Author Topic: Backpacking the Canyon?  (Read 2229 times)

backpackindude

Backpacking the Canyon?
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
 :hiking2:   :camping:    :campfire2:    :fishing3:    :doglick:

Hi there,
Im just got back from a backpacking trip in Yosemite.  Our trip had to end short and I still have the bug for the Sierras.  We drove out from the 120 from Yosemite, and was interested in doing the 20 Lakes Basin trail (about 10 miles, depending if the ferry is running) or the Mosquito Flats trail (not very long hike either) in the Rock Creek Canyon.  As for me,  I just want to get away for a few days, 3day/2 nite kind of deal.  I'll be bringing my dog w/me as well.  I'm pretty much looking for someone who wants to go and is willing to split the cost. 
I'd like to go sometime within the next week or so.
Hope to hear from ya!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Backpacking the Canyon?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:53:06 AM »
:hiking2:   :camping:    :campfire2:    :fishing3:    :doglick:

Hi there,
Im just got back from a backpacking trip in Yosemite.  Our trip had to end short and I still have the bug for the Sierras.  We drove out from the 120 from Yosemite, and was interested in doing the 20 Lakes Basin trail (about 10 miles, depending if the ferry is running) or the Mosquito Flats trail (not very long hike either) in the Rock Creek Canyon.  As for me,  I just want to get away for a few days, 3day/2 nite kind of deal.  I'll be bringing my dog w/me as well.  I'm pretty much looking for someone who wants to go and is willing to split the cost. 
I'd like to go sometime within the next week or so.
Hope to hear from ya!

Don't worry about the ferry if you're doing the 20 Lakes Basin trail.  Take the western trail around the lake... it's almost completely level and it doesn't take long at all to get to the back side.  It doesn't add much time at all to the day. 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »
The water taxi service is closed for the season at Saddlebag Lake Resort.  I agree with Brewskier that it adds very little time to your hike (maybe 30 min one-way).  Best part is you will have the whole 20 lakes to yourselves (+ dog).  The fishing up there is great if you fish.

As for Little Lakes Valley, you really canít go wrong.  You can make your base camp at Chickenfoot Lake, Gem Lakes or Treasure Lakes, all good areas for camping and for taking off from on your day off.  One caution:  if you hike up Treasure Lakes, donít take the trial up from Long Lake.  The boulder hopping is too much and dangerous for dogs.  VW sized boulders and large cracks to fall into.  Take the route from Gem Lakes if you decide on that destination.  Unless you have a small dog you can carry?  Mine weighs in at about 90 lbs. and was too heavy for me to carry.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

backpackindude

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
thanks for the reply and advice guys, ive been to both places many times so im very familiar with them both.  im always looking for new places to go though. especially places that allow dogs to be on the trail.  hes a biggin, husky/lab.  im looking at a map right now and there are lakes to the north west?  Pioneer basin lakes, grinnell lake?? any thoughts on those?

and is anyone leaving the LA area for 395 anytime soon and have an extra seat??

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »
thanks for the reply and advice guys, ive been to both places many times so im very familiar with them both.  im always looking for new places to go though. especially places that allow dogs to be on the trail.  hes a biggin, husky/lab.  im looking at a map right now and there are lakes to the north west?  Pioneer basin lakes, grinnell lake?? any thoughts on those?

and is anyone leaving the LA area for 395 anytime soon and have an extra seat??

I wish.... :(