Author Topic: Mammoth - Edison Lake - to LLV  (Read 15212 times)

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Mammoth - Edison Lake - to LLV
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »
It has taken a while to get around to writing this report so it is a couple weeks late. We started out on Saturday in Mammoth on the Duck Pass trail headed for Edison Lake on the west side. The first day we hike to Duck Lake and camped near the outlet.
I think this is Skelton Lake one of several lakes on the way up to the pass.

Duck Lake

Our camp below the outlet of Duck Lake.

Lots of evidence of the glaciers around camp.

Sunday morning we broke camp and started for Purple Lake and then Lake Virginia to spend our second night. I didnít fish while we were at Duck Lake but I was really looking forward to some of the gloldens in Lake Virginia.

From the trail on the way to Purple Lake.

Some of the blowdown around Purple Lake.

We had our lunch here at Purple Lake.

The overcast skies were making for great pictures but we finally paid the price when we got to Lake Virginia. Just as we reached the lake the clouds opened up and it started to pour down. About the time we all got under some trees it turned to great big hail that really stung when you got hit. It turned the ground white but I didnít take a picture until later after we got the tent set up and the hail had mostly melted.

We caught plenty of nice golden hybrids at Lake Virginia.

I also got some great pictures.

Monday the plan was to hike to Tully Hole for lunch and then up the mountain towards Silver Pass and camp at one of the Indian named lakes for the night. As it turned out we went over Silver Pass and camped at Silver Lake Monday night.

On the way to Tully Hole.

Tully Hole is the meadow and creek in the bottom of the canyon below Debbie.

Our group Vince, Tania, Marshal, Debbie, and I on the Tully Hole footbridge.

A couple of the lakes we walked by climbing to Silver Pass.
Squaw Lake

Chief Lake

Warrior Lake

Looking north from Silver Pass towards Mammoth.

Looking south from Silver Pass.

Our camp at Silver Lake and some pics from around camp.

Tuesday we hiked down to Edison Lake and caught the ferry to Vermillion Valley Resort. It was great to take a shower, prime rib dinner, and chicken fried steak and eggs for breakfast. Wednesday morning the ferry took us back to the trail and we headed for the Mono Creek trail.

Another blow down along the trail.

Wednesday night we camped at the trail junction for Second Recess. The fishing was completely off the chain for little brookies and golden Hybrids.

Thursday we hiked up the Mono Creek trail to Fourth Recess Lake and spent two nights resting up and enjoying life in general. Again the fishing was great for stunted little brookies and rainbows.
Not a bad view from Debbie and my tent.

Fourth Recess Lake

Saturday morning we packed up and started for Mono Pass earlier than usual hoping to beat the heat. A couple of hours later we were on top of Mono Pass, elevation 12,035ft.

From the pass it was all downhill through the Little Lakes Valley to Mosquito Flats and the car we had placed there the week before. The girls and I took a nap while Vince and Marshal drove to Mammoth to P/U my Sequoia.

It was another great trip, 8 days, almost 50mls, with some great friends that I will never forget. We took it pretty easy but it still seemed to kick my butt. I was really out of shape for our trip this year. Iím going to have to do some exercising before we go next year.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:44:24 AM by Gary C. »

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Mammoth - Edison Lake - to LLV
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »
wow gary...    just wow....      ok,   add incredible,  just incredible...     

fantabulous photos....   this report has left me speechless.

wow, incredible, fantabulous!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »
I second that LHR

very nice report Gary

Fredb

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
What an awesome trip and report, I'll bet that prime rib didn't get cold. Thanks Gary

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Looks like it was a fun trip. Great pics thanks.  :clap:

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »
Wow, Gary, nothing short of a great trip report and pictures.  You really took some beautiful shots that somehow need to end up as my screensavers.  Fantastic!  Thanks for the effort of putting it together for our reading and enjoyment.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
Really nice trip report and pictures Gary.  I donít blame you for not fishing Duck Lake. My mind would have been on all the Golden Trout Lakes you would be passing by.  Did you fish Silver Pass Lake?  I did well there last time out and good size.  Thought for a moment you were doing the JMT until you got off at Mono Creek up to Pioneer Basin.  Looks like everyone had a good time.  Thanks!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »
We fished Silver Pass Lake the evening that we got there and again the next morning without a strike or even seeing a rise. There were two other guys fishing it when we got there and one of them thought they might have had one hit.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
Beautiful! Some great shot of some spectacular scenery.
I especially like the one of the glacial striation. Very cool.

Seeing this makes me want to try to pack in again while I'm still able.

Good AAR.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »
great report Gary!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
Awesome!!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Wow, that's incredible.  I've always wanted to take this trip, but I don't see myself getting enough time to do it.  Maybe when I get a new job.

Would it be easier to go from LLV to Edison, then up to Mammoth?  I know you're higher up at LLV so it seems like there would be more downhill. 

