Author Topic: Rock Creek Questions  (Read 2605 times)

sierracamper

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Questions
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:27:50 AM »
Gonna be heading up to East Fork the week after Labor Day. Couple questions... 1) how are the mosquitos? 2) How is the water level of streams running through campground? 3) How has fishing been? 4) minus thunderstorms what has the temps been?

Thanks

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
Hello Sierracamper, here are your answers...

1 - Not too bad, still a few around but not many

2 - Very low, especiallly in areas where the stream is normally low anyway. I noticed an increase in water flow in the streams after a few of the thunderstaorms. There are some deep areas in East Fork so you should be able to find some nice pools still.

3 - Fishing has been good some days and bad others.  Bring a variety of baits and see what works. 

4 - There is some weather info on the first page if you want more detailed weather.  It has been unusually warm at the creek with high's in the upper 70"s to low 80's...and that would be for East Fork!  The temps down at Tom's Place have been in the 80's.  Yes, there have been some increased thunderstorms due to the hot weather but these vary.  On days when the rain comes, the weather cools down to the 60's which is a nice break from the heat.

Have fun at the creek!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:38:49 PM by RockNCreekGirl »
The creek is waiting...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
I stopped coming up on Labor Day a couple of years ago, but the years that I did come up we always arrived on Thursday morning and never had a problem getting a good site at Upper Pine Grove. Come noon Friday everything was filled. I always broke camp on Tuesday morning because the drive back on Monday would ruin the vacation. The campers that come up on the Holidays are different they seam to bring the reason that they got away with them with out realizing it. Pick a different time or alter your arrival and departure to make your time in the Canyon more pleasureable.
Have fun and remember to have some  :pie2: but don't go after them after 11am. put them in the cooler and enjoy :pie2: around the campfire.
Have a great trip!

sierracamper

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »
RockNCreek Girl thanks for the info. Cant wait to get up there.

Trev were coming up Monday afternoon (labor day) and staying till thursday hoping the crowds will be gone after the weekend. Either way cant wait, And yes had the pie for the first time this year and by far the best will be sure to get some Thanks

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »
There should be some nice sites open by noon. I recommend that you check out the creek side sites at East Fork and Big Meadow, also go to Upper Pine Grove as there are some very nice sites there and the sites are well separated. if a site you like is still occupied look on the reservation posting at the front of the site to see if the campers are leaving that day. You Will definitely get a good site then. Have fun!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
Yeah,  arriving after Labor day would be a good thing,  crowds will be gone and you should just about have the place to yourself. By the way,  you asked what the temps have been like,  what they are like now means nothing on Labor day,  or even tomorrow.  Just be ready for anything,  it might be sunny and 75,  or 20 and snowing.  Late summer-early fall weather,  just like the rest of the year,  can bring a lot of surprises...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...