Author Topic: Another sad passing  (Read 3720 times)

Fredb

Another sad passing
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another sad passing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »
I loved his show when I was a kid. I always sang along with "Put another candle on my birthdaycake".

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:39:44 AM »
Another song:
Laugh and be happy and the world will laugh with you
When people see you smiling they can't help smiling too
When you look out the window to a dark and gloomy day
Break out a smile and in a while the gloom will go away
So laugh and be happy with a merry melody
A song will make a hat rack look like a Christmas tree
Get rid of worry in a hurry, chase the blues away
Just laugh and be happy all the live.... long..... day..

The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
The golden years of TV. One of the good guys. RIP

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »
I loved that show when I was a kid, also Hobo Kelly. I got my birthday called out one time and I thought it was so cool.  :rotflmao:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
Yes, another part of our childhood has gone. If you grew up in LA (and you are old enough) do you remember Engineer Bill? He passed in 2008. Here's a clip from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzvdlE45XEI
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Fredb

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
Sure do, I remember sitting in front of our old black and white TV with a glass of milk....red light-green light

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
Sheriff John and Engineer Bill, I grew up playing Red Light-Green Lite and watching them both. Then came The Nelsons and Bonanza. I remember arriving in Bishop when I was only 8 years old and it was still dark in the morning hours but the fishing stores were open there were freezers outside with large trout in them, Jack,s was open probably at 4:30 in the morning. Breakfast and up the road from Tom's Place to Rock Creek. The asphalt only went up three miles from 395 after that it was dirt rocks and what today we call offroad trails to the canyon. I don't remember fire rings in those days the Lodge was there in what is now the Pine Grove and Upper Pine Grove campgrounds. My Dad gave us money to buy RC Colas and Ice Cream bars every afternoon after fishing all morning. Our Generation grew up very different. Our children grew up different, and our Grandchildren are growing up in a very different world. Before I read this post from you Fred and Claremont Dude I had driven from our home in South Orange County to North Hollywood to pick up our Grandaughter and Willow our Granddog. Mimi and Papa will have them as guests for three days because our daughter left at 6:30 this morning to Mammoth to see outdoor accounts and set them up for what we all hope will be a good winter. Her husband works from 4:00 to 3:00 in the morning in the video game business. They do well and live a good but crazy life. What happened? My mother stayed at home when I grew up she didn't even have a drivers license, she kept a house so clean we had to take our shoes off when we came in from playing outside. Now our children use day care, pre-school, housekeepers, gardeners etc. I'm no fool as I know what happened, but thanks for taking me back to the memories of when things were so simple.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:38:24 PM »
How I wish I could go back to the 50's and 60's, life was so much better then. I really miss those early years. We did fine without all the wazoo stuff they have today..

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 08:55:22 AM »
I cant imagine growing up now.  i think of all of the simple things i did that i would most likely not be allowed to do now... taking off in the morning on my bike to go play with friends in the neighborhood with instructions to 'be home in time for dinner'.      and that dinner..  always home made,  always around a table... and with everyone there every night...
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....