Author Topic: Sierra Sampler  (Read 4346 times)

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Sierra Sampler
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »
I recently spent a few days with my nephew checking out some new stretches of Sierra water.
Making our base of operation in Mammoth gave us some several options for day trips.
Even though it was early evening as we pulled out of Bishop, I couldnít resist taking a detour at Tomís, and then on up the creek with visions of  not only scoring a grand slam, but also a piece of Rhubarb pie from the resort.
Iím not sure why I was craving Rhubarb pie so much - only having tasted it once many years ago at my grandmaís house back east. A touch of nostalgia I guess. Anyway, fishing and dessert can be powerful motivators.
I did well on my attempt at the slam, but the clincher to my success had been pinned on a fortuitous chance that some how a golden may have possibly been washed down from the high country. Although I quickly caught representatives of brown, rainbow, and brook, the golden was elusive. The odds were definitely not in my favor but it was fun trying.
We were having so much fun fishing that by the time we headed back to the resort it was too late and they were closed. The pie will have to wait for next year.

The leaves were starting to turn at higher elevation:

Browns:

Rainbows:

Brooks:

The next day we headed up towards the headwaters of the Owens for some spring creek fishing. The nephew only began fly fishing this year and already looked like a pro:

The best tasting water in the world - headed for L.A:

I imagine that the creek has larger fish but we only scored on the smaller models.
I briefly tried nymphing to change my luck, became frustrated, and switched back to dries:

Having already fished two eastside watersheds, we decided to make a quick drive over the crest and down to a westside stream:

This ďriverĒ was unbelievably low Ėankle deep- in places but still contained some fish holding structure. The water was crystal clear and the fish were skittish. I caught two nice rainbows; although I didnít get a picture because they really worked me and I was preoccupied with just managing my line and getting them to hand in order release them quickly (need to buy a net).

On the way home we detoured to the end of the road above Big Pine and hiked up the creek a ways. Itís funny, the nephew caught only rainbows and I only browns:

It surprised me that all the eastside creeks that we sampled actually had a decent flow.
We both had a great time and were also able to work on improving our skills.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Sierra Sampler
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »
Thanks, teejay, you've whet my appetite to get up and go.  Fun times.  I'll be hitting Rush Creek in about a week and a half.  Going to try to take pictures this trip for a report, but that's a challenge for me to keep the camera from falling into the water. 

Nice to know the leaves are starting to change.  The back of Walker Lake is another spot I'm headed for to nap and take some pics of the aspens in fall foliage.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:19:54 AM by saudust »
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »
great report teejay!   love the stories, love the photos... and the smile on your nephews face says it all:)

too bad about no pie tho...   :(

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »
teejay, sounds like a fun trip. How low did the temps drop to at night?

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
Nice pictures and thanks for the report.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
Great report/pictures. Smile on the kid's face is priceless. Pass along the fishing gene!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »
great post and pictures

thanks Teejay   :clap:

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »
teejay, sounds like a fun trip. How low did the temps drop to at night?

Gary, The lows were in the mid forties when we were there, but it was down right toasty during mid day.
I understand that the lows are currently in the mid thirties.
The old mountain mantra applies: dress in layers

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
Thanks, I'm wanting to squeeze in one more camping trip and one last backpack before it gets too cold but I keep having to push things back.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
Good info and advice teejay, thanks.