

Fredb

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:46:27 PM by Fredb »

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
Wow...I didn't realize glamping is actually a real thing!  What a JOKE!  Oh crap!    :lol2: :rotflmao:

These wankers deserve -   :lightning: :chrisw: :rain: :shoveling: :freezing:

After 2 hours of "real" camping they would

:giveup:
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »
here is a link to some northern california glamping

http://scenebayarea.com/2011/08/gone-glamping/

tim...  you really do need to get out more often!:)   ...    or humm,,,,   maybe not, it can be scary out here! :)

just found these from around the world...    you gotta check these out!!!!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/decadent-glamping-photos
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:09:31 PM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »
Ohh boy! I've never heard of "glamping" We all have our comfort thresholds. Mine can be pretty low...You're barking in the wrong direction with me.  I have a friend in Beverly Hills; owns his own company. Well to do.  LOVES wilderness camping/fishing with me even without a toilet in the back country. RCL and the surrounds may be a bit much for your friends. The New Awahnee in Yosemite or the Hotel Del Coronado?

Sorry but we also all have opinions.  BTW welcome to the forum. Don't let all the not-so-positive responses turn you away. Lots of good people and info here!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
My wife and I are a bit past the tents when we go together, especially so after her neck surgery.  We rent a cabin now, but my kids still have to tell me that I "need" to shower 'cause I have a bit too much essence happening after three days of hiking and fishing.  Little buggers need to stay upwind.  :lol:

"Dirt is Good", right on, R96.   :clap:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
bmi1965, if showers are so important to your friends then you can camp at either Pine Grove or Upper Pine grove. The Lodge just across the creek has showers with sinks and mirrors for shaving and the girls can put on their faces. It's also a nice short walk through the pines and along the creek. Personal hygiene is important but you can fill a five gallon jug up at the water stations located throughout the camgrounds, take it back to your campsite and use it for washing your hands, your face and brushing your teeth. Changing your clothes each day (socks, underwear, shirt and pants) are just routine. Even if a person showers everyday by the time they go bed they will still smell like a campfire, and a little facial growth helps keep the repellent on. Personally I'd rather smell a little then go back home with mosquito bites all over my face and arms Hopefully they will come to their senses, you and your friends will have a great time. Ret96 will tell you a little facial growth and going a few days without a shower is a campers badge of honor.
BTW leave the outside shower at home!

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Have a bucket of water at the camp site - if you need to, warm some water on the camp fire and poor into the bucket - as long as you wash your face, pits and cracks you should be good to go. Yes this is coming from a woman - the make up, hair products etc stay home no need for it - relaxation, fresh air and fishing is what its about. Glamping ????? your kidding right
Kim

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »
Don't know nothin' 'bout no "glamping".

When we were kids, the whole family slept in one dark green canvas tent (the kind that smelled of the water-proof coating). We would go to Twin Lakes, Mammoth (the site on the immediate right, just as you cross the road bridge), and camp for two weeks. The only time anyone got a bath, was when we went swimming up at Horseshoe. We just “washed-up” for meals and before bed-time. Changed clothes at least twice a week. Mom washed them in a plastic tub, and hung them on a line. We wore them again.

Not too much in the way of luxury items.
Camp stove and lantern (not Coleman – too expensive), cheap cotton sleeping bags, cheap plastic air mattresses (lots of patches), axe, buck saw, and a bunch of Army surplus cookware/eating utensils. And as much food as would fit in the green steel Coleman cooler (small by today’s standards).

Hike/fish all day. Eat camping food.
That’s how I learned to eat. Eggs fried (whites hard, burned crispy around the edges, yolk as soft as you could make it over the wood stove) and hash browns, three or four trout each; all fried in bacon grease. Some mornings, pan cakes or French toast, also fried in bacon grease. Semi-burned popcorn, popped over the fire at night. Toasted marshmallows. Necco wafers and corn nuts.

Sunday School at the chapel across the foot bridge at Lower Twin (to keep up the perfect attendance).
Heaven for a 10-year-old!

OldSarge
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:12:48 PM by OldSarge »
Smokey's watching you!

Fredb

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
Funny story, a few years back while staying at Palisade my nephew who is now fifty years old brought several packages of microwavable popcorn :lol2: he still hasn't lived it down :rotflmao: I guess we can call him a real glamper
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:20:52 PM by Fredb »

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »
My idea of Glamping is my new 5 gal. Stearns Sun shower   :clap:  I am so excited!  Sorry but I can't go more than 3 days without washing my hair .
I have to say one thing I love about camping is when I get up in the morning all I have to do is brush teeth,wash face and apply sunscreen ,put hair in ponytail and I am ready for the day  :woot2: :twothumbs: :woot2: :twothumbs:

1week from today and back I go  :camping:
The Creek is Waiting...

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
Three years ago, we had our sister and brother in law with their son come with us at Rock creek. They had a trailer from adventures in camping set up for them at their camp site. It had shower, lights, full kitchen with propane stove, refrigerator with freezer, and a generator, sleeping for 8 people even though they were only three people. They never came back because they said "The camping was way to rough" !

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
LOL...guess I glam sometimes when I go fishing with my "Coach" backpack...however it does have salmon egg stains on it. 
The creek is waiting...

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »
LOL...guess I glam sometimes when I go fishing with my "Coach" backpack...however it does have salmon egg stains on it.

RockNCreekGirl, maybe "Coach" should come out with a "Pautzke" backpack for us Sierra types.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »
Yeah,

Balls O' Fire color!

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Fredb

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 06:38:16 AM »