Author Topic: Eastern Sierras 8/23 - 8/26  (Read 4521 times)

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Eastern Sierras 8/23 - 8/26
« on: September 04, 2012, 02:14:23 PM »
Headed up on the 24th to find a cure for my "Rock Creek Fever"  started out at Lake Sabrina, rented the half day boat - did pretty well caught/released 12 fish  :fishing3:   - as we were headed in caught 1 inexperienced kayaker who flipped the yak over couldn't get back on it, fished him and all his gear out of the water. My question is - Who brings a FULL backpack out on a kayak - it had to weigh over 50 pounds - sure it was water logged, but I couldn't even get it up in the boat, no wonder he flipped - bummer he lost his $ 300 fly pole. Left about 1300- headed to RCL - went straight to get my pie   :pie2:   -YUM YUM YUM,  fished alittle  :fishing3: then set up camp,  :camping:  fished some more  :fishing3:  then just enjoyed the fresh air and relaxed around the camp fire   :campfire2: In the AM headed out to Silver lake - had never fished there - did the half day boat - caught 3, saw a bald eagle circling and dive for a fish - it was preety cool - I would post pictures BUT my husband set camera down - when his pole went off - when he reeled in grabbed the net to bring the fish in and flipped my camera into the water, because he set the camera on the net somehow - So the smileys will be my pictures for this post, thank god I had put a new sd card in it, so I only lost about 10 pictures. Left Silver lake went back to RCL had 2 pieces of pie and went fishing - fishing was a little slow only caught 3, but the fresh air,scenery and relaxation were worth it. Sunday morning packed up camp headed home with the usual stops at Schatz and Jacks. All in all it was a nice trip - didn't cure the fever but put it in remission for about a month - and I get a new camera out of it -
Kim

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Sierras 8/23 - 8/26
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »
OOPS Subject should read 8/24 - 8/26
Kim

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
It sucks that you lost your camera but it sounds like a great trip anyways. How far are the temps dropping down at night?

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
Troutmom, glad you got out and had fresh air, pie...and more pie.  Ought to wet your appetite for the next trip.

On the Sliver Lake website in the Fishing report they have posted a picture of a 6lb. plus brown out of Rush Creek down where it enters into Grant.  I can imagine your hubby's net grab was in hopes of something like that!  :fishing3:  Supposedly the fishing is getting better as the water temps are cooling down.

Next time a new camera and pictures  :clap:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:26:54 PM »
It sucks that you lost your camera but it sounds like a great trip anyways. How far are the temps dropping down at night?
The weather was great - upper 60s lower 70s during day and I think mid 40s during night - it didnt feel that cold to me - I slept in shorts & tshirt - I am usually cold in layers of clothes
Kim

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:31:34 PM »
Sounds like you had a good fishing and pie ing trip.  :clap: :clap:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
nice trip report Kim

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »
Nice trip report Troutmom!  Wish you had some pictures but accidents happen!  Now atleast you can get a new camera! 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:33:58 PM »
August 31 thru Sept 3  30's and Ice :cold: at night /Convict Lake. The first signs of the trees turning  :clap: Saw a Bald eagle and a Golden Eagle  :clap:
Did some  :camping:  :hiking2:  :fishing3:  :wood:  :campfire2:  :doglick:

Now I have to wait for Thanksgiving ,we will be spending our 4th year in a cabin at Convict  :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 06:57:15 AM »
Thanks for the report, sounds like a good trip.
Sorry about your camera, thats a bummer.
Hope to cure my "Fever" in a couple of weeks.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !