Author Topic: Tim's report  (Read 4289 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Tim's report
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
ok you fish kisser you :) .....   ya gonna share the adventures of your trip with us?   
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Tim's report
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »
LHR
Tim has a great video on FB, maybe he can post it here (or at least a link to it).

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
i saw that, its great:)   

but he needs to share here too!  :)

come on everyone...   all together now...  'Tim, Tim, Tim..  you can do it!!!!'

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »
Well, the trip to Da Creek was a long time coming.  This was a tough year, and we had been looking forward to it for a long time.  We left on July 1 for Long Beach to visit family and hang out a bit.  We had a July 4 BBQ at my folks' place and went to my sister's to watch my brother-in-law participate and WIN TLC's "Craft Wars."  That was pretty fun.  We had our first "campfire" that night in his backyard.  It was time to head to Rock Creek.

The drive through L. A. and the Owens Valley was uneventful until we hit the rest stop between Independence and Big Pine and noticed a smoke plume in the distance.  As we approached it, the fire appeared to grow.  It turned out to be the "Fish Fire" that had started only an hour before and was completely out of control.  We were one of the last cars to get through heading in either direction.  They closed 395 shortly after we passed, and reopened it later that evening.  The fire crews did a tremendous job.  Aerial support helped get the fire in control.  Without it (I think they were flying 4 airplanes) the fire would have moved dangerously close to Big Pine quickly.  The following day there was no sign of smoke in the valley.  I was really surprised by that.

We hit Vons and Josephs Market in Bishop before heading up the hill.  FYI...Josephs is where Sue gets a lot of the fruit for her pies...hint, hint...:pie:

We were up the hill and into Cabin #2 at RCLR early in the afternoon ready for a week at Da Creek...fishing, hiking, relaxing, family, friends...it was all there.  Despite my wife's state she still wanted to hike, so we did a few hikes around the lake during the week, one up to Marsh Lake via the less-used trail on the east side of the creek, and to The Pond upstream from the Lodge.  FYI, I suggest staying on the main trail to LLV when your wife's "with child" and your hauling 4 and 7 year old girls.  The boulders on the east side of Mack Lake are a pain.  Everyone eventually made it, we crossed the creek at the inlet of Mack Lake and followed the creek to Marsh Lake where we hung out a while.  I also took my oldest daughter on a hike that few know about...it eventually hits the trail that descends down to the meadow above the lake and we scrambled down the slope to the inlet of the lake.  She's a trooper.  Her goal is to climb Lassen Peak next week during our trip there.

Fishing was also on the agenda.  Compared to previous years, it wasn't nearly as good.  In 6-7 hours of fishing for the trip we might have caught a total of 25 fish.  We normally catch significantly more.  The folks at the resort said it had slowed down a lot compared to 3 weeks prior.  Oh well...we never got skunked and my little one caught her first ever fish.  The girls really enjoyed their boat rides, and we always were out in the evening to catch the alpenglow on the peaks.  Being on the lake in the evening like that is just about my favorite thing to do on the earth.  I'd prefer to do it 70 days out of the year instead of 3, but...

After fishing with the girls on Saturday evening I rushed down to the Club...and was LATE.  Got to hang with Retired, BStolton, Marine One, Scout, Topwater, Salim, Carol, MR K, hung out at Stacey cabin a bit that evening too...missed a few that left early, but went and found Packer the next day.  I wish I had gone down earlier, but I couldn't say NO to fishing with my girls.  Hung w/ Terry, Salim and Carol around the fire for quite a while.  Thanks to all of you for the card...I was speechless...you guys are GREAT...

The next day we went down to my folks' campsite in Big Meadow #2 for a last night campfire and to do a little creek fishing...skunked.  My little one caught a yellow jacket though...her first sting.  That added some excitement to our last full day there.  The guy in site #1 brought over some Sting Eze to go w/ what we were already putting on her sting...really nice guy...gotta love CREEKERS!!  We roasted some marshmallows, sat around the fire, and took in our last night in Rock Creek for this year.

We left the next day for Reno and made it home the following day...a long drive with rain and more forest fire in Trinity County.  It was overall a great trip.  I think the video captures it well.  I hope you enjoy it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RIV_Qe72JGg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RIV_Qe72JGg</a>
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:16:48 PM by Creek Dude »
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

2dtrails

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »
Great video Tim, makes me wanna pack up the kids and leave RIGHT NOW!

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
Awesome video...reminds me of my early days at the creek.  But in my picures I am covered in dirt!  I will have to find some of those old pics and post them.
The creek is waiting...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
I just LOVE those purple hats!!!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
Awesome video Tim !!!

What a great family experience.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
Wife look ready to go!!!  Great video time.  What program did you use to create?
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »
I used IMovie to make it...Youtube kinda screwed it up...made it kinda "jumpy."  I'm trying to fix that.

And regarding the wife...she's still got THREE months to go!  She's gonna be huge.  She's already to have the little monkey outta there...
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »
Thanks for the video, Tim.  Nicely put together and definitely makes for a wonderful family keepsake.  I agree with LHR - great purple hats!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »
Great video Tim, maybe the best I have seen on this board.  Sure took me back when my girls were younger (their in their 20's now).  Thanks for putting it together!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »
Nicely done!