Author Topic: Bishop Creek Canyon 9/14-9/15  (Read 6652 times)

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Bishop Creek Canyon 9/14-9/15
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Friday
Tried to take today off, but the boss wanted me at the office for an hour. So after our meeting I was on the road at 9. I got into bishop around 1:15 and was at Intake 2 by 2.

My friends were  out on their tubes and slaying the fish. I tossed a Zspoon and C&R About 5 fish in 20 minutes.

I then hit up south lake and released about 25+ fish on zspoons and Sierra slammers.

Saturday
Got a wake up text from Andrew telling me to get my lazy butt up and meet them at Denny's however I slept in and went with the buddy's I was staying with to South Lake after the great bite the day before and it didn't disappoint.

Arrived at South lake by 7:30 and promptly started to fill my tube, however as I was about to head out I heard a small leak and had to scratch tubing.  I thought my day was ruined, but it was a blessing in disguise!

I worked the rocks by the dam at South Lake and got into another Epic bite on jigs.  Easily caught 30+ fish before I decided to try and find Andrew and his buddy Mike.  I left and made the stop at Intake 2 and sure enough found the two.

We decided to go to North Lake which turned out to have a great metal bite, and Andrew was the hot stick there.  He had a fish or a bite on every cast for a while.  Nothing was safe from Andrew here!  :happy::happy::happy:

For lunch we stopped at Lake Sabrina and I had a patty melt and some pie.  The PIE was great!

After lunch I talked the both of them to hit up South lake.  At first the bite was slow, with a fish every 5 minutes or so.  Even found a lure and tossed it out and got hit on it.  It was a crawdad crankbait.

As the sun started to go behind the clouds, the bite picked up.  The fishing was on fire then.  At one point Andrew filmed the hot action and I got 3 fish in a minute, and mike having another one to make 4 in a minute.  Might have been one of the best bites I have been in this year.  Just amazing, but the fish wanted only jigs, and natural colors too, no pink, chartreuse, orange, or metal.  Can't wait to see that video.

As the sun was setting I decided to head back down and head home Saturday night instead of Sunday during the day.  Made it back home before 11 and was able to sleep in a nice comfy bed.

Here are some pictures as well as a 360 view of North lake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxmKSAGGqkE

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Creek Canyon 9/14-9/15
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:03:30 AM »
Great turn around trip, IH.  Sounds like you had phenomenal fishing.  Your pictures make me want to go even more badly than I was already feeling.

Thanks for the post!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Fredb

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
Why is it that the trip back home always seems longer than the trip up there

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:45:18 AM »
"After lunch I talked the both of them to hit up South lake.  At first the bite was slow, with a fish every 5 minutes or so.  Even found a lure and tossed it out and got hit on it.  It was a crawdad crankbait."

Fish every 5 minutes is slow?  Thatís 20 per hour or 100+ if you fish all day!  Thatís an Epic day in my book Incrediblehuck!

A friend was up there on that same weekend fishing at Intake 11 and was killing with many stockers and some browns sprinkled in.

Thanks for the report!

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 09:39:49 AM »
"After lunch I talked the both of them to hit up South lake.  At first the bite was slow, with a fish every 5 minutes or so.  Even found a lure and tossed it out and got hit on it.  It was a crawdad crankbait."

Fish every 5 minutes is slow?  Thatís 20 per hour or 100+ if you fish all day!  Thatís an Epic day in my book Incrediblehuck!

A friend was up there on that same weekend fishing at Intake 11 and was killing with many stockers and some browns sprinkled in.

Thanks for the report!

Still great fishing, just slower then it was earlier in the day.  It was one of the best bites right after that, that I have ever been in.

Intake 2 was great for guys on the tubes, and down by the dam or off the point where the creek comes in.

pc2mac

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
Looks  like an awesome trip!  What kind of car do you drive? I wish I could get that kind of range in my car!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:36:19 PM »
IH
Great report, I will be up there this coming weekend. If the fishing is half as good as you guys had I will be stoked.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »
Looks  like an awesome trip!  What kind of car do you drive? I wish I could get that kind of range in my car!

Chevy HHR.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:17:34 AM »
It looks like GREAT times/report. Keep 'em coming.  I too was in the ES the 8th-12th different spots; not as good a result.  Trip report coming soon.
The 469 miles till empty I assume is on a full tank.  The gauge to the left is the engine temp not the fuel level. Had me scratching my head. 469 miles on a 1/4 tank eeeeeyooow!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

pc2mac

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »
Oh, that's right, I think I've pictures of your HHR in previous posts. Nice!  I love my Outback XT but, I can barely get over 22 MPG on the highway. Probably flooring it too much! ;-)

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:21:31 AM »
It looks like GREAT times/report. Keep 'em coming.  I too was in the ES the 8th-12th different spots; not as good a result.  Trip report coming soon.
The 469 miles till empty I assume is on a full tank.  The gauge to the left is the engine temp not the fuel level. Had me scratching my head. 469 miles on a 1/4 tank eeeeeyooow!

That was a little under a full tank.

Best thing about the HHR is that everything I need for a trip fits in it.

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »
Nice trip Huck!
Are the Z Spoons that you referenced made by Whittman -that unfortunately went out of business-or some other company?

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »
Nice trip Huck!
Are the Z Spoons that you referenced made by Whittman -that unfortunately went out of business-or some other company?

Nope they are made by Lip Ripperz.

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.