Author Topic: Senate Bill called "threat" to California hatcheries  (Read 4067 times)

johnjcampnfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Senate Bill called "threat" to California hatcheries
« on: August 01, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
I didn't notice any posts on this subject yet, but it seemed rather threatening to future stocking programs. 
http://www.sierrawave.net/13434/senate-bill-called-threat/

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Senate Bill called "threat" to California hatcheries
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »
Seems to me that not only would this adversely affect the local tourist trade, but would also reduce the number of people purchasing fishing licenses which in turn would reduce the money available for the wild and native trout program. Keep us posted johnjcampnfish.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:03:10 AM »
If passed it would surely have a negative impact on the tourist in the Eastern Sierras. Who wants to drive up there if there are very few fish to catch.....

Just another lame brain idea from some Jackwagon in Sacramento who wouldn't know a fishing pole from a broomstick....

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
It's also pushed by wacko environmentalists who have substituted love of "mother" earth for love of God.

Preservation of bugs and weeds is more important than the needs of people.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
That's it...I'm going to start wearing my "I see Stupid People" T-shirt again.  What are they thinking?
The creek is waiting...

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
“In his letter, Cogdill says, ‘Fishing license owners pay for their licenses and deserve positive fishing experiences. These positive experiences,’ he said, ‘cannot be insured only for the wealthy engaging in fly fishing of the state’s native trout.”

Well, I fly fish and I’m definitely not wealthy :lol2:

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 06:39:49 AM »
Anyone ever gutted a chub?  One fellow caught one out of Grant Lake several years back and I had the awesome pleasure of watching him at the gut station at SLR telling his buddies that he was going to eat a brown trout that night.  Thing stunk like a cesspool. 

Oh, should have reported him, but was on the ground rolling.

This bill seems to be about restoring native conditions and favoring the C & R idea of preserving it once established.  It seemingly will ruin the vacationer's catch and eat sustained by the planting of non-native species in the Eastern Sierra, i.e. leaving you a chub, which is still protected.  The comment section following the post in the Sierra Wave is highly informative, with most posts being of good caliber, albeit a soapbox to slam politics a bit.  I, for one, did not realize that CalTrout was backing this new bill.  Well, heck, if it weren't for johnjcampnfish starting this thread, I would have been more in the dark than I usually am. 

Would it destroy local economies dependent on tourism?  Kind of like taking a block of concrete out of the middle of the Hoover Dam.

Excellent topic, John.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

davidnegreteg

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »
here is the link to the bill that is being talked about, State Senator Fran Pavely is authoring this...
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120SB1148&search_keywords=

johnjcampnfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 07:20:01 AM »
It was reported in the Sierra Wave last week that deformed fish were stocked in Gull lake.  DFG is stating that the deformities are becoming more common because of the "triploid process" that sterilizes the fish so that they won't weaken the native strains of trout.  I don't know.  The more I learn about this direction that DFG is going in, the less confident I become in their ability to do the right thing.
http://www.sierrawave.net/13654/deformed-fish-concern/

lewisclan

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »

Wow

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
Even the seagulls would be wary of snacking on those fish.  Interesting comment section in the Sierra Wave after that article (thanks jjcampnfish).
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:20:45 AM »
Holy Crap!

If I eat one of those, will I grow to look like Quasimodo? (Any more than I already do?)
That scares me.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!