Author Topic: Campgrounds  (Read 3964 times)

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Campgrounds
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
Hey All,

Thinking about trying East Fork this year.  Any suggestions on campsite #'s?  We would prefer something by the creek.  Need 2 spots for our group.  Thanks for any feedback.

Tight Lines..........

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Campgrounds
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:50:32 PM »
if you want spots by the creek you are prolly too late,  most of them are taken up 6 months in advance.  There are many other nice sites in the campground not on the creek which are not reservable.  Depends on when you will be arriving.  Sunday afternoon,  for example,  is a good time to snag some spots as people pull out to go home.  Thursday or Friday evening,  forget it.  When will you be arriving?
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »
The following link will show you each camp site at East Fork: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKaCE-utqs. Although most of the shots give you a good look at the campsite, some only show you the parking space and you can't really tell what the actual camping site looks like.

My favorite reservable sites next to the water are 108, 110, 111 and 112. Other non reservable sites as Topwater Terry said will be the luck of the draw depending on when you get there and when someone else is leaving.

Good luck!
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
There is No bad creekside site in Eastfork but everyone is correct in saying Good Luck because the book up fast . If you look at the site map you want to stay away from the upper sites on the upper road . If you can't get a creeksite here are some good off creek #47,48,49,50,53,54,44,45,103,120,122   Good Luck !  Eastfork is my Favorite  :)
The Creek is Waiting...

Sierraslam

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:30:07 AM »
First come, first served at Iris Meadow?

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
First come, first served at Iris Meadow?

Yep. No reservations can be made at Iris Meadows. First come first served. Most sites are great (except the overflow area across from the meadow), and the fishing is great there! It has what I think are the most beautiful parts of the creek in the canyon with deep fishing holes and many shady areas. Since there are not that many camping sites there aren't as many people fishing there. If you can't get a camping spot @ Iris Meadows I'd recommend that you come back after you settle somewhere else in the canyon - park outside the campground and walk in to do some fishing. Bring a camera  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:53:39 PM by Claremont Dude »
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
Coming up Sunday - Wednesday. Normally stay at Big Meadow or on the lake sites at Rock Creek. Thanks for the tips on site numbers. Guess we will have to wait and see what's open.  Thanks again.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »
That is excellent timing aquaman.  If you get there early just hang out and fish or eat pie till early afternoon and some prime spots should be opening up by then!!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

USCJosh

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
I have stayed at East Fork, Iris Meadow, and French camp.... Can a truck and Trailer (33') make a turn in Big Meadow?  I remember there is not a loop to exit like Iris Meadow.

Thanks.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »
Josh.......I seriously doubt it.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors