Author Topic: East side - 7/28 - 8/4 - A few questions....  (Read 5029 times)

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
East side - 7/28 - 8/4 - A few questions....
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:18:57 AM »
Hey guys, I've been back a week now but I don't have any pictures to post up yet.  I'll probably do a full trip report in the near future, so I'll just do highlights for now.

-Stayed in Lee Vining campground in a very nice site.  It was the only nice campsite in the entire campground, but we got it.  Very central to everywhere we like to go.  Will definitely try and nab this site in the future when we go up there.

-Did a LOT of 4 wheeling.  Some extremely nasty roads in my stock Frontier Pro-4x, and it did really well.  Banged up the hard plastic mudflap on the front passenger side tire, but I plan to remove these eventually anyway.  I noticed a problem with my new truck, though.  In 4 wheel low, while in 2nd gear, when I engage the break and let go, the gear won't reengage right away and I freewheel down the hill at full speed for several seconds before the gear kicks back in.  Not good!  At one point, my entire transmission went out and I had to turn on the "hill assist" feature to keep me from gaining too much speed going downhill.  When I got down the hill, I turned off the truck and turned it back on, and suddenly it worked again.  Not sure what the problem is, but I hope it's covered under warranty. 

- Fishing was poor this year.  None of us had much luck fishing the main lakes, so we hit the backcountry lakes pretty heavily.  Caught some nice goldens and brookies in a few places we haven't tried before.  I'm thinking that the lower snowfall this year caused the lake temperatures to be higher, which causes the fish to not be as active.  Any truth to this theory?  Anybody else notice the fishing wasn't nearly as good this year as it normally is? 

- I'm officially sold on fly/bubble fishing.  I caught a lot of natural fish using this method, and I lost wayyyy more than I caught.  My problem is that I'm used to bait fishing.  When I get a bite, the fish will usually keep biting which gives me ample opportunity to set the hook.  With flies, I get one shot at it, so I have to stay ready.  I would get a bite almost every cast, but I'd probably only land 1 fish for every 4 fish who bit the fly and got away.  Hopefully this will improve with more experience. 

- I tried using my fly rod in a few streams, but I didn't have any luck.  I couldn't really see the fly, and I realized that I'm tired of not feeling the bite.  Is there any way I can just attach my fly reel to my regular fishing rod and use it that way?  I won't need to cast very far, since I'm fishing these small streams and allowing the fly to drift.  If not, does fly/bubble work in streams? 

- No luck with lures.  Not even a bite.  We went fishing with my dad's friend who I consider to be an expert Sierra fishermen, and he had very little luck with lures in the main lakes.  I think this was just a symptom of the poor fishing conditions in the areas we went to this year. 

- I realize that I need to find a way to be like John Barbier.  I don't know if I have it in me to be a teacher, and based on my research, the "3 months" that teachers get is more of a myth than reality these days.  They have so many meetings and preparation to go through in the Summer, that they would be lucky to have a 2 week window in there to go on vacation.  I need to think of a work arrangement that will allow me to have 2 months off unpaid.  Maybe I can work 2 jobs and simply work more hours during the rest of the year.  Just an idea I'm kicking around.  This 1-2 weeks of vacation time I have simply isn't cutting it.  I want to spend more time in the Sierras and take trips I would not normally be able to take.  Any suggestions?

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: East side - 7/28 - 8/4 - A few questions....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
Thank you for the QUICK update Brewskier. I also fished that same area on my trip last month. I fished Ellery lake, Saddlebag lake, and the stream at Tioga pass lodge. My luck was not with me this year in that area. Lures and bait were my main attack in these places. There was one guy at Saddlebag lake who only used Fly and Bubble and he did very very well.  Although fishing was not as good as i liked we still enjoyed ourself and had a very good time with the sights. Here is my count for that area on a one day fishing expedition. Saddlebag lake =6 fish. Ellery lake =0. Tioga pass stream =0. Take into account that saddlebag lake had been partially drained by Edison to place a plastic barrier on the dam to repair it and the water was very low at saddle bag lake and also the stream at tioga pass lodge was extremely low due to this fact.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »
Brewskier, with the warm water temps the fish have gone deep.  Lures would have to be count down into deeper parts of the lakes to find them is my guess.  Flies early morning before the sun crests would have probably worked, IMO, and probably in the dusk hours, too.  I read a few other reports that fishing has slowed down considerably.

Still you got in a good trip, sounds like.  4 x 4'ing had to be a blast, but that free wheeling sure might not be.  Hope you get that fixed.

I think Topwater would recommend just staying with it and experience will tell you when you have a hit on the fly.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
When I fish at a lake or stream where I’m not sure what works, I like to fish two flies at the same time.  The two fly rig offers twice the meal and usually twice the menu to better attract fish.  When I use this method, it quickly helps me narrow what is the “hot fly”.  With two flies, one fly can perform as an attractor.

I tried them both ways but prefer the trailer as the heavier of the two flies during the warmer months.  During the heat of the day, add a split shot to get to the flies down to the proper water depth.  It will take some experimentation to get the appropriate level.  I catch fish all day with flies; I just bring the fly down to where the trout are.  They can’t help but bite, it’s their instinct.

One fish per four bites not great but at least you’re getting a lot of action.  You may need to set the hook quicker or the fish will just spit the fly out.  I have got a lot of “bumps” this year, where they don’t commit 100%.  You can hook a lot of these fish if you’re on your game.  Experience will improve your hook-ups over time.

As for fishing this year, it’s been good for me.  The golden lakes I fished have been only average with only catching two per lake, but the drive-to lakes and the other back country lakes have been off the wall!  I was up the same week you were with my extended family.  If you saw a fisherman with two golden retrievers at Saddlebag Lake that was probably me!

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
Happy dogs!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
Hey Brewskier

Thanks for the report, sorry the fishing wasn`t as good as usual. Sounds like you still had a good time and still got into some backcountry action. looking forward to your pics. Fly and bubble is something I need to put more effort into, but I am so hooked on power worms.
Where did you go 4x4ing ?  I hope to explore some of the 4x4 trails the sierras have, once I get my fishing truck back up and running.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
fly and bubble can be a lot of fun.
thanks for the update.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
hawkins I'm surprised by your post.   My Dad talked to some of the Saddlebag lake staff, and they admitted that they "haven't stocked the lake in a long time".  I guess you are just good at what you do. 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
That may explain why most fish were so large this year is they were mostly all leftovers from the prior season!

A note on John Barbier.  The resort has only seen him once this year.  Usually he's there most of the time. 

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:02 AM »
That may explain why most fish were so large this year is they were mostly all leftovers from the prior season!

A note on John Barbier.  The resort has only seen him once this year.  Usually he's there most of the time.

Maybe he had the same bad luck and went elsewhere?  A non-stocked lake might do that.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »
Brewskier-no doubt that Art is right,  don't give up on the flyrod.  I am not sure what you are doing wrong.  Are you fishing crystal clear community holes in campgrounds?  If so,  consider getting away from the crowds and into some brushier areas where people don't go.  Fishing has been weird this year.  In July I fished an area that has always produced for me...and I caught nothing.  I moved downstream and starting catching fish.  Keep at it.  As for seeing the fly,  I am not sure why you are having a problem with that.  A one in four hookup ratio on the fly and bubble aint great either,  it should be at least 50-75% hookups.  Maybe a guide or mentor could help you out.  Keep at it,  you will always catch more fish with flies,  and it is a lot funner...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
sounds like fun times Brewskier!    you sure got a variety of different things into your trip.  too much fun!  well maybe except for no control on your truck.. that doesn't sound like fun at the time!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »
Also,  if you can't feel the bite with a flyrod,  or see the fly,  it won't get any better with a spinning rod.  Flyrods are way more sensitive,  and using a spinning rod will not suddenly make the fly more visible to you.  As I said before,  get out there with someone who really knows what they are doing so they can show you the ropes,  once you get the hang of flyfishing you will wonder why you didn't convert to fly tackle sooner.
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »
Brewskier, TT is right. When anyone of us started fishing we struggled unless they were fortunate enough to have someone like Hawk working with us, but through time we evolve, and learn from our failures and it gets easier. Try learning to ride a wave catching it and then standing up and riding it. Fly fishing is the real art of fishing, it takes patience, and commitment. If your next few trips are learning experiences without success remember that's not the only reason to come and visit the beauty of the outdoors. If you commit you will look back down the line and realize that you have truly discovered the art of fishing. Take the step outside your comfort zone and go to the next level! Catching a native fish instead of a stalker is much more rewarding and they taste better.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Try using a fly with a "parachute" so you can see the fly easier.  You can even get parachutes in bright colors too.  No excuses not seeing one of those.

John