Author Topic: Any fly rods sensitive enough to let me "feel" the bite?  (Read 6927 times)

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Any fly rods sensitive enough to let me "feel" the bite?
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »
I know, I know, another thread where I complain about fly fishing.   :lol2:

I'm completely sold on the merits of fishing with flies.  They worked extremely well this past trip, even though I used the good old fly+bobber technique.  I think the issue is that I just like my regular ultralight graphite rods so much.  I can feel the tiniest nibbles.  With the fly rod, I have to fish by sight, and that's not nearly as much fun for me.  Half the time I can't even see the fly, and if I'm trying to fish a nymph, I gotta use a strike indicator or something similar. 

Are there any fly rods that are sensitive enough to let me feel the bite?  I have a 4wt, but I can't feel much of anything unless a big fish happens to bite.  I was considering the possibility of putting my fly reel on my regular rod, but I think the eyelets are too small for that to work. 

What I'd really want is a short length (no longer than 6.5-7ft) extremely sensitive fly rod.  Do they even make these, or am I just imagining things?

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Any fly rods sensitive enough to let me "feel" the bite?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
Brewskier

two weeks ago on the Yellowstone river near Livingston MT, I hooked a white fish on a 5wt rod.  The fish was 12", when it hit, the strike indicator went down (small 1/2" bubble) and there was a definite tug on the line and rod.

six weeks ago with TT on the west fork with my 3wt, the same thing happened with those very small fish we catch on that creek.  again the strike indicator went down and a slight tug on the line.

It was cool to feel them, but I must admit I am not there with the nymphs yet.  I know have a 2wt for horseshoe meadows and the west fork.  Cannot wait to try it out. :)

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
Brewskier

two weeks ago on the Yellowstone river near Livingston MT, I hooked a white fish on a 5wt rod.  The fish was 12", when it hit, the strike indicator went down (small 1/2" bubble) and there was a definite tug on the line and rod.

six weeks ago with TT on the west fork with my 3wt, the same thing happened with those very small fish we catch on that creek.  again the strike indicator went down and a slight tug on the line.

It was cool to feel them, but I must admit I am not there with the nymphs yet.  I know have a 2wt for horseshoe meadows and the west fork.  Cannot wait to try it out. :)

2wt might be good.

I've read up on a few rods by Sage, I believe.  0wt and 00wt (???) rods.  Maybe these should be what I'm looking for?  Obviously I won't be able to cast very far, but that's alright.  I can't, anyway :)

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
my 2 wt rod was $70 and it will do for where I go.

I had a problem with the case (UPS almost broke the rod and case in shipping).  I contacted the maker of the rod and i received a new carry tube in one week free of charge.

at the RCL event casting 30' with that rod was not a problem at all (no wind) and used a 3wt line.

Sage 0  and 00 will set you back $600, but it is a much better rod.
Look only line for a Gray's rod 2wt for $175 or a winston before going over the $200 mark.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
Brewskier-forget about 0 weight or 00 weight flyrods,  they are so light you can barely cast them.  Again,  is your finger sensitive?  That is your strike indicator right there.  I can feel a bite from a 4 inch fish up Azusa Canyon with a four weight or a 6 weight rod.  The weight of the rod is not the indicator of you feeling the bite.  Again,  check into getting a guide,  or mentor to teach you the ropes. 

One more thing,  which areas are you fishing?  In the middle of campgrounds?    Park at the flats,  hike up to where the creek comes out of Ruby Lake,  or goes into Chickenfoot lake,  and fish those sections of creeks.  Fish down from Ruby,  or up from Chicken,  or just below Gem lakes.  Those areas are packed with brook trout and you should get a better feel for the bite there.
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
Here are a few ideas....all apply to dry flies, not nymphs....
You say you can't see your fly. Try any of the parachute patterns (Adams is a good one), the parachute allows the fly to float higher, and allows you to see the fly.
You can see the end of the floating fly line...try drawing an imaginary circle on the water the approximate length of your leader from the end of the fly line...if anything breaks the surface within that circle, strike back...if you don't hook a fish, all you have to do is re-cast.
Keep your rod tip up, the line tight, and your left (non casting) hand on the line. Many times the fish will hook him or herself by striking against the rod itself. With the rod tip low, the fish is striking against the line, and your hand, without utilizing the flex of the rod.
Seeing a trout come to the surface to take your fly is one of the most exciting parts of fly fishing for me, the main reason I don't nymph fish ( I also don't like watching a "bobber"...nothing wrong with that, just not my thing). The longer you do it, the easier it will become to recognize what's going on out there.
Terry is right, a lighter rod, or a shorter one, won't necessarily improve your ability to feel the fish, and they are tough to cast. I do have lighter rods (71/2 ft 4 wt,. 6 ft. 3 wt.) for the back country, and the little brookies are a lot of fun to catch on them, but sometimes they're more frustrating than they're worth, especially in the wind.
Another thought...are you fishing upstream? If so, try fishing downstream for a while...the current will keep everything tight for you, allowing you to feel any strikes. After you get use to that, you can fish any direction you choose.
The main advice is to practice, practice, practice....the more you do it, the more sense everything makes.

stanbery

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
2wt might be good.
I've read up on a few rods by Sage, I believe.  0wt and 00wt () rods.  Maybe these should be what I'm looking for?  Obviously I won't be able to cast very far, but that's alright.  I can't, anyway

The 0wt to 000wt weight from Sage are very nice rods but pricey unless you build it your self. $335.00 plus your labor to build it so it is not to bad. These are sensitive rods but a little pricey
http://www.flyrodbuildingkits.com/online-store.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=158

Factory built rods look into TFO Signature II Series Fly Rod little more money and a longer rod.
TFO Professional II Rods they carry a 6 foot one that is nice for small fish and you can feel the bites
Redington or St. Croix also make some short rod as well.

One other option for you would be a lamiglass 7 foot 3wt fiber glass rod. They have a really good feel for the fish as well.
Here is some links to the pictures
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/stanbery/Fly%20Rods/Lamiglas%207%20foot%203wt/
This is one that i finshed for a friend of mine and just loves the rod.

Sometimes you can find them on ebay.

Jon

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »
Nice work, Jon.  Very cool to build your own rods (or your friends)!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

stanbery

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »
Thanks

Glad you like it. I would post them here but I did not think there would be a lot of intrest here.

Jon

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
nice work Jon

What is your take on fiber glass vs. carbon fiber?
Rod casting and other other factors.
Used a fiber glass rod once about 15years ago, don't remember much about it.

Seeing a trout come to the surface to take your fly is one of the most exciting parts of fly fishing for me, the main reason I don't nymph fish ( I also don't like watching a "bobber"...nothing wrong with that, just not my thing). The longer you do it, the easier it will become to recognize what's going on out there.

Scout,
Great advice and I am with you on dries.
Tried fishing nymphs at the creek and in MT, did not get the number of hits as purist tell me I would get.
so off to listen to another one of your advices to Brewskier "practice, practice, practice".

stanbery

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »
ab-sn
What is your take on fiber glass vs. carbon fiber?
Rod casting and other other factors.
Used a fiber glass rod once about 15years ago, don't remember much about it.

Fiber Glass rods are slow to medium action rods kind of like a Bamboo Rod but a little faster.
Carbon Fiber rods the IM6 blanks are slow to medium action or moderate. Good for a newbie to fly fishing. Dry fly and nymph fishing
IM7 are moderate to medium action+  Good for dry fly action, nymph and some streamers as long as they are not heavy
IM8 are fast action rods, not a good dry fly rod, Nymph and streamers work well.
Jon 

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
thank Jon
that was great information.