At first I was planning to do a one way trip from LLV to Edison, but the whole "drive back" plan wouldn't really work, considering it's over 200 miles to connect two lakes that are only about 15 miles apart.  Isn't that crazy?

How were the crowds?  I'm becoming such a pessimist with the Sierras.  It seems like, no matter where I go, no matter how remote, there's a huge crowd already there.  I recently came back from Laurel Lakes and I couldn't believe how many people took that insanely tough road getting in. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:09:14 AM by Brewskier »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »
Brewskier,
I don't think that it really matters too much which direction you go as far as elevation gain/loss goes. It always seems to me like it was all uphill at the end of the day. Actually the climb up Mono canyon wasn't that bad but we broke it up into three segments and that always helps. There was one section comming down from Silver Pass Lake that I would dread and try to avoid in the heat of the day if I were hiking south to north. It was about 1.5mls south of Silver Pass Lake and very steep with terrible steps. Debbie being the shortest in our group would have to sit down on some of them and ease herself onto the next level.
We encountered a lot of dayhikers between Lake Mary and Duck Lake but then it was clear to the JMT. Of course the JMT had a lot of folks on the trail and at Silver Pass Lake, VVR was a zoo but sooo worth it. Once on the Mono Creek trail we didn't see hardly anyone until we got up to the pass and from there down to Mosquito Flats was crazy again.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »
Thanks for the report Gary. Looks like a great trip. When we were camped at Purple Lake, took a day hike to Lake Virginia and found some nice goldens.  Great spot. There are some very big rainbows near the outlet of Duck Lake. Love that blue water, reminds me of the old days when there were some albacore off shore. That first pic looks like Skelton Lake.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
Great report Gary, outstanding pics. Thanks for contributions.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
bj is right, that first picture is Skelton Lake.  You must have been really hiking fast if you missed Arrowhead Lake!  I can tell that bj has fished Duck Lake as he knows where the Bows lie.  I followed the outlet creek down for a mile and still were catching bows out of the creek.  All I ever catch out of Duck lake is Brooks, but they are good size! 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »
Thanks guys, I corrected the first lake to Skelton. I couldn't remember which lakes I had taken pictures of that first couple of miles, that is why I wrote that I wasn't sure.

Sierraslam

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »
What an awesome trip! I would love to do a trip like that! You hit a lot of places I've been wanting to get to. Great work to you and everyone on your group. When you camped at 4th Recess Lake, did you follow Golden Creek up to Golden Lake? You were so close, but I know it was the end of a long haul. Thanks for all the great pictures!

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 11:49:31 AM »
We didn't go there but I kept looking over that direction and wondering if we should have. For the most part we were in more a food and shower mode at that point though.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
Always thought the goldens in Lake Virginia were more pure!  It looks like maybe some bows have interbreed with the goldens in that lake somehow.  The hybrids are still pretty.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »
I don't remember who it was that posted about the tree carvings last year but hiking up the Mono Creek trail I noticed there were a lot of them along the trail. Nothing from the 1800's but I was sure looking for something that was. There were a lot of aspen stands along the canyon with some very old and large trees. it seemed like the perfect place to search if a person had the time and was willing. I don't know why because nothing I saw was all that old but I took a lot of pictures of them. Here are just a few.

Looks like 1912 to me?

1933 or 35?

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
Looks like pure graffitti to me. Don't get the point of harming a defenseless tree. ?  :catfight:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
The one from 1912 would be from the John Muir era.  How would backpacking be like then?  No Basque sheepherders carvings, just backpackers who was bored to tears.

I did a small piece on the Basque sheepherders and tree carving a few years back.  Here it is:

The first Basque sheepherders in Eastern Sierra Nevada came around for the gold rush in the mid-1800s.  The Basque sheepherders probably started using the meadows of Rock Creek around 1880ís according to the tree carvings I found.  They call these tree carvings ďArborglyphsĒ and are prized and cherished by archeologists and historians.

The most common carvings are found on aspen trees and are very numerous.  But the average life span of an aspen tree is about 100 years, so were losing old Arborglyphs every year.  Rarer is a carving on lodgepole trees, which is found in Rock Creek Canyon area.

The negative part to sheep herding was when the meadows were wet, the sheep did quite a bit of damage to that area.  Same is true with cattle, can be a big impact on creeks and meadows and the fish that live in the creeks.  Here is a couple of Arborglyphs from Rock Creek Canyon.  There are many more to discover.

Arborglyph dated 1894 - Rock Creek Canyon

Arborglyph from the 1890ís - Rock Creek Canyon

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »
I probably saw what you wrote before and it just seems like it was last year to me. Thanks for re-posting your pictures, those would be cool to find but I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
wshawkinns, Very interesting and I guess the one from 1894 is not an aspen tree or you took the picture in 1994 ? If it's a lodgepole tree do you know if they live longer?