Author Topic: Fall Trips  (Read 7006 times)

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Fall Trips
« on: September 06, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
From now to mid October is a great time to visit not only RCL canyon but many other areas in the eastern sierras.  We leave next Wednesday for a 5 day trip (staying at Tom's this time) and I am just wondering about water levels in and around the area.  We bounce around a lot on this annual trip: RCL, South Lake, North Lake, Convict Lake, Lake Mary.  So any feedback on a place that might be done for this season as far a fishing would be helpful to save the drive. 

Lucky me, I get to come back in early October (my absolute favorite time), but I want to make sure and show the friends some good fishing fun this trip.  And I always appreciate this board and all the input and comments.  :clap:

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Trips
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »
We were at Convict and Eastfork in the last few weeks and although the water was low there were a ton of fish . If you go to Convict look for the eagles Golden and Bald . Getting cold at night ,ice all over the tent and in the 30's . :cold:
LOVE this time of year  LUCKY YOU !!!  :woot2:
The Creek is Waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
Fall is my favorite time in the Sierras, few people, crisp chilly nights... I have planned about 30 days camping until the end of the season..

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »
All the lakes you mention are still being stocked and all should be great fishing with the fewer folks around.  The fall season is my favorite time to visit and fish.  And the fall colors should be special this year.  Have a great time!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »
Water is low but fishing continues to be good.  DFG will continue to stock until the snow comes, or the first week in November, which ever comes first.  We are headed up about that time too for a nice Fall trip to Rock Creek.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:37:36 PM by RockNCreekGirl »
The creek is waiting...

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
Heading up to Saddlebag tomorrow to fish the lakes Sunday. W/b in the RCL surrounds through Tuesday night. Hope to hook up with Old Sarge as I remember he w/b in French.  i don't even know what car he has!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »
I just came back from a quick Labor Day weekend fishing trip and visited Saddlebag Lake one afternoon.  Woolly Buggers did OK then went cold.  Tried a #10 Peacock Lady and fishing was great again.  For the 20 Lakes basin, Adams, Mosquito, Black Gnat or my favorite the Elk Hair Caddis did the trick.  Hope you have a successful fishing trip!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:01:37 AM »
We will be heading up in a couple of weeks for 6 days, can`t wait. September has always been a goodtime for us up there.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
Two weeks ago we spent a week at Big Meadow, and while the creek was lower than usual, I still managed to catch a few fish right in the campground. There seemed to be a lot more trees that had fallen across the creek this year. There were no problems with mosquitoes, but we were visited by a lot of hornets when we had food out. Check your soda cans before you drink! As a side note, the campground hosts for Iris/Big Meadow, the Russells (great people) gave me the email address to address any concerns to. I sent an email suggesting that they consider grading the entrance to Big Meadow and add some more gravel. The road's getting pretty rough. I also asked if they could consider upgrading some of the older fire rings.

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »
Had a great trip.  Water was low at South Lake so only shore fishing there.  I got a 2lb 15oz rainbow at Convict (see Convict's web site for a photo if interested) on a lure which was fun.  Rock Creek lake was great one day and very slow another.  Regardless, weather was perfect and can't wait to get back up there next weekend.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »
Michelle, We have a Convict Lake Celebrity.  Nice fish!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »

Somewhere in Rock Creek taken yesterday.  Know this spot?  I know Neil and Todd do...
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 07:05:27 AM »
Wow, Aspens are popping. Thanks for the pic Tim. Fall is the best!

Wheeler Ridge?
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »
Yeah, up that way...Sand Canyon Rd...
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
Congrats on the trout Michelle!

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
Thanks on the fish teejay and Tex.  We have one more trip this year, starting tomorrow :).  Also going to take in the car show in Bishop on Saturday.  It's been a great show the last few times we have gone.  And once again I will try out my un-skilled photography on the awesome fall colors we get to enjoy this time of year.

Much to do this weekend in addition to catching fish :fishing3:

ose

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »
Thanks for the Desktop Background Creek Dude that will get me through the winter. If you don't mind.
Ose

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
Lucky You  :camping:
The Creek is Waiting...