Author Topic: Fish cleaning  (Read 12318 times)

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Fish cleaning
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »
Mr 96. Have you seen that show "wild justice" ? This is an awesome show. I cant believe how busy wardens are and how few there are in california!

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
This from CA DFG web site. Looks to me like it is legal, but we still need to be considerate of the area, and the people nearby.

"Question: Occasionally, I see a few knuckleheads who after a great day of fishing will decide to clean their fish and toss the remains into the lake, thus bringing the sea gulls in. You can probably imagine what the fishing is like for the rest of us then who want to continue fishing. Is there a regulation regarding fish cleaning in lakes and streams? (George L.)

Answer: No. While under some circumstances it may attract birds looking for an easy snack and end up spoiling the fishing experiences of anglers close by, this practice does not violate Fish and Game Code. According to Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Game Warden Nick Buckler, the Fish and Game Code only prohibits the disposal of mammal viscera or carcasses and dead bird carcasses into the state’s waters (FGC section 5652). Depending on the waters, there may be special county park ordinances though requiring all fish cleaning to be done at cleaning stations or away from the fishing waters, but there is no state law requiring this. These answers are based on the Fish and Game Code and California Code of Regulations, Title 14 only. There may be other laws that are applicable."

OldSarge

Thanks for that Old Sarge.  I did read most of the Penal Codes for Fish and Game and did not see any mention of it. 

Retired96 is right.  I have hiked many a stream only to find dead dear and bear poop at the rivers edge...you never know what is in the water.
The creek is waiting...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »
not to hijack this post but whawkins is correct on the mud snail.
several websites and dfg have warnings about the snails.
Large number of them seen on waders after a walk in the upper owens.

thanks Old Sarge for your post.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
Just emailed a game warden to find out what he says. But I think Old Sarge is right with what he found.

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »
The Inyo National forest prohibits cleaning fish in Rock Creek Lake. No mention of the creek.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=20344&actid=70

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54:22 PM »
Everyone remember." The laws that are written don't always mean it's the right thing to do". Think about it, wshawkins is right "its up to us to keep the water pure". Sure animals are in it and some fish unfortunately die in it but because our laws say we have right to pollute it does that make sense? How hard is it to draw water from a lake or a creek to rinse your dinner, put the guts in a paper and dispose of it or as Megee dude says" throw it away from your campsite so the creatures can enjoy it. But to put the waste water back in the water is doing what is wrong with the places we live in. Water the wild flowers around your campsite with it ". Great fertilizer". During the drought it can't hurt! Think about it we all come from places that create pollution, we see it in our daily lives, on the freeways, at the beach, in our parks and in the gutters in front of our houses. We come to the Eastern Sierras to get away from it. It's up to us to protect our special place. I think I made my point, and I'm sorry if you feel that I went on a rant, but wshawkins is right, and after reading the post's after his I felt this post was necessary.
Thank's for hearing me out.
Trev Dog

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
Issues like this may seem trivial and even one of those "no brainer" type things but it is helpful to hear everyone's comments on this. I usually clean using a bucket and bag the guts for disposal when catching out of the lake and have a chance to get back to camp but if I'm stream fishing with a creel I will take the guts and set them in a place for animals to get them away from the creek and trail. I have always wondered but just used common sense.

I have never come across fish guts in the creek or lake and have never seen anyone cleaning their fish in the creek or lake so I don't think there is a problem either way.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
Ok guys according to the DFG Warden I spoke to, he said it would be a violation under 5652 of the fish and game code, as litter, or refuse in a stream.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »
I'll go with that. He could have also stretched the code that says you can't chum, or use game fish as bait.

Friends that are in law enforcement have told me that a creative cop can come up with a code to fit just about any situation if he thinks a citizen is acting contrary to good order. Most of them will hold up in court, if he can make a reasonable case.

I also think that if the DFG warden sees me doing my normal thing, he won't have a problem with it.

It's just a nice thing to do, keeping the stream/lake clean.

OldSarge
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:10:54 AM by OldSarge »
Smokey's watching you!