Author Topic: Truckee area, August 29-30, 2012  (Read 2815 times)

eastcoastlurker

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Truckee area, August 29-30, 2012
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »
Hello again.  My annual California trip did not take me as far as the Eastern Sierra this year, but here is a report about special regulation waters near Truckee.  This will be in three parts: the bad, the good, and a product review.

I started out at the Little Truckee River, the meadow section between Boca and Stampede Reservoirs.  This is barbless hook water, with special size limits (which I didnít bother to memorize as I was C&R).  Fishing reports warned that flows were very low and fishing was tough, and boy they werenít kidding.  The water was clear and cold, but the riffles were obviously not fishable, and what should have been nice-looking slicks were shallow glassy pools.  I spent most of a morning blind-casting unenthusiastically to the far bank and the center of current hoping for unseen deeper water.  Turns out the fish were holding under midstream boulders, which are rare in this stretch.  Raised a huge rainbow but didnít hook it, and that was all the excitement there.

Next was Martis Lake, an impoundment just outside Truckee.  It has an interesting history as a planned refuge for Lanhontan cutthroats, but attempts to eradicate previously planted brown trout were unsuccessful.  It remains a C&R special reg water, with browns, bows and allegedly some Lahontans.  Unfortunately, there has been significant residential and golf course development upstream, so the fertilizer load means heavy weed growth in the summer.  It may be possible to fish from canoes or float tubes, but shore casting was impossible.  Martis Creek downstream from the dam is also special reg water but was a weedy trickle and not even worth the hike down.

I drove around looking for reasonable water--there is always the Truckee River but I prefer smaller streams.  Prosser Creek above Prosser Creek Reservoir (not special reg, but a productive area for me in the past) was barely flowing and the reservoir was down significantly.  But the flow from the dam was ample, which validated a plan for the next morning.

eastcoastlurker

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Truckee area, August 29-30, 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
I fished the canyon section of Prosser Creek between the reservoir and the confluence with the Truckee River.   This is a special reg water, no bait and barbless hooks only.  It is about a one-mile stretch and is accessible from a pullout on I-80 (where I parked) and also by 4-wheel drive from the dam.  This is a medium-sized creek, about 10 yards across.  The gradient is almost ideal, with riffles and rapids providing pocket water, and deep slicks with good bottom structure.  Even better, the water from the reservoir was slightly turbid, so the fish had great cover and could hold about everywhere.   I raised a bunch of small to medium sized browns, all of which I lost because of my terrible barbless-hook fu.  Then I tied into a 16-inch wild rainbow (pictured), the largest I have ever caught. 

The canyon section ends at what appears to be an old dam (pictured), and I pulled a 12-inch brown from the deep pool there.  The last half-mile to the current reservoir dam (pictured) is a meadow stream, which I did not have time to fish (the flat horizon in the photo is the dam).  So, only two fish in a hard and mostly dispiriting day and a half that nonetheless ended well.  I can certainly recommend the canyon section of lower Prosser Creek for C&R enthusiasts who prefer medium-sized or smaller creeks.

eastcoastlurker

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:58:28 PM »
Now for a product review.  Most of the largest fish in my Virginia and Truckee reports were taken on a new-to-me spinner from Mepps called Thunderbug.  The marketing is kind of hokey--the spinner is supposed to imitate an insect, and the blade is shaped like a wing and painted with veins.  Furthermore, the body features "turns" like a fly, and the color schemes are named for insects (White Miller, Dragonfly, Grasshopper, etc).  However, it is difficult to see how a spinner suddenly imitates a bug.  As a spinner, the broad bolo-style blade turns very well at low speeds making it effective for downstream retrieves in streams, which is how I do most of my fishing. It has replaced the Mepps Black Fury as my go-to lure and I highly recommend it.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »
Thank you for the reports and the pictures were great.

I plan to fish that area next year, hopefully it will have more water.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
ECL (eastcoastlurker), thanks for the in depth report as well as the review of the Mepps spinners.  I think my wife will let me buy one more lure.

So many lures, so little time.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
Nice report and pictures eastcoastlurker.  Nice size rainbow, and wild too!  I might have to get me a new lure now.  Thanks for the report.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."