Author Topic: Dog Days of Summer  (Read 8399 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Dog Days of Summer
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
Dog Days of Summer

I just recently spent a week in the Eastern Sierra for our annual family reunion.  We get together every year somewhere in the Eastern Sierra and this year we stayed in Mammoth lakes in the group campground at Shady Rest.  Great scenery and weather, with a few thundershowers in the afternoon, which is normal for this time of year.  Not a lot of fishing as I had to do the family thing, but did take the gang to some of the mines in the area, which was a big hit with my young nieces and nephews!  When our large group did fish, I mostly just helped out the youngster’s as there lines were tangled more in the trees and bushes than catching fish out in the lakes and streams.  As so called “expert” fisherman of our extended family, I’m expected to show and teach the youngsters how to fish.  But it’s gratifying work, especially when one of them gets hooked of fishing!  Put another notch on my fishing pole!

Finally got my chance one warm day when everybody wanted to go to town to shop, tour the bike park or see the blues festival.  I love beer, but I love fishing more so I volunteered to take care and watch our dogs while everyone went downtown.  When they all left, we made my escape!

My dogs are both golden retrievers and love the water, so had to pick a lake where I can get away from other fishermen and let them do their thing.   I brought my fishing pole just in case they tired and needed a snap and let me fish some.  With the fishing pole and with two excited dogs, it made getting around challenging. 

The large male, "Dylan" is on the left and "Francine" is on the right.  Dogs are waiting quietly near the dock for the water taxi to arrive.

Saddlebag Lake was our destination as I have friends there and it’s a dog friendly resort.  I loaded the dogs on the water taxi and off we went with both dogs heads pointed into the wind as if they were riding in my truck with the windows open.

Water taxi at the Saddlebag Lake Resort

Back side of Saddlebag Lake is an excellent place to take dogs that love to swim, play and not bother other fishermen, just stay away from the inlet as that’s always a very popular spot.  I found a secluded spot and let them go!  As you can see, they had a blast.

Lets swim!

The male dog just loves to swim

Male dog falling asleep after two hour swim. 

After about two hours, they started slowing down enough where I can cast my bubble and fly in the lake.  Fishing turned out to be excellent, with over a dozen trout caught in less than three hours fishing.  Fish were good size, where even the stockers were coming in at 16-18”.  Also caught two large alpers that went up to 4 lbs.  Richard (the owner) told me they had two alper fish plantings this season so far this summer!  And kind of hinted where I can to catch some!  Good to have friends in high places!

The male dog inspecting my catch

Female thinks it lunch time!

Saddlebag Lake Shots

Kept a couple of the fish for dinner that night, released the rest and we went back on the water taxi to my truck.  Drove back to our campground and was hoping they would have brought back some beers for me.  The wife noticed the dogs were still somewhat wet and gave me the eye!  Darn, no beer tonight!

Shared some of the fish with my canine friends that night at camp and soon after dinner they were sleeping like logs!  The "dog days" of summer can be fun!

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Days of Summer
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
wshawkins, guess you had to trade the beer for your dogs' love of the water.  Beer is any day, but for them that was so special.  Makes me want to jump in the water with them!

Thanks for the pics and report.  Glad you had a day off for yourself amid all the family, which with nieces and nephews must have been a blast.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
Excellent way to spend the afternoon for sure!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:39:34 AM »
Fish never look big in my pictures, so I did take one to measure.  So you see why I had a hard time with 2lb test line bringing these fat trout in with two excited not helping any!   :doglick:

Close to 20" I would guess if you look at my scale on the creel
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
Good report and nice dog pics, Thanks  :clap:

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
If these are " DOG DAYS OF SUMMER", then this entire week because of the terribly hot weather, there has been a "GREAT DANE" sitting on my front porch!

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »
Good looking dogs, and a very nice bow!

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 12:08:39 AM »
As usual, awsome contribution wshawkins our dogs are family members.They bring love  and loyalty into the family and to involve them in family outings is priceless both for them and the family. Great job passing the love of the outdoors and the art of fishing to the kids! Have you ever thought about doing your reunion at the group campground at Rock Creek Lake.  :pie2: would be in your backyard!
Too bad about the beer!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:11:55 AM »
Are group is too big for Rock Creek Group campground.  There were 48 family members that showed up this year and Palisade Campground is limited to 25 max.  We have used them in the past when the family was smaller.

I did get my beer when we headed to the June Loop and in the Village they were having a blues festival that weekend.  No pie in sight! :pie2:

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
Looks like a fun getaway Hawkins. You mentioned using a bubble setup;which flies can you recommend for that lake?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:11:55 AM »
If get there in the early morning, I like using dry flies. My favorite is the fly Elk Hair Caddis (#12-16), but Adams, Black Gnat, Hares Ear or Mosquito works fine.  Hint…Try something with a red in it or with a red tail.  Lots of fun fishing with dries.

After 10 am I go to the Wooly Bugger or Matuka (#6-10) weighted down with a split-shot.  Hint…The more flash the better.  Olive, black, brown, even purple colors was working!

Even with my two dogs swimming in front of me, the fish were still biting.  The dogs had a blast!  Glad I was able to take them!

Picture of some of the fish.  The fish on the bottom is 16".  The alpers were big this trip!  Some nice tasting salmon colored meat!