Author Topic: Fish cleaning  (Read 13109 times)

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Fish cleaning
« on: July 22, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »
I cant recall if in asked this question before. Can you gut and clean your fish in the creek "mountin man" style ?

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Fish cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
We use creek water, in a bucket, but don't leave any fish residue in the creek.

Bag all of the guts for later disposal.
If you're in the back country, bury them well away from the stream.

OldSarge
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:17:34 PM by OldSarge »
Smokey's watching you!

Stream Fisher

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »
No, it's a big fine if you get caught

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »
toms place has a 'fish cleaning station' outside.. a row of sinks, and also a garbage can right there.
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
Is there anything closer up at rock creek lake for fish cleaning? I just would just hate to just drive all the way down to toms place for fish cleaning and have to drive back up. I think i have heard before that you can clean your fish in the stream due to the fact that you are just returning every think back to nature. Its all bio degradable and its recycling. I'm going to call fish and game this week and the local ranger startion to comfirm.  I have always wondered about this one.

Stream Fisher

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »
I clean the fish on old news paper then roll it up and throw it in the dumster a 5 gallon bucket full of water to rinse fish in and dump dirty water away from stream or lake

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
On the times I have cleaned fish on the Upper Owens, the sea gulls have the guts within about 30 seconds so I don't see what harm is being done....I usually clean mine at Toms Place before driving up the hill...

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »
We always clean our fish in the streem and have disposed of the guts in the stream before.  I am unaware of any PC in California that prevents this by law...except for disposing of mammals and birds in a water way.  In Alaska, it is actually illegal to throw away guts from salmon caught and by law the guts must be returned back to the stream.  It is the whole cycle of life as the guts feed the fry. 
The creek is waiting...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
this is making me remember a song.. with a bit of variance...

'great big gobs of greasy grimy fishy guts'    :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:26:26 AM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Stream Fisher

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
Call Fish and Game to get the answer, I'm sure it's illegal.......

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »
I always clean my fish in camp on top of the bear box over newspaper, then rinse the fish in a bucket of water, throw the scrapes in the dumpster and throw the rinse water on the wild flowers outside of the campsite. Good fertilizer for the wildflowers.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »

I have heard numerous times from others that cleaning fish in the creek or lakes is discouraged by Fish and Game. I have not see this ordinance first hand however. In the past I have cleaned our catch in lakes where I have visibly seen scavengers (seagulls). Once the cleaning starts, those little creatures swarm the area for any scraps left over. I do, however, completely clean the blood and residue from any rocks afterwards. This has brought up an important question that now will trigger some more research on my part. We want to remain completely compliant with the laws and ordinances in order to promote ecological well being. Especially in such a beautiful place!
"Don't get no better than this!"

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:08:29 AM »
In Alaska, it is actually illegal to throw away guts from salmon caught and by law the guts must be returned back to the stream.  It is the whole cycle of life as the guts feed the fry.

We do the same in Montana for life cycle purposes.

Cannot recall the last time I cleaned a fish in CA.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »
we clean ours in the creek but bag the guts and throw them in the trash . Where's Terry when you need him I bet he knows the answer ???
The Creek is Waiting...

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »
Fshrmn. Please let me know what you find. This one has me really confused. I have heard so much on this topic from various sources. Thank you.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
M1,

I basically do what Old Sarge and Stream Fisher do. I use a 5 gallon bucket, filled with creek water, inerts go in a trash bag.

I always take a 5 gallon bucket as it works well as a trash can with tall white kitchen trash bags, and fits neatly in the bear box even with 2 ice chests and other dry goods in there. It's also handy to kill campfires at the end of the night.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
Please donít turn our creek into a sewer.  Put the fish guts in the trash and throw the rinse water away from the creek or lake.  This is basic fishing 101 folks.  :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
I clean em at the creek all the time. Usually thorw the guts in a bush out of the way. Everytime I check they are always gone the next day, some hungry animal is very thankful.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »
LOL...Hasn't everyone seen the Lion King...c'mon...it's the circle of life.  Seriously, in Alaska it is against the law to throw away the guts...they must be placed back in the creek. 
The creek is waiting...

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »
I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws! I want all my trips to be fun and exciting but I don't want my trip spoiled by one bad call and my facing the authorities in the wrong way.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
This from CA DFG web site. Looks to me like it is legal, but we still need to be considerate of the area, and the people nearby.

"Question: Occasionally, I see a few knuckleheads who after a great day of fishing will decide to clean their fish and toss the remains into the lake, thus bringing the sea gulls in. You can probably imagine what the fishing is like for the rest of us then who want to continue fishing. Is there a regulation regarding fish cleaning in lakes and streams? (George L.)

Answer: No. While under some circumstances it may attract birds looking for an easy snack and end up spoiling the fishing experiences of anglers close by, this practice does not violate Fish and Game Code. According to Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Game Warden Nick Buckler, the Fish and Game Code only prohibits the disposal of mammal viscera or carcasses and dead bird carcasses into the stateís waters (FGC section 5652). Depending on the waters, there may be special county park ordinances though requiring all fish cleaning to be done at cleaning stations or away from the fishing waters, but there is no state law requiring this. These answers are based on the Fish and Game Code and California Code of Regulations, Title 14 only. There may be other laws that are applicable."

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:45 AM »
Old Sarge. Is this in the regulation booklet or on their web site? What site is it on? I dont want to regularly clean my fish at a lake or stream but want to know the regulation for reference only. Thank you.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
It's from the web site.
I just googled "california law cleaning fish stream".

I saw one item from "ca.gov" and clicked on it.
It's a Q & A page. 

I believe this one's about ready for bed.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »
Yes! Good night!

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 01:41:17 PM »
In the Sierras, cows poop in the  Upper Owens river, the fence is a joke for keeping the cows out of the river..... I see no harm in cleaning a fish in a moving body of water....It all goes back to nature...Its not going to ruin a body of water with the few fish that may be cleaned in the river creek or stream....We have enough BS rules and regulations that we have to live by...

Besides you have a better chance of Yogi Bear biting you on the butt than having a Warden approach you in the Sierras..... I don't think most people realize how few Wardens are in the Sierras let alone the whole state....There are only 3 Wardens for the entire Eastern Sierras.... My best friend is a retired Warden....and he spent most of his time doing enviromental impact investigations